OIL FILTER BYPASS - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-2007 Super Duty. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are not engine-specific.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2006, 04:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OIL FILTER BYPASS

Looking at all oil bypass filters. What are some of the main differences? Is it the bypass that make the big difference or the filters that are used?

Thanks,
Shep
2003 F350 Crew Cab, 6" Procomp Lift, Bilstein shocks, 35" tires, homade Tymer with K/N filter. Want to do gauges, exhaust and who knows where that will lead, gotta Harley to spend money on too, just don't have the money!!
shepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2006, 05:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

My Photos: (38)
Re: OIL FILTER BYPASS

The bypass allows you to use a more restrictive, better filtering filter, without sacrificing the full-flow capabilites the engine needs.

Check out the OilGuard.
gregrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2006, 05:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

I know what the bypass does. Just wanted to know differences between bypasses like the Oilguard, FS 2500, AMSOIL, and any other? Is it the way the bypass is designed that makes it better or the filter it self?
2003 F350 Crew Cab, 6" Procomp Lift, Bilstein shocks, 35" tires, homade Tymer with K/N filter. Want to do gauges, exhaust and who knows where that will lead, gotta Harley to spend money on too, just don't have the money!!
shepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2006, 05:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (18)

I think the basic concept of a bypass filter is that the bypass filter (not the full flow) is constantly taking a small amount of the oil and filtering it at a rate the full flow filter is not capable of (i.e. finer particle filtering). I'm guessing the filters themselves have the largest effect on cleaning process of the oil.

I actually have an Amsoil bypass filter I'll be installing soon. But, until I get a chance to install it, I just ordered a Filter Magnet to aid even more in the filtering process. Check these out if you haven't already.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think they're all pretty similar. Just check out the filter specs to see how fine it filters the oil. 1 micron is 1 micron, no matter who makes the filter. I have the Oilguard and I'm very happy with it. I ran the oil for 12,000 miles before changing out the filters and topping off and the oil analysis came back great.
DP-tuner (stock, 40tow, 80tow, 80eco, 120race)
ISSPRO Gauges (pyro, boost, tranny)
AFE 4" Exhaust
Oilguard Bypass Filter System
Magnefine Inline Transmission Filter
Line-X Sprayed-in Bed Liner
DIY Tymar Style Intake
DMcMillan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2006, 09:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

I notice some bypass kits tap into the stock oil filter mount, Amsoil does not. Is there any benefit of one to the other?
2003 F250 Crew 4x4 SRW 3.73, 4" turbo back exhaust with Magaflow 6" tip, DP-Tune 80hp economy, ATS housing, Turbo Master WG controller, turbo timer, 203* stat, homemade Tymar, ZOODAD mod, ITPdiesel overboost regulator, FTVB and Oilguard Bypass.
weantright is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2006, 11:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have the amsoil bypass and it does attach at the filter block. The only thing that I dislike about the amsoil unit is the fact that you have to use their by-pass filter. Locally the filters are $34.00 plus tax. I would look for one where I could use a donaldson or hasting filter to reduce cost.
4765453 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2006, 09:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

I am using Gulf Coast Filter set up listed below.

First sample came back from the lab like new. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif[/img]

If you are gonna drive it forever, might as well add something to help.
2002 F-350 Lariat, 7.3 PSD/CC/SRW/LB, , BTS Tranny (BEST MOD EVER!), 6.0 Cooler, Van Turbo, Autometer Lunar Pyro/boost/tranny, AFE Stage II, 4" MBRP Turbo back, Gulf Coast Oil Filter Bypass O-1, Cale's 6 program fun twisty knob, Air Dog, Tank Harpooned, AIH Delete, Blue IH CPS, Biltsteins, 3" body lift, 285/75/16 Michelin M/S, Mag Hytec dif cover + Mobile One 75-140w Synth Fluid, 203 thermostat, billet T-stat housing, coolant filter (Dieselsite), Changed from Rotella to Delo (lab results to follow soon), High Pressure Crossover (HPX) flexible line, Alpine, JL Audio, and crazy amounts of Dynomat Xtreme, surgical style tubing in door gaskets, Rhinoliner, just getting started 190k miles....

In GOD we trust...everyone else, VERIFY!
Likethemtrucks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.