The Diesel Stop banner

Put tubing in door seals, now supercab is quite!!!

41K views 78 replies 38 participants last post by  adgillis 
#1 ·
I read about this in the Excursion section. All I can say is it is a great fix for the supercab doors.

I got 1/4" o.d. tubing from Home Depot, bought the whole box for around $14.00. 6 20' rolls. I put it in all of the seals on all 4 doors and I no longer have noisy supercab doors. All is quite. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif

Installation is not to bad, a spray bottle with soapy water, spray it in the drain holes all around the seals, and spray the tubing as you install it in the seal. The tubing hangs up every once in a while, but a little patience and some back and forth action and it will go. I really could not believe the difference it made in the door related noise, both wind and rattle.

On the back doors, the tubing will fit in the weep holes, no need to cut a hole in the seal.

If this fix holds up in the long run, it should be written up, or put in Larry's secrets. I'm very happy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Take care,

Dave

See less See more
#2 ·
Grinder, what was the tubing made of? I may go to HD today to pick up a "box". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

#3 ·
My door seals looks to be one full pc with the break at the bottom right where both doors close. Are there weep holes at the top or bottom (I would think bottom but who knows)? What type of tubing/ hose did you use?

#4 ·
You can read all about it here. It has been well covered in this post. Quite Door

#6 ·
Been doing this for a while with older cars. I personally prefer foam backer rod (used when caulking to keep the caulk the proper thickness, also available at home centers), and talcum powder.

Vinyl tubing will take a set after a period of time. The foam backer rod seems to retain it's compressability longer.

Cheers,

Tom

#7 ·
TBlough, The backer rod sounds interesting. I may try that on some other cars. I'm really happy with the results. But like you said, I wonder how long the tubing will hold up. Not that it would be a problem to redo the work. Well worth the effort.

My mom's Excursion is next.

Take care,

Dave

#8 ·
Looks cool to me. I am new to this site and it seems that I have to post a reply before I can save thread to favorites. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

#9 ·
I like this mod - looks like a pretty neat trick, and cheap too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I guess this would make the doors <font color="blue"> QUITE </font> <font color="red"> QUIET </font> . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

#10 ·
Just got done doing this mod to my truck. It makes a diffence i n the way the doors move when your driving(alot less noise) but with my exhasut and BB turbo(whisle) I dont get the full effect of the quitness it brings, though it is more quite. Worth doing,and with a stock exhaust u wll notice it more. I went to Home depot,bought 3/8" clear tubing, 2 rolls of 20', 2.99$ each, it didnt take 20'per side. Lubed the seals with WD-40 and took about 20mins per side. FINISHED.LOL

#11 ·
Even though I do not have any great exhaust mod's (yet), I really think the point of this thread is that the WIND noise goes away. I LIKE turbo whine (I sold the first 99's and miss it in my 2002). I LIKE a little exhaust noise. I HATE HATE HATE windnoise. Seems like every truck I have ever had. . . '78 2wd F100 302, '89 2wd 150 302, '90 2wd 250 460, '97 4wd 250 460, and '02 4wd PSD. . .(Family is in the Ford business, and I am devout.). . . has had a wind noise to a loose molding, to who the hell knows where the noise is coming from. Cant wait to head to Lowes for the tubing and WD-40 myself. Although the post about the foam has me wondering.

#12 ·
It is a pain in the butt to get the tubing in place. I did one door and it was so hard to close that I took it out immediately.

#13 ·
Any problems with door operation?

I bought 3 rolls of 3/8 O.D. at Home Depot today. I was tempted to get the next size smaller...5/16? I think.

Did a test fit with about a foot of tubing. Goes in fairly easy but does look like it is a tad too big. Will find out in the morning, LOL.

#14 ·
Has anyone thought about what this tubing is going to be like in the winter (very stiff)? I am liking the idea of the foam more and more after thinking about the winter months (not that it get's that cold here in South Texas).

#15 ·
Well, I tried the 5/16" last night and it was too much for my Excursion. I can't even close the door, it will only latch on the first catch.

But, I'm relunctant to try the 1/4" cause it's so small and doesn't really cause the door seal to fill out any. I think it might help fill in some gaps, but can't see it doing too much.

Now, this was only on my drivers door. I'm going to try a couple others and see how it compares.

#16 ·
The doors shut great on my truck, I took it on a ride on some really rough roads, it was qiute as a SOB, this works very well on my truck. Shutting the door is normal but with a nice soild thump (benz like.lol). 3/8s fit perfect for me, I lube the hose and the weather stripping and it went right in. There was tubing from factory in mine at the top of the door jam and bottom already, so i ran mine to those.

