The Diesel Stop banner

Those with an DR edge 6" or 8" lift - who also tow or carry heavy

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  DecreasingDave 
#1 ·
I am looking at the 6" or 8" Edge lift for my new truck but I'am worried about towing and hauling heavy loads.

Those of you with either of those lifts, can you tell me how they are when you hook a load up to the hitch or place a lot of weight in the bed? I carry heavy loads and tow heavy trailers for our race team and I don't want to have a truck that squats like a half ton because I have something hooked up tp it... I also don't want to have to supplement with air bags to handle the load...

Those of you with real world experience please comment on whether the Edge is up to the job. I would rather have a truck that can handle the load than have one that rides like a car.

#3 ·
I tow a 22ft VIP boat, and a 5000lb jeep on an 18ft car hauler with just a 6" DR block in the rear and it does fine. Im on 35"s but will have 37"s soon.

Another option is to go with smaller blocks like say the DR 4" or 5" blocks and do a long add-a-leaf into your stock pack. You usually get 1.5-2" from the long add-a-leaf and it stiffens up your stock pack a little so you dont squat when you pull a heavy load and actually still rides good.

#4 ·
[ QUOTE ]
For your use I would go with the 6" block kit, it will retain your rear springs. The all spring kits will require the air bags if ya haul heavy.

Cary

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that.

#5 ·
I have the 5" plush ride spring pack and a 1" block in the rear of mine. It is NOT up for the heavy loads! I use mine regularly for towing and hauling and will be putting a set of air bags on as soon as the new controller is released. As for any towing problems...none except for the loss of grunt due to the tires and not changing the gears yet. I pull a 10k FEL and other toys and it does fine. If you don't want to bag it, you will need to do the block. Might want to look into a set of traction bars to help with some of the axle wrap.

#6 ·
My plans are as follows... for my F350 DRW that I tow with regurally:

Front : X Springs (for a plow, stiffness/extra weight and maybe an
inch or so)
DR 4.5 Hanger kit
DR Mini pack, IF I need more height in the front

Rear : Stock springs with possible add a leaf (after I research)
DR 4.5 lift with block 5-6inch
Traction bars to prevent axle wrap

This is what ive come up with after a few months of toying with a few ideas. I wanted a full DR 6inch spring lift but I know its going to compromise towing, the entire reason I need the truck. So I figure the above lift will be strong enough and give me the clearance I need, hell with the minipack/Xsprings I could easily see a comparable 6 inches up front.

I have not lifted the truck so this is all just an option ive come up with after much consideration. Let me know any criticisms you may have of it.

Do they make bag kits for a 6inch lift, all I found was that for a 4inch. Any input on the rear leaf idea?

Thanks

#7 ·
I have the 6" DR and use the rear block with stock springs. This set-up would be better for holding weight than the rear spring option I think. The Dr rear springs ride better for a reason (They are softer). JMHO

#8 ·
you can see in my sig that i am running the 6" DR kit with the leaf springs. reason i went with the springs is that i do not tow all the time, and wanted the best ride for the "other" 90% of the time when i use my truck.

with the bags, the truck sits perfectly level, and rides like a dream. now, when it's unloaded, that's a different story... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif

#9 ·
I have the 10.5 inch kit and tow heavy all the time with no problem just use a load range E tire and pump up the air a little

#10 ·
How heavy do you tow? And is it in the bed or hitch? I know with my 8" and 4 yards of gravel my truck sags like an old hooptie trying to catch some air. Nothing air bags couldn't fix I'm sure. As for towing with the hitch...as long as my weight is evenly distributed on the trailer I have no problems sagging.

#11 ·
[ QUOTE ]
How heavy do you tow? And is it in the bed or hitch? I know with my 8" and 4 yards of gravel my truck sags like an old hooptie trying to catch some air. Nothing air bags couldn't fix I'm sure. As for towing with the hitch...as long as my weight is evenly distributed on the trailer I have no problems sagging.

[/ QUOTE ]

PwrStrokinDually,

Coming from a landscaper (me) stone weighs a lot... From what ive seen and been told by the local supplier 3/4 inch stone weighs about 1-1.3 tons per yard. The smaller the peices of stone the more compact, thus even more weight.

