The Diesel Stop banner

Stereo Enhancements!!! Fun

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Phil G. 
#1 · (Edited)
I've got a 1999 Extended cab Super Duty. I am running MB Quart 6.5''s in all 4 doors. They sound gr8 and I've used them for years. I blew my two front tweeters and it's time for another set. They are running on a couple of Alpine amps and an Alpine hu. I have a JL audio 12'' sub and a Kicker 2400 amp in the back.

I am wondering if there are some other speakers I can install that will handle more power and sound as good as my current MB Quart setup? Also, if I can get a different size door speaker other than the 6.5" rounds, I wouldn't be apposed to that.

Thanks

#4 ·
What is your opinion of Bose Infiniti?

What is the best speaker for clarity? I don't want loud...I want distinction.

Thanks

#6 ·
Ouch.

What is your second favorite :lol:

#7 ·
I find Infinities way to bright...harsh sounding. Bose has a great marketing machine but the product...not there IMO on most of their products.

Everybody is going to give you a different answer because sound is such a personal preference, there is no right or wrong answer other than el cheopo stuff like OEM or Pyle for example, most will agree where it ranks. The best way to buy speakers is to listen to them but that's hard to do that now with so much stuff being ordered online.

IMO, if you like natural or "neutral" sound, one the best reasonable priced speakers are Alpines, especially the Type "R" series. Also if you want to split hairs, round speakers reproduce sound more accurately than ovals. That's why I have always opted for 6.5" with adapter plates for the front doors. If you haven't seen how they install in these trucks, I posted a pic in my work log below.

BTW, BART is right, Morels are pretty damn good!

#8 ·
Phil,

You have my complete respect for that custom build. All of your work is quite exceptional and no detail missed.

I would like to copy what you did with your doors for the sound-proofing. That seems like it would focus the speakers' soundwaves into your cab.

I am not looking for "loud" because I actually like to hear my engine while I drive so my goal is high fidelity at lower decibals.

Hats off to your skills!

#9 ·
Thank you ArcticDriver. One thing: if you insulate the interior of the doors and run the sound deadening to the bottom, make sure not to block water drainage out the bottom. Also if you decide to go with component speakers, run two sets of wires to your doors so you can mount the x-overs inside the cab, the doors do nasty things to them....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.