#17 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I tried the 5/16" last night and it was too much for my Excursion. I can't even close the door, it will only latch on the first catch.

But, I'm relunctant to try the 1/4" cause it's so small and doesn't really cause the door seal to fill out any. I think it might help fill in some gaps, but can't see it doing too much.

Now, this was only on my drivers door. I'm going to try a couple others and see how it compares.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried 3/8" at first and it was WAAAY too much for the X. I bumped down to 1/4" and it works quite well! I just lubed it with some penetrating fluid in the weep holes and it slides right in! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

#18 ·
I did the 3/8" tubing but I used silicon tubing. It is more expensive but also more forgiving in the right way.

Mine worked great.

Dave

#19 ·
Ok, where did you get the silicone tubing???? I was thinking about the silicone tubing instead of the vinyl tubing. The reason I was not to keen on the vinyl tubing is that I spent 14 years in the window tinting business and would buy 100 foot rolls of 5/16 ID vinyl tubing for my water bottles. The older it got the stiffer it got. When it got cold in the winter it was almost rigid stiff. The silicone tubing wont do that in my experience. I would use the silicone tubing but not the vinyl tubing.

FOMOGO

#20 ·
I would like to know where you got the silicone tubing as well. That was my exact concern about the vinyl tubing, it gets brittle and more stiff over time and in the winter will be almost like rigid wall pipe.

#21 ·
The silicone stuff is kinda high priced. I didn't spend a lot of time searching but this place had about the best price/selection in my limited search.

#22 ·
[ QUOTE ]
The silicone stuff is kinda high priced. I didn't spend a lot of time searching but this place had about the best price/selection in my limited search.

[/ QUOTE ]

That isn't where I got it but that is about what I paid. I think it cost me about $45.00 with shipping to my door for 50'. That did my front doors, but not my rears. I was also a little disapointed that the were connectors in the roll joining pieces together. These connectors are hard plastic and not conducive to my intended usage. Hence, I had to use the tubing from either end and ensure that the connector wasn't a factor.

Not as cheap, but it seems that anything done for the long run on these trucks never is.

Dave

#23 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Just got done doing this mod to my truck. It makes a diffence i n the way the doors move when your driving(alot less noise) but with my exhasut and BB turbo(whisle) I dont get the full effect of the quitness it brings, though it is more quite. Worth doing,and with a stock exhaust u wll notice it more. I went to Home depot,bought 3/8" clear tubing, 2 rolls of 20', 2.99$ each, it didnt take 20'per side. Lubed the seals with WD-40 and took about 20mins per side. FINISHED.LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

What joediesel sez.

Just did this upgrade today. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Never thought my 2K was noisey but there sure is a dif in the road noise now. MUCH Quiet(er).

Went with the 3/8 tubeing from HD,15 bucks OTD for 2 20ft rolls.

I used a fishtape. Found a 10" piece of silicone tubeing in each piece, where Ford knew it would'nt seal, pulled those out thru the closest weep hole. Slathered some Dawn dish-soap on a wet sponge, pulled a 20ft length thru the sponge, hooked it to the tape, pulled it thru the stripping, re-installed. Done Deal.

Whole thing took about an hour (or so). Would have been less with a helper.

JOE

#24 ·
[ QUOTE ]
I did the 3/8" tubing but I used silicon tubing. It is more expensive but also more forgiving in the right way.

Mine worked great.

[/ QUOTE ]

So lemme get this nailed down....your 03 is now much quieter? Doors close with a satisfying German thunk? Not that I want a German car...nope...not what they used to be. But some things're good....

#25 ·
I am afraid that the clear tubing is going to disappoint all of you in the cold weather. I just know from my use of it for years as a water hose it gets stiffer with age and lower temps. So it may seal good in the hot weather but I think you will find it wont seal as well in the cold. I don't know for sure so we will have to wait and see. Like they say, time will tell...

FOMOGO

#26 ·
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Mine worked great.

[/ QUOTE ]

So lemme get this nailed down....your 03 is now much quieter? Doors close with a satisfying German thunk? Not that I want a German car...nope...not what they used to be. But some things're good....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes... Wind noise wise AND the doors don't rattle anymore going down my dirt road and over potholes.

Yes... To the point where if you don't close it like you mean it, it won't completely latch. I'm not saying SLAMMING, I'm saying "meaning for it to close and latch" not just mambsy-pambsy letting it close.

Way mo' betta

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.