Leaking Truck cap - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-2007 Super Duty. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are not engine-specific.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2006, 03:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Leaking Truck cap

Ok i just purchased a "slightly" used cap for my truck bed. Problem is that after it rains i have lots of leaks arround the side windows. is there something that i can seal all the glass or change the weather stripes. I dont need to be opening the sides. Thank you.
VIKING82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2006, 05:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Leaking Truck cap

Who is the manufacture ?? You might check the screws on the inside trim ring of the windows to make sure they are tight.Could also use clear outdoor silicone around them but first i would have someone spray windows w/ a hose to find the leak. Good Luck
Old 10-12-2006, 08:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

The cap is made by Century, it has been sitting inside the garage for about 6 months before i got it.I have tried the spraying the windows and i have found out that leaks are on the ends of the windows. I am going with the silicone tomorrow. Thank you
VIKING82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2006, 10:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

The windows come sealed with foam tape, sticky on one side, from the factory. After a year or so the foam starts to shrink and thus it leaks. I've had my ARE cap resealed once already, barely two years after buying it and now it is leaking again.

I'm going to hit it with black silicone now...
Old 10-13-2006, 01:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

A couple of tips for working with silicone....I did my cap a year ago.

Get yourself a small spray bottle of rubbing alcohol. After taping the area off (depending on your skill level-not meant to be a joke-)apply a bead just big enough to fill the gap. Then spray a fine mist of alcohol on the bead and surrounding area. Alcohol will thin the silicone and when you finger smooth, it it won't stick to anything with alcohol on it, including your finger.

A old Plumbers' trick...though I'm a Carpenter...

Patrick

'06 F-350 4X SRW LB Crew Lariat to pull an '04 Malibu VLX and a 10k dump trailer.

Make Welfare as hard to get as a Building Permit....

http://photos.thedieselstop.com/show...hp?photo=32801
Faceplant409 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2006, 01:57 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you. I just got the Clear silicone from Autozone. It is a tube with a release handle so i am hoping not to mess it up to much. One question .Do i use silicon on the inside the cap arround the striping or outside because ,few people told me to used it on outside?(i dont know anything about silicone but that seems wrong to me).Also i am planing to seal all glass on the cap.My cap is paited inside with some kind of liner to match the red collr outside. Will that affect the seal.
viking88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.