Installing Redhead steering box - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-2007 Super Duty. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are not engine-specific.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2006, 10:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Installing Redhead steering box

I went to there shop today and the guy took me back and showed me how my steering box works and what happens when I keep tightening down the adjustment nut and why I have so much slop.
Very informative and nice people.

So any ways I bought one and going to install this weekend. Anything I should know or do or have to put this in? Is it easy as it seems? What kinda fluid do I want and just fill it and move steering wheel back and forth?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2006, 04:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Re: Installing Redhead steering box

you made a great choice, I was the original poster on this site about these guys and they make a great product. I live in Gig Harbor WA. so there was too much traffic to drive there but customer service was very good. easy install one bolt takes off the lower steering shaft then pull the tie rod and fluid lines then three bolts that hold it to the frame, the real ***** is getting the pitman arm off the old box! it WILL be on there good so be prepared for a battle. I filled with amsoil synthetic ATF. started the truck and SLOWLY worked the wheel back and forth until reservoir was full. I haven't given my steering wonder a second thought since. hope this helps. ~Aaron
2000 F-250 S\C 4X4, rebuilt engine \ DP Tuned \ 3 Gauge cluster \ "cackle cure"- FX cross over fuel return \ shimmed fuel reg. 69 psi. \ new rear-end \ rebuilt tranny \ transgo tugger shift kit w\ non-modulated T\C lock up \6.0 trans. cooler \ wicked wheel \ \ open element intake \ magnaflow muffler \ ccv mod \ HX mod.\ Redhead steering gear \ Head light harness and lenz up grade \ Bilstien shocks \ in tank and pre-pump mods.\ and a HOLE in my wallet so big I can park my truck in it!
elkkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2006, 10:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have bought Saginaw boxes from Redhead before and have had great results of their products.

Also went back to see the shop.

Good luck with your install.

I have no superduty experience with them as I have no complaints with how my old 99 handles or drives. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Mag-Hytec trans pan, 08 Diff cover.
2" leveling kit. RS9000 Shocks. B&W Turnover Ball/ Companion Hitch. Airlift 5000 airbags.
LineX, 20% tint, Weathertech liners.

2012 Heartland Sundance 3100RB 5th wheel. 36' @ 12k pounds.
468LC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2006, 12:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

What are the advantages of this unit over stock? I might be interested in one.

powerstrokenation.com

http://community.webshots.com/user/freddyfast9

www.blackwidowdiesel.com
www.wideopenperformance.net
www.terminatorengineering.com

My Cell: Questions, comments, cuss me out, 734-652-7639
freddyfast9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2006, 04:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

I ordered mine 2 days ago after hearing so many good things about theyre gears. They Machine out the housings and install torrington bearings and
custom fit each worm and piston assembly with special ordered precise oversized ball bearing.
2001 F250 4X4 Lariat SC, long bed, 4R100 all valve bodys done by BTS pump by BTS updated ford converter, afe stageII PG7, DP stk 60T 80E 120R, ITP CCV mod, Bilstein's, Firestone ride right 2330, MBRP 409 stainless 4" turbo back muffler delete, PML rear differential cover, Autometer PhantomII Boost/Pyro/Trans in A piller pod, Dieselsite BRV+, Dieselsite coolant filter, Red Head steering gear, Rancho RS97488,power stroke nation.com
vapstroke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2006, 07:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hmmmm, very interesting I may have to get one of them there things.

powerstrokenation.com

http://community.webshots.com/user/freddyfast9

www.blackwidowdiesel.com
www.wideopenperformance.net
www.terminatorengineering.com

My Cell: Questions, comments, cuss me out, 734-652-7639
freddyfast9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2006, 12:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

What is their web site or phone number?
99.5 F-350 BTS Trans / Termys / Swamps 200/30 AA Injectors / Swamps IDM / GT38R BB Turbo / AFE Stage 2 / DP/ Evans Coolant, ART Rotors / Dynatrac Spin Free HD Front Hubs, 4 inch Stainless Exhaust, Auto Meter Cobalt Gauges.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2006, 08:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
What is their web site or phone number?

[/ QUOTE ]

RedHead Steering Gears, 900 N. 127th, Seattle, WA. (206) 364-3333

http://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/
'02 F-350, auto, 4wd, 4:10, CC, DRW, LWB, Lariat, ISSPRO x 5, MBRP 4" SS, AIC, AIS, DTLS, BriteBox, Red-Head steering gear box, coolant bypass, 203 t-stat, 6.0 cooler, 120k... mostly stock but strong, pulls and hauls whatever I ask!!!
Fastcolts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2006, 04:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

elkkiller - a few items, please:

1) How does the steering shaft through the firewall come loose from the upper end of the steering box?

2) Did you remove/drop the pitman arm to count the number of splines to order the correct box or how else to be able to count them?

