Installing Satellite Radio - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-2007 Super Duty. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are not engine-specific.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2008, 09:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Installing Satellite Radio

I just bought a 2002 F250 XLT 4x4 SuperCab with 7.3 PSD.

I would like to connect my Sirius Satellite Radio to my existing Ford stock radio that has a 6 disk changer.

Couple questions:

How do I remove the radio?

Is there a connection that accept input from other devices like my Sat Radio?

Have any of you installed one on your truck?

Thanks.

John
Adirondacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2008, 10:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to NorthnPSD
Without a crossover (Which bypasses the sat, tape, etc), you will be hard-pressed to run it directly into the stereo.

Unless there's a Ford secret on here (My background is GM, and my Grand Prix ended up with a new deck), I'm not quite sure it can be done. Does the 6-disc have an aux in?

If so, all of my statements are null and void.

I am currently just using the FM Modulator on my sat.. because I swap it between vehicles.

PS, Mods - Can we bump this to upgrades/aftermarket?

Last edited by NorthnPSD; 03-31-2008 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Forgot something
NorthnPSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2008, 12:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

I believe your radio has 2 holes on each side which takes a very inexpensive tool to pop the radio out. Ford DIN Radio Removal Tools that is what the tool looks like, but I think Walmart sells the same thing for 2 or 3 bucks. You didn't say which Sirius radio you have. If you have a normal plug and play type radio, an FM wired adapter FM Direct Adapter (Wired Relay) is the cheapest way to get static free sound from your Sirius radio. It's very simple just pop out your radio, unhook your antenna, plug the FM adapter into the back of your radio, plug the truck antenna back into the little box on the FM adapter, then run the wire to the back of your Sirius radio or dock. Connect the wire to the FM out on your Sirius radio or dock, then put your factory radio back in. Now just make sure the FM transmitter is turned on in your Sirius radio, and tune your FM radio to the channel you selected. They also make Auxillary input connectors for alot of factory radios that have controls for a cd changer. TSS radio sells those as well, but they are much more expensive. Hope that helps answer your question.
2008 center console upgrade
no1hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2008, 08:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
There's a better way. I used a PIE adapter from Anco Auto Specialties that doesn't use the FM modulator. I tried the FM first. There is interference from FM stations in some places, plus the sound is just not very good. The PIE adaptor hard wires the Sirius to the Ford radio. It isn't hard to install at all.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mark Kovalsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2008, 06:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
There's a better way. I used a PIE adapter from Anco Auto Specialties that doesn't use the FM modulator. I tried the FM first. There is interference from FM stations in some places, plus the sound is just not very good. The PIE adaptor hard wires the Sirius to the Ford radio. It isn't hard to install at all.

Thanks Mark. That sounds like what I am looking for.

Which one in particular? Got a part#?

John

Last edited by Adirondacker; 04-02-2008 at 06:50 AM.
Adirondacker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2008, 07:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
It's complicated and I don't understand everything that goes into the selection. Email them at info@ancoauto.com. They were real good at identifying which one I needed for both cars that I installed them in.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mark Kovalsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2008, 09:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

If its a plug and play pull out the stock reciever, what I use is just a piece of wire bent in a U that fits sunggly in the holes, then push them in and it may need a little negotiation but it will come out. And what I use is the direct connect adapter from best buy, it is made by sirius, has a little box to it, and plugs into the antenna wire, and one other runs to the sirius receiever. So just pulg it all in, run all the wires, program the streo station to the reciever. And you will have a super clear and crisp sound from it. I love mine and it save me on my 600 mile trip home I made haha.
Its a work in progress: 2001 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke 60,000 miles. Have big dreams for this truck. LT305/75R16 mickey thompson mtx, Sirius satelite radio, Muffler Delete with 6 inch tip at a 45 out the back. KC Slim Lite Off Road lights. Bumper Guard. 2 10" subs with Alpine deck. Garmin GPS. DP Tuner- No start, 1200 rpm hi idle, 60hp Tow, 80hp econ, 100 hp performance, 120 hp Race, 140 hp aggressive. Isspro white dial chrome bezel blue pointer Pyro, Boost, and Trans temp in 3 pod a pilar mount
Buckshot341 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2008, 10:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adirondacker View Post
I just bought a 2002 F250 XLT 4x4 SuperCab with 7.3 PSD.

I would like to connect my Sirius Satellite Radio to my existing Ford stock radio that has a 6 disk changer.
As an added tip.....I am not sure about the Sirius but I have XM and they wanted to put the antenna on top of my truck and I did not like the idea of any drilling for it and I REALLY did not like the idea of them cutting through the windshield seal. I told them that it was ugly there and to find another spot to put it. They settled on the center of the dash right up against the window. It is relatively out of the way and I have had zero problems with the reception.
It has been in for 6 years.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

I use the Pie Adapter and a small magnetic antenna the sits on the rear of the roof with the wire coming out of the third brake light. Looks and works awesome.

Mercedes RENNtech SL65 AMG (685HP/870 lb-ft)
Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2008, 07:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

With my antenna sirius sent a magnetic one, that sticks to your roof, its in the back corner, just have the wire ran through the weatherstrpinng and up and out the door jam, not one single problem with it yet, and thats been 2 years and 3 diff vechicles its been on, not a one problem
Its a work in progress: 2001 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke 60,000 miles. Have big dreams for this truck. LT305/75R16 mickey thompson mtx, Sirius satelite radio, Muffler Delete with 6 inch tip at a 45 out the back. KC Slim Lite Off Road lights. Bumper Guard. 2 10" subs with Alpine deck. Garmin GPS. DP Tuner- No start, 1200 rpm hi idle, 60hp Tow, 80hp econ, 100 hp performance, 120 hp Race, 140 hp aggressive. Isspro white dial chrome bezel blue pointer Pyro, Boost, and Trans temp in 3 pod a pilar mount
Buckshot341 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2008, 04:02 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
The PIE is the same thing as an AUXillary in adapter. They are also sold at the website I linked earlier. Just be aware, that you will probably loose your CD changer with an aux adapter. The aux adapter plugs into the back of your factory radio where the cd changer connects, and kinda tricks your factory stereo into thinking there is a cd changer connected to it. Mark is right you do get cleaner sound from an aux adapter. I am a member of a very active Siruis message board, and cases of people having problems with a wired FM modulator are extremely rare, and the price is much lower. The built in FM transmitter in most cases is terrible, but wired is pretty solid. If money is no object, and you don't mind loosing your cd changer, then aux adapter is definitely the way to go. Check with a reputable car stereo dealer/installer to make sure I'm right, but I'm sure I am.
2008 center console upgrade

Last edited by no1hedberg; 04-04-2008 at 12:26 AM.
no1hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.