Running a Power inverter off my truck - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-2007 Super Duty. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are not engine-specific.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 01:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Running a Power inverter off my truck

Im sorry if I didnt post this in the right forum but does anyone know how large an inverter wattage I might be able to run off my 2006 6.0 , Ive lost power at home. Also is there any problem with leaving my truck idling

P.S. is this possible to do this
powerdiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2009, 02:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
My buddy runs a 3k inverter off his truck. It's all hard wired into the batteries. If you don't make a habit of the idling you should be fine. It will tend to clog up the EGR cooler and EGR valve over time.

Some stock stuff, some modded stuff, some deleted stuff.....
HeavyAssault is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2009, 02:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

Would it be advisable to start the truck periodically to charge the batteries some, I hope I wont be without power to long.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you do the high idle mod, you should be all set for idle...
05' F-350 6.0L Diesel Crew Cab Long bed sitting on Brentz Wheels Custom Billet Dually 22's, Kenwood Indash Nav, Sirrrus Sat, HD Radio, Nintendo game Cube, 2 - 7" Tv's in head rests, Dual MTX 10" Subs behind seat, Arp Studs, Innovative Diesel SCT tuned for Snow Performance Stage III Meth kit, Bully Dog 5" turbo back exhaust, AFE Stage II w/ProGuard 7 Cold Air Intake, Remote Start. 03 Turbo, dam the whistle is Insane! @ 38 PSI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2zEFb6bFLc - Video
8000K Bi-Xeon H.I.D Headlights, Recon Big Rig, White lighting tailgate light and 3rd LED Brake lights.
05Duallyon22s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2009, 02:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
How big is the inverter?

Some stock stuff, some modded stuff, some deleted stuff.....
HeavyAssault is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2009, 02:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Im looking online from work now I see them from 3000 watt's on down I need to run a small circulating pump off of my outdoor would boiler for hot water & maybe a few light's. My boiler has a 20 amp circuit from my house to it with an extra outlet at the boiler. Probably no more than 1000 watts max.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Why not just buy a generator? Probably cheaper to begin with, not to mention the cost of running your truck, and the extended abuse/load you will be subjecting it to.

you can find a 1200W generator at Wal-Mart for under $200 Bucks. Probably not the highest quality, but much better than using your truck.

1999 7.3 PSD 2wd SD SB Auto (Sold)
legends13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2009, 03:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
I agree with Legends13, buy a small generator. Save your truck.
Late 99 SD PS CC SB 4x4 Lariat. 7.3l TS 6xchip Stock-140hp , Banks 6gun, Full Banks Gauges, 4"SS turbo back exhaust, UMP Intake w/ Donaldson Filter, Auburn posi F&R 3.73, ATS Trans W/ 5Star converter and CoPilot, 18k trans cooler, Dynatrac FreeSpin front hub kit, ITP oil X over, ITP boost regulator, Aero Fuel Tanks Replacement 55 Gallon tank, New timing cover,oil pan,oil cooler, water pump,turbo petastel, reman HPOP, new fuel filter housing, slotted brakes all 4 corners W/ Ceramic pads, Adjustable trac-bar, Front 1.5" level kit only. 226,000 miles 10/1/09 Best mpg 27.3..Norm city 15 mpg hwy 20+

Early 99 CC LB 2WD Manual 6....Stock 228k (11/09) and running strong, only repairs Clutch, water pump, alternator. K&N FIPK since 36k and loving it!

2006 CC LB 4WD Lariat 6.0l 5R110 Stock 178k (12/09) "Dad's" 3 injectors and GP harness(12/09) Dynatrac Ball Joints, New ERG and 2 injectors (6/10)
aekrogh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2009, 09:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

You will want to have the high idle mod done, before wiring up a larger (1500-3000 watt) inverter. The inverter will drain your truck batteries quite easily, fairly quickly, with out it. You need large wire (think heavy battery cable) from the batteries to the inverter, to reduce resistance and heat.

If your pulling 20 amps, plus lighting, look for a minimum of 3000 watt generator. You will probably want to run your refrigerator/freezer as well.

Been there done that many times.

Good luck
Old 11-12-2009, 09:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

For home emergency preparedness a generator would be best. You may decide that you want to go somewhere and you would want to have power at home, too.

Similar if you were out "roughing it". A generator will run all day on a tank of gas. And it is designed for the purpose.

I would use my truck for what it is designed and have a generator for my power needs. Whether for camping, emergency preparedness, or the job site.

Unless you wanted to run a 100kw generator off your 300+hp engine w/ a PTO.
'03 Excursion, 7.3L, 4X4, Auto tranny of course (they all did), 4" MBRP exhaust, TS performance chip, K&N FIPK w/ an Amsoil EA filter, Hellwig anti-sway bar, drilled/slotted front & rear rotors. Rancho XL shocks, Rancho steering damper, Airlift 5000, S&S Diversified headlight mod. This baby surprises a lot of, so called, performance cars.
'04 F 350, extended cab, 6.0L, FX4, manual tranny, 4" MBRP exhaust, Bully Dog Triple Dog downloader w/ Outlook monitor (Very disappointed in the Bully Dog), 2m-70cm Yaesu ft-8500, S&S Diversified headlight mod.

'96 Mustang Cobra convertible, B&M short throw shifter, Koni adjustable shocks, viper chip, drilled/slotted rotors front and rear, rear sequential turn signals.

'11 Harley-Davidson Road King Classic 103 ci PowerPak w/ anti lock brakes & Smart Security system. It even has cruise control!!! Candy Dark Root Beer over Candy Light Root Beer
Matt0987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2009, 10:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

Unless you want to buy a FICM (which would be a lot more than a generator) then I wouldn't.
2001 F-350 Lariat 4x4 Crew *4" BDS suspension lift w/315-75's * Ford AIS * MKO 5" exhaust * All 4 corners cleared * Front Reese Receiver * Draw Tite Fold Over Gooseneck * Reese 15K Sliding 5er * Gauges Whited Out * IC Foil Delete * Dieselsite Coolant Filter kit * DiPricol Optix White Faced Turbo,Pyro,Trans Gauges w/Dash Mount Pod * DP Tuner F5 60T 80E 120R 140X * John Wood Valve Body * ITP SS X-Over Line * ITP Boost Annihilator * 6.0 Trans Cooler * TCI Truck Master Triple Disc Billet Converter (-200 RPM) * Reviva Transmission * ESOF Converted to Manual Warn Hubs * 203' Thermostat * Turbomaster Wastegate Actuator * Gutted EBPV * Centramatics * Walbro GLS392 * Ford AICM * ITP Pre-pump * One Very Understanding Wife*

I AM AN AMERICAN, SO I DRIVE AMERICAN.
fxdwgi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2009, 11:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

I saw one time on spike tv the show trucks. They hooked up a generator off the belt system but can't rem who made it???
Old 11-13-2009, 09:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

Real Power

You need to have the trans option with PTO prep.

Take Care
Old 11-14-2009, 08:43 AM   #14 (permalink)

the PTO Gen would be a really good option for me. How would I know if I have the PTO on my tranny or not...just look under the truck for a pto like on a tractor, or is it hidden behind a coverplate???
Egr delete, bullet proof oil cooler, arp studs, upgraded standpipes. Basically everything that can be done except the tranny
hooknline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2009, 03:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

As I inderstand, the PTO option on the 5R110W is rare unless you ordered it, and the conversion if you dont have it is costly to the point of a new trans, (case, gears, shaft, etc)

Looks like a nifty gadget if you have the money and the need.

Take Care
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.