08 F250 40/20/40 rear bench with baby car seat - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2008, 12:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
rXr

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
08 F250 40/20/40 rear bench with baby car seat

My wife is telling me the rear seat of my new crew cab truck has the "racheting" seat belts that are needed for car seat installation present on each of the outside positions on the 40/20/40 rear bench, but that the middle position doesn't have a racheting belt. She says the vehicle manual shows the middle is suppose to allow for installation of a baby car seat, though. So, we don't know if the middle belt is suppose to rachet and is defective, or if it is not a racheting belt. I called the local dealership and they're no help. I'll have to drive over there and have them open up a truck on the lot to see what that center belt does. Or, I'm hoping someone here can tell me if they have installed a child car seat in the center slot of a 40/20/40 rear bench.

Here's a link to what we have so far:

http://webpages.charter.net/dungeon/P3182078.JPG

We'd like to move the seat ove to the center, where the console is now folded down.

Last edited by rXr; 03-20-2008 at 12:27 AM.
rXr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2008, 07:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

I don't know, but the center position may use the L.A.T.C.H system instead of the belt. Look for the small hook loops at the base of the seat in the back.
2001 F350,XLT,CC,4x4,PSD,6-SPD,SRW,156"WB,OFF-ROAD,LS,PTTTM,AIC,PRODIGY P3 BRAKE CONTROLLER,BILSTEIN SHOCKS,TOYO OPEN COUNTRY A/T,HAWK ROTORS AND HAWK LTS PADS,PML REAR DIFF COVER,RHINO LINING,GARMIN NUVI 2595LMT,SIRIUS RADIO,TRUE BLUE

2006 F350,XLT,SC,4x4,6.0L,TORQSHIFT,SRW,142"WB,FX4,LS,E SOF,TOW
COMMAND,UPFITTERS,LINE-X,WEATHERTECH MATS,COOPER DISCOVERER AT3,GARMIN NUVI 1350T,DARK GREEN SATIN W/SILVER

HERS
2009 EXPEDITION EL,LIMITED,4WD,WHITE PLATINUM TRI-COAT,BLACK INTERIOR,DVD,MOONROOF,POWER DEPLOYED RUNNING BOARDS,MOONROOF,WEATHERTECH MATS,GARMIN NUVI 265WT
G BURDICK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2008, 09:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
The middle belt in my back seat does not ratchet. If the baby seat manual is not enough help, have you looked for a place around there that has someone certified to install these things? They actually teach classes on this stuff.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

Go to your local fire department. They are trained every year on how to install baby seats in newer vehicles.

Jerrod

TRADED: 2011 Ford F350, SRW, LB, White Platinum Tri-Coat, Lariat Ultimate Package, Black Interior Leather, 20" Wheels, Upfitter Switches, etc........

SOLD: 2008 F250 Black with tan 2 tone, Crew Cab,
6.4L, Not loaded but there are some thing I really just don't need.
Spartan Tuned, 275 V3, S&B CAI

TRADED: 2005 F250 Lariat
Dark Toreador Red with Tan 2 Tone
6.0L, 3.73, FX4, Moon Roof, etc.
surveyor13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2008, 11:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
rXr

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. My wife knows how to install the car seat, we've been running around for close to 2 years with it in a few different vehicles. Currently, it is properly installed on one side of the rear bench in my truck using the racheting belt method. She wants to install it in the middle, and we believe ( based on the vehicle manual ) that the center belt should be ratching and therefore the seat could be installed there using that method. She prefers doing it that way, as opposed to the other. Based on info in this thread, I think it's safe to say the middle does not/is not suppose to be the racheting type. Thanks for the help on this. I'll let her know she'll just have to use the other method. And, I'm glad that the belt is not defective.

And for folks who come across this post in the future, your local fire dept can and will do a great job of installing these if you need help. My wife actually did take the class and fire dept install back 2 years ago to first learn the process. Since then she's been able to swap the seat into various vehicles.
rXr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2008, 09:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Personally, I've never trusted the ratchet for a baby seat. I never could get it tight enough for my liking. I had a 96' that I made my own latch system for.
Patrick

'06 F-350 4X SRW LB Crew Lariat to pull an '04 Malibu VLX and a 10k dump trailer.

Make Welfare as hard to get as a Building Permit....

http://photos.thedieselstop.com/show...hp?photo=32801
Faceplant409 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2008, 09:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
Now, your state may be different, but here I've been told that you can't legally put a child seat in the middle position. I have no idea why, but being from the great state of illinois there is no such thing as a law that makes sense.

The best suggestion has already been presented. That is to go to your local fire department. They have all been taught this stuff. I work a block away from my local FD, I think I will walk down there tomorrow and ask about the middle position stuff.

DP-Tuner 80T, 160cc single shots, GTP38R turbo, Ceramic coated IH up-pipes, coolant filter, 6637, DIY exhaust brake, openair CCV, propane, SBC DD all ceramic clutch, ISSPRO EV boost/pyro/HPOP pres./rear end temp, 4" lift, traction bars, 255/70R22.5 tires, York air compressor, 16 flashy lights, 12 strobes, 12 switches on console, 9 switches on the dash, 7 two-way radios, 5 air horns, laptop, siren, 105 gal. in-bed fuel tank, Kennesaw Mountain front bumper

'86 H-D Sportster - 16" apes, custom paint, custom pipes to fishtails, single fire ignition, leather saddle bags on custom brackets, bagger fender, solo seat, home made luggage rack, all LED rear lights

'66 Bronco "Big Little Monster"
BTBBT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2008, 09:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

I would think the ratcheting system is only used with a shoulder belt. I am 20+ years past using car seats, but I don't think the center rear position has a shoulder belt. Also, aren't the car seats supposed to face the rear of the vehicle to protect from whiplash? Too many rules nowadays.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.