3) any "gotcha's" to be aware of during removal and installation?

Thanks!
'02 F-350, auto, 4wd, 4:10, CC, DRW, LWB, Lariat, ISSPRO x 5, MBRP 4" SS, AIC, AIS, DTLS, BriteBox, Red-Head steering gear box, coolant bypass, 203 t-stat, 6.0 cooler, 120k... mostly stock but strong, pulls and hauls whatever I ask!!!
Old 05-28-2006, 04:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

1) There is a 14mm bolt on the shaft that goes to box splines, loosen bolt and take out and pull up shaft out of way.

2) There is 2 16mm nuts that are on top of box that need to be backed off and lines pulled out, I just put a oil pan under truck and let spill out.

3) I just told them what truck I had and they got me the right one.

4)I left pitman arm on then dropped the box and got a puller as tight as i could get it and beat the pitman arm with a hammer and it popped off...was the hardest part by far, it was stuck on there hard.
Then I installed the pitman arm on new box before putting box back on.
I have an after market pitman arm and drop bracket so don't know how much room with stock stuff.

O wait, you asked for elkkiler opinion not mine...sorry please disregard all answers [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2006, 05:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

rstaichi - Thanks! I asked elkkiller since he had responded earlier with a "how to." Sounds like you were successful without too much difficulty. I am a fair hand with a wrench but do not wish to get something halfway apart and wish I had not started.

I see that you have an '04 and mine is an '02. When I called, they said it could be one of two boxes depending on the number of splines on the sector.

What do you think about just dropping the pitman arm with a pickle fork and leaving it attached to the tie rod? Any surprises along the way?

Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-28-2006, 05:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

I couldn't find one big enough and thought it was easy to pull out with box where I could work on it.
Made it easy to put back too cuz I could use it as a handle.

To be honest it was a pain in the ass for me..at my apartment in the pouring down rain, but would be easy next time.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

I decided to make life easier I just went and picked up a new pitman arm and counted the splines on it. The arm was only like $20.00 wholesale from ford.
2001 F250 4X4 Lariat SC, long bed, 4R100 all valve bodys done by BTS pump by BTS updated ford converter, afe stageII PG7, DP stk 60T 80E 120R, ITP CCV mod, Bilstein's, Firestone ride right 2330, MBRP 409 stainless 4" turbo back muffler delete, PML rear differential cover, Autometer PhantomII Boost/Pyro/Trans in A piller pod, Dieselsite BRV+, Dieselsite coolant filter, Red Head steering gear, Rancho RS97488,power stroke nation.com
vapstroke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2006, 09:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I went to there shop today and the guy took me back and showed me how my steering box works and what happens when I keep tightening down the adjustment nut and why I have so much slop.
Very informative and nice people.

So any ways I bought one and going to install this weekend. Anything I should know or do or have to put this in? Is it easy as it seems? What kinda fluid do I want and just fill it and move steering wheel back and forth?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

So....what happens when you keep tightening down the adjustment nut?
"Early" '99, 4-98, F350 2WD CC DRW Lariat, Diablo tuner, Swamps 20* HPOP, 4" turbo back straight pipe & a 5" tip, S&B 12" open element air filter, CCV mod, EBV gutted, Vedder's built 4R100 with triple disk convertor, 6.0 trans cooler, Dfuser T/C lockup mod, DieselSite coolant filter, DieselSite TurboMaster, ITP reg fuel return, 4:10 gear w/lmtd slip,Centramatics, Western Diesel gauges, AIC, Ride Rite air bags & onboard compressor kit, Super-Vu convex mirrors, R.D.S. 91 gal. diamond plate aux fuel tank & toolbox combo, B&W gooseneck & 18K companion 5th wheel setup, Rhino lined, Drawtite 1,000lb leveler bars, Drawtite Activator II, Brown's Welding shop (New Braunfels,Tx)full grill/bumper/headlight guard, TurboNet V-Gate.

508,058 miles and still strokin'.

BioDiesel:
Feed a farmer, starve a terrorist.

N.R.A. Life Member
ProDriver18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2006, 12:40 AM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

fastcolts check your PM I sent you my help but it sounds like rstaichi has good advise too, Good luck it's easy! ~Aaron
2000 F-250 S\C 4X4, rebuilt engine \ DP Tuned \ 3 Gauge cluster \ "cackle cure"- FX cross over fuel return \ shimmed fuel reg. 69 psi. \ new rear-end \ rebuilt tranny \ transgo tugger shift kit w\ non-modulated T\C lock up \6.0 trans. cooler \ wicked wheel \ \ open element intake \ magnaflow muffler \ ccv mod \ HX mod.\ Redhead steering gear \ Head light harness and lenz up grade \ Bilstien shocks \ in tank and pre-pump mods.\ and a HOLE in my wallet so big I can park my truck in it!
elkkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.