Super Quiet Cab - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-2007 Super Duty. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are not engine-specific.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 10:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Super Quiet Cab

What are all the tricks to quiet the cab down to whisper quiet? Had my share of loud diesels and now days all I want to here is a little turbo whistle now and then.

So, planning on either pulling up the stock carpet and replacing, or if I can't find a perfect fitting stock carpet I'll stick with what I got, pull it and lay down sound deadener. Outside of the cab floor, and doors where else can I apply sound deadener to quiet the cab down significantly?

Would it make sense to do the cab head liner? How can I significantly quiet sound down from the firewall? Would adding Rhino Liner to the cab floor underneath the truck add any sound deadening qualities?

Suggestions on the best sound deadening material out there?

P.S> truck has stock exhaust on it now, plan to add 4" soon. Whats the QUIETEST 4" exhaust available out there w/o a crappy high restriction muffler. (want muffler, just not a performance robbing one)
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2010, 01:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No secret to it.

You have to remove the seats and carpet and cover the floor, wall to wall and firewall to the back of the cab, with expensive sound deadener, such as Dynamat. Then cover the inside of the doors. Then cover the firewall. I don't think covering under the headliner will do much good, but it will help some. Cover the back wall of the cab from floor to the bottom of the backlight, being sure to not block the big air vent in the back of the cab. After everything is covered floor to windows, then reinstall the carpet and seats.

Not cheap. Plan on several hundred bucks for the mats, plus at least one long day for the install. Most suppliers hav custom-fitted pieces for inside the doors. When you get done you'll know one reason why a luxury car costs more than an economy car.

There is more than one brand of sound deadener mat available, but here is the best known:
The Official Dynamat Website

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.