Put tubing in door seals, now supercab is quite!!! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-2007 Super Duty. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are not engine-specific.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2005, 04:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Put tubing in door seals, now supercab is quite!!!

I read about this in the Excursion section. All I can say is it is a great fix for the supercab doors.

I got 1/4" o.d. tubing from Home Depot, bought the whole box for around $14.00. 6 20' rolls. I put it in all of the seals on all 4 doors and I no longer have noisy supercab doors. All is quite. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]

Installation is not to bad, a spray bottle with soapy water, spray it in the drain holes all around the seals, and spray the tubing as you install it in the seal. The tubing hangs up every once in a while, but a little patience and some back and forth action and it will go. I really could not believe the difference it made in the door related noise, both wind and rattle.

On the back doors, the tubing will fit in the weep holes, no need to cut a hole in the seal.

If this fix holds up in the long run, it should be written up, or put in Larry's secrets. I'm very happy. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Take care,

Dave

Never argue with stupid people. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2005, 04:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Re: Put tubing in door seals, now supercab is quite!!!

Grinder, what was the tubing made of? I may go to HD today to pick up a "box". [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
'01 PSD 7.3L Excursion Limited EBM1, MPT81s, ORU dual shock hoops, King piggybacks all around, Magnaflow T304 system w/5" tip, FTVB w/50/50 mix regular Mercon/Mobil 1 in trans, Mobil 1 PS flush, Tri-pillar loaded w/Di PriCols (EGT,trans, boost), TS 4 pos. switch chip, ConFerr Rack, Cobra CB, TT/sig mirror conversion, 170 hi-amp alt, Hi Lift equipped, UltraDuty rearend cover w/Mobil 1 syn. w/OE friction modifier, Hutch/ITP intank mod, 2 Micron Dahl PrePump, FPR Jack shim mod@ 70psi, 203 deg T-stat & billet housing, Hawk pads, Centric rotors, Valvoline synthetic brake fluid 105.5k so far...
Recent mod: Dieselsite Coolant filter 4/21/05 @ 1100 @72 degs. F ambient temp ;P
Vindicator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2005, 05:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

My door seals looks to be one full pc with the break at the bottom right where both doors close. Are there weep holes at the top or bottom (I would think bottom but who knows)? What type of tubing/ hose did you use?

Truck Pic's
QtrHorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2005, 05:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)

You can read all about it here. It has been well covered in this post. Quite Door
2" Leveling Kit, 37x13x18 Xterrains, 18"x9" Rockstars, 3.5" Hangers, Ladder Bars, Front/Rear Bumper Replacement, Bed Liner, Acetoned Badges, LED ID Bar, GOS upgraded headlight harness, Black Headlights/Corners, Smoked Cab Lights, Euro Taillights, 4" Turbo Back w/ 6" Tip, Proguard 7 Intake, Outlook Monitor, South Bend Clutch, Centramatics, SCT by DJ, Train Horn, Air compressor w/ 5 gal. tank, CCV rerouted, Fluidampr, Fuel Crossover, DAHL 100, Banjo Bolts Drilled & Regulator Shimmed, Zoodad, Oil Bypass w/ Billet Filter Caps, Coolant Filter, Accufab Intake Elbow, midwesttrans short throw shifter, LIPD Fuel System, 4.30 gears

404 / 778 on Dunbar's Dyno
hhrecovery is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2005, 09:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks HHrecovery. Been busy.

Take care,

Dave

Never argue with stupid people. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Been doing this for a while with older cars. I personally prefer foam backer rod (used when caulking to keep the caulk the proper thickness, also available at home centers), and talcum powder.

Vinyl tubing will take a set after a period of time. The foam backer rod seems to retain it's compressability longer.

Cheers,

Tom
Old 07-11-2005, 02:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

TBlough, The backer rod sounds interesting. I may try that on some other cars. I'm really happy with the results. But like you said, I wonder how long the tubing will hold up. Not that it would be a problem to redo the work. Well worth the effort.

My mom's Excursion is next.

Take care,

Dave

Old 07-25-2005, 12:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Looks cool to me. I am new to this site and it seems that I have to post a reply before I can save thread to favorites. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
2002 PSD 350 CC 4x4; AIS Intake w/ Fender Sleeve; Walker BTM; ISSPRO Tranny, Boost, Pyro; CCV Mod; Zoodad; Blue CPS(in the glovebox); Powerslot Rotors w/ Hawk Pads; Baldwin Fuel Filter; LineX Bedliner; Southwest Fabricators Rear Bumper; 285 Michelline LTX M/S's; and a cracked windshield.

