red head steering gear scam???? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-2007 Super Duty. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are not engine-specific.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
red head steering gear scam????

Just ordered a redhead steering box and when looking back over the internet for their information found two identical websites with totally different phone numbers and email addresses. Now I am worried I may be getting scammed by a false site and wonder which is real (or if both are). I have tried the other number but the answering machine says that all lines are busy to leave a message. Is the number 1-888-741-0159 or 1-800-808-1148. Thanks for your help.
DBO77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2010, 04:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
MPH

I did not have any luck with their web site. I phoned them and got what appeared to be a young man that referred my questions to Harry who is the old guy that actually builds the boxes. They are not a large scale operation so you may have to leave a message with a call back number. I have sent my core back to them and if my credit card gets the $150.00 core credit applied, I can say my experience with them was outstanding.
1999 april build date F-250 S/D, CC, SRW, 4x4 Updated Diablo Predator 60 hp, ZOODAD mod,Magnaflow downpipe & muffler,crankcase bypass with filter system,ART rotors & Performance Friction Pads,Rancho 9000's & stabilizer,Mag-Hytec rear diff cover,Tymar intake,Sonnax Valve & Tri-Springs,Magnafine trans filter,203* T-stat & billett housing,ATS housing,Banks Big Head actuator,boost control valve, Red Head Steering Gear .
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2010, 03:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

red head steering

used them alot when ihad a shop in seattle. very good try calling local number 206-364-3333

hope this helps
JAKKERS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2010, 09:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

sorry for hijacking your thread, i am in need of a new steering box, is this supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread? does it improve driving behavior over stock? are there other boxes to consider? thank you.

edit: what is the price for one of these boxes, just ball park, please.

2002 F350 7.3 cc lb drw, 4wd, 190k, b&w gn hitch, auto, no other mods yet
sold 1996 F250 7.3 CC SB 239k Line-X'ed bed liner, cold air intake

Last edited by bitbreaker; 08-24-2010 at 09:22 PM.
bitbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2010, 10:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Just go to O'Reilly's and buy the Cardone one that is lifetime warranty for $189. I just did one in mine along with new hoses, ps pump and the MOOG swaybar links. Everything cost me $484 OTD.
2003 Eddie Bauer 7.3L Excursion 4x4-Estate Green/Gold, Banks CAI, Pro Comp 4" Lift, Magnaflow Performance 4" with 5" Tip Exhaust, 05 Bumper/Grill, Powerslot Cryo Rotors/Hawk LTS Pads, Edge Evolution CTS, 35x12.5R20 Toyo MT's, 20x10 Fuel Hostage Wheels.
KIMMER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2010, 12:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

Do the steering gear boxes on the 99-03 trucks wear out fairly easy? I have a little more than 160k mi. I bought the truck with about 130k mi, and for all of those miles I have been trying to figure out why I have sooooo much steering wheel play. I have adjusted the box several times, I have done the ball joints, drag links, tie-rods, had a wheel alignment, I am basicly new up to the pitman arm. I know this would obviously mean that the box needs replaced, but my father-in-law says that the box is properly adjusted, and he doesn't think it's at fault, and he doesn't know that I'll ever get rid of the steering play. I don't really agree, but can't really come right out and say it, if ya know what I mean. I really want to give a go at replacing the box, but I've been laid off for 8 mos, and don't have the cash. Does the steering box make logical sense?
Muffler is Gone!
DIY 6637 Air Intake
Hutch and Harpoon mods

1990 VW Jetta 1.6L NA 5sp 224k mi
Beater with a heater commuter car
Slower than hell, but cheap on fuel.
Ky_0686 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2010, 07:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

You can only adjust the steering gear so far. As the gears wear internally, they will wear close to the "straight ahead" position most, while the "full turn" position will not show a lot of wear. If you adjust the gear lash for a worn out, "straight ahead" its likely the gears will bind at full-turn.

Without seeing the truck its difficult to be certain of anything, but the steering gears do wear out, and they cannot be adjusted into infinity.
New truck: 2002 PSD 4x4, CC, XLT, F350 dually. Air bags, 6.0 trans cooler, Fleetrite ELC, ISSPRO guages, DB HT starter (no more), Superchips 1705 tuner, Reese Titan, AIS, IPT pre-pump filter kit, in-tank mods, Redhead steering box.

Old truck: 2000 PSD 4x4, ext cab, XLT, F-350, auto, V-code springs, air bags, coolant filter, 203 thermostat, Fleetrite ELC, DB Alternator, DB high-torque starter, Tru-cool Max-cool trans cooler, B&M trans temp gauge, 47 gallon Titan tank, IPT pre-pump filter kit.
dlblazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.