swap dually pickup bed for alum flat bed - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-2007 Super Duty. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are not engine-specific.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2008, 07:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
swap dually pickup bed for alum flat bed

As the title states. I am considering swapping my dually pick up bed for a aluminum flat bed. Mine is a 2000 F350 and his is a 2000 F550. Will this swap work? what all will need to be done? I know on the old body style the cab and chassis frames were narrower and a pickup bed had to have the bed mounting holes drilled on a narrower pattern. any help would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2008, 08:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
You already know half of it. The rails on the 550 are wider, but they are also flat. Your 350 has the narrower rails, and they are NOT flat. So to mount the flat bed on your truck, you will need to offset the mounting surfaces to match. The biggest issue will be dealing with the rails being different widths. Depending on how the bed was made, will make it easy, or hard.

Mounting yoru bed, on his truck will be harder. The flat rails on his truck means the varying heights of mounting rails will have to be changed. Again, the mounting bolt locations will also have to be redrilled.

The biggest difference, is going to be in the length of the framerails. My bet is that the rails on his 550 are longer, which means they are going to stick out past the end of your bed. Easy for you to work around, a lot harder for him. There are a few people on here that have done it. Hopefully they will chime in.

I'm curious, do the support rails on the flat bed run front to back or side to side?

DP-Tuner 80T, 160cc single shots, GTP38R turbo, Ceramic coated IH up-pipes, coolant filter, 6637, DIY exhaust brake, openair CCV, propane, SBC DD all ceramic clutch, ISSPRO EV boost/pyro/HPOP pres./rear end temp, 4" lift, traction bars, 255/70R22.5 tires, York air compressor, 16 flashy lights, 12 strobes, 12 switches on console, 9 switches on the dash, 7 two-way radios, 5 air horns, laptop, siren, 105 gal. in-bed fuel tank, Kennesaw Mountain front bumper

'86 H-D Sportster - 16" apes, custom paint, custom pipes to fishtails, single fire ignition, leather saddle bags on custom brackets, bagger fender, solo seat, home made luggage rack, all LED rear lights

'66 Bronco "Big Little Monster"
BTBBT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2008, 09:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
Putting a pickup bed on a chassis cab truck is a major project. It's been done, and often, but the pros charge about $5,000 to do the deed.

Putting the flatbed from a chassis cab onto a pickup is also a major PITA. It requires lots of fabrication of connecting parts.

You'd be better off to look for a flatbed that's designed to be installed on your truck. The flatbed/platform body builders make those for pickups, and they are different than the ones they make for chassis cabs. Maybe do the trade with your current contact, then trade the resulting flatbed to your local truck body outfit for a different flatbed that's designed to be installed on a pickup. Look in the yellow pages under "truck bodies".

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.

Last edited by SmokeyWren; 03-05-2008 at 09:38 PM.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.