92 8' Six-Pac Slide in Camper;
94 Charmac 3 Horse Slant Bumper Pull;
25' 1976 Jayco TT;

http://community.webshots.com/user/NVCowboy100
nvcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2005, 09:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)

I like this mod - looks like a pretty neat trick, and cheap too. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I guess this would make the doors <font color="blue"> QUITE </font> <font color="red"> QUIET </font> . [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

<font color="red">Truck Pictures </font>
RgdL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2005, 02:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Just got done doing this mod to my truck. It makes a diffence i n the way the doors move when your driving(alot less noise) but with my exhasut and BB turbo(whisle) I dont get the full effect of the quitness it brings, though it is more quite. Worth doing,and with a stock exhaust u wll notice it more. I went to Home depot,bought 3/8" clear tubing, 2 rolls of 20', 2.99$ each, it didnt take 20'per side. Lubed the seals with WD-40 and took about 20mins per side. FINISHED.LOL
2001 white F250 sc xlt psd," DI regulator kit, DI BIG fuel system, DI Mine-Me injectors, DI ATS BB Turbo, DP Chip,DI Valve Pressure Release,DI-adjustable IDM mod ",Terminator 2 HPOP R-IPR, APR studs, 910 valve springs, BTS Trans&Converter,6.0 Intercooler, AFE Stage 2 with zoodad,Power Elbow, Bully Dog full 4" exhaust with 5" tip,Fluidampr, hx mod,203t-stat, CCV mod, Fumoto Oil Valve,Cool-Max Trans Cooler, Autometer Phantom Gauges,Bilstein shocks, Rancho5406 stablizer, Edge 4" lift kit, Rear RoadMasters active suspension, EGR Slotted & Crossed Drilled Rotors with Carbon/Kelvar brake pads, Welds Cheyenne 8s, Roll & Lock bed cover, Sylvania SilverStar 9007& 9005s, Chrome Billet Grill, 2003 Clear Headlights, APC Clear corners, APC Euro rear lens, APC gas & brake peddles, Acetone Badges, Chrome Door & Tail Gate Handles, Oakley Seat Covers, Viper alarm, Cyclops Fuel Cut-off alarm.

[color:"blue"]MY TRUCK[/color]
joediesle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2005, 11:39 PM   #11 (permalink)

Even though I do not have any great exhaust mod's (yet), I really think the point of this thread is that the WIND noise goes away. I LIKE turbo whine (I sold the first 99's and miss it in my 2002). I LIKE a little exhaust noise. I HATE HATE HATE windnoise. Seems like every truck I have ever had. . . '78 2wd F100 302, '89 2wd 150 302, '90 2wd 250 460, '97 4wd 250 460, and '02 4wd PSD. . .(Family is in the Ford business, and I am devout.). . . has had a wind noise to a loose molding, to who the hell knows where the noise is coming from. Cant wait to head to Lowes for the tubing and WD-40 myself. Although the post about the foam has me wondering.
2002 PSD 350 CC 4x4; AIS Intake w/ Fender Sleeve; Walker BTM; ISSPRO Tranny, Boost, Pyro; CCV Mod; Zoodad; Blue CPS(in the glovebox); Powerslot Rotors w/ Hawk Pads; Baldwin Fuel Filter; LineX Bedliner; Southwest Fabricators Rear Bumper; 285 Michelline LTX M/S's; and a cracked windshield.

92 8' Six-Pac Slide in Camper;
94 Charmac 3 Horse Slant Bumper Pull;
25' 1976 Jayco TT;

http://community.webshots.com/user/NVCowboy100
nvcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2005, 11:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

It is a pain in the butt to get the tubing in place. I did one door and it was so hard to close that I took it out immediately.
DP Tuner(s/40/60/80/100/120)
Ford AIS
Garrett BB Turbo
Banks BHA
FlowPro 4" Exhaust
PSC Cylinder Assist Steering Kit
ITP Gen II Reg Return and AirDog
BTS Tranny
BTS Dual HPOP
Banks 6.0 CAC/pipes
Factory Forged Rods
sdavismd71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2005, 03:07 AM   #13 (permalink)

Any problems with door operation?

I bought 3 rolls of 3/8 O.D. at Home Depot today. I was tempted to get the next size smaller...5/16? I think.

Did a test fit with about a foot of tubing. Goes in fairly easy but does look like it is a tad too big. Will find out in the morning, LOL.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:18 AM   #14 (permalink)

Has anyone thought about what this tubing is going to be like in the winter (very stiff)? I am liking the idea of the foam more and more after thinking about the winter months (not that it get's that cold here in South Texas).

Truck Pic's
QtrHorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2005, 12:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

Well, I tried the 5/16" last night and it was too much for my Excursion. I can't even close the door, it will only latch on the first catch.

But, I'm relunctant to try the 1/4" cause it's so small and doesn't really cause the door seal to fill out any. I think it might help fill in some gaps, but can't see it doing too much.

Now, this was only on my drivers door. I'm going to try a couple others and see how it compares.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.