Lets call it 1 ton per yard x 4 yards... thats around 6,000-8,000 lbs in your bed alone. Id be suprised if it did not sag down a good bit.

Was this 4 front end loader dumps @ 1 yard each?

For my needs I pull behind with a trailer so I just need to make sure the weight is distributed over the trailer well and that I have a good drop hitch. I think I found a few that are rated 12-14K which would be good and add a bit of safety margin.

#12 ·
No, this was a 5 yard front loader that was almost completely full. Just stopped shy because my fenders were rubbing against my tires after we noticed we dumped too much. My tires never rubbed. But it did ride softer than a cadillac. I just felt like a wanne be gangsta with his chair leaned all the way back peeking over the hood. But because of all the weight in the bed of my truck and my truck sagging so bad it touched the fenders...I did wear the inside liner and crack the fenders from too much weight. So sagging down a good bit is an understatement. Until I decide to do air bags I will from now on borrow a dump trailer to haul my gravel. I wish I had pictures now...the entire bed was loaded with gravel to the rails and the peak of the mountain in the middle was almost as tall as the cab.

#13 ·
I tow a 8k and 12k boats and 26 car hauler with my X 4 yards of gravel is weigh too much weight for a pickup LOL

#14 ·
That poor truck... Im suprised you were just rubbing your tires on your fenders and nothing more severe.

Ok note to self, keep the heavy loads in the trailer not the bed so you dont take your lifted truck and make it a low rider in 30 sec /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

#15 ·
WOW.. 3/4 clean is 2400/yd & for example mod is 2700/yd.. I manage the oil department @ a supply house and you wouldnt beleave what people want to cram in.. Last week we had a guy want to put a pallet of EP Henry in a mini-van. Anyway back to the lifted towing I dont have the DR kit on mine but here is a pick towing my boat. It is a 33 Outlaw that with trailer tips the scales @ 12,200.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2697914690036978989qdwXiZ

#16 ·
Lets just say I wanted to get my money's worth and didn't think about the weight. $40 for a pick-up load full. $170 for 5 yards delivered + .50 a mile after 10 miles. I definitely got my money's worth! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

#17 ·
Slightly off topic... the trucks in the shop getting some warrenty work done before my landscaping season gets going and hectic... I was working on a project around the house and needed crushed gravel. Went out in my 1500 Ram (previous truck the to the DRW) and got a load of 3 yards. They said it was 3k per yard (after I got it loaded up and all), ugh thats around 9k + trailer in my 1500 but just as you said I did not want to make 2 trips. Im not going to do that again ever, I get my truck back tomorrow and any more stone I need is going to be towed with the real truck.

Funny my landscape supplier said to me today, "wheres the real truck" lol

I guess I got accustom to towing with it and all

#18 ·
[ QUOTE ]
My plans are as follows... for my F350 DRW that I tow with regurally:

Front : X Springs (for a plow, stiffness/extra weight and maybe an
inch or so)
DR 4.5 Hanger kit
DR Mini pack, IF I need more height in the front

Rear : Stock springs with possible add a leaf (after I research)
DR 4.5 lift with block 5-6inch
Traction bars to prevent axle wrap

This is what ive come up with after a few months of toying with a few ideas. I wanted a full DR 6inch spring lift but I know its going to compromise towing, the entire reason I need the truck. So I figure the above lift will be strong enough and give me the clearance I need, hell with the minipack/Xsprings I could easily see a comparable 6 inches up front.

I have not lifted the truck so this is all just an option ive come up with after much consideration. Let me know any criticisms you may have of it.

Do they make bag kits for a 6inch lift, all I found was that for a 4inch. Any input on the rear leaf idea?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the same thing I'm working on. However, you forgot one thing.....the Velvet Ride Shackles for the rear. I have some and figure that they will allow a little ride forgiveness on the add-a-leaf rear spring. Also, go with the "long" rear add-a-leaf. It is more forgiving and helps control axle wrap, the short leaf does not.

Good luck,
Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.