14mm x 1.5 die to chase lug threads with???? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2006, 10:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
14mm x 1.5 die to chase lug threads with????

I boogered up two of my wheel studs and need to chase them with a die..... does anyone know where I can purchase a 14mm x 1.5 die? All the sets I have seen stop at 12mm.
2008, F-250, FX4, Crew Cab, Short Bed, Oxford White w/ Black Interior, Dual Alternators, Sat. Navigation & Radio, Overhead DVD System, ESOF, Solid Rear Window, 3.73 Limited Slip, Upfitter Switches, Tow Command System w/ Power Scope Mirrors, Power Seats, and the Reverse Aid Sensor - Edge Insight Monitor, 2.5" Icon Lift Kit, Icon 2.5" Piggy-Back Shocks, KMC Beadlocks w/ 33" Toyo M/T's, MBRP DPF back exhaust, Recon mirror lights, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Line-X, MotoBar, Gentex Temp/Direction Mirror, Baja Designs 22" Onx Pro Light Bar
RRose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2006, 11:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: 14mm x 1.5 die to chase lug threads with????

Go to the link below and scroll down to metric...

Clicky Me

I have never ordered from them, but they appear to know what they are doing.

Hope this helps.

- C
CamoFlogged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2006, 11:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Might just be cheaper and easier to replace them. Depends on front or rear though. Front, pop off the rotor and they should be easy to get to, smack with a BFH and they come right out, then pull the new ones on with the nut and some washers. Much easier to get a few replacement studs than trying to find a thread chaser. Have you looked for a rethreading bar instead? I have a pair of them that are like a file with 8 different thread types per bar. You line it up with the threads and just file the nicks out with it. See if you can find those, they come in real handy.

Sold due to neglect
U.S.N. Paradise BB91904
'99 F350 CC LWB DRW

Mods, SuperHyper Improbability drive stage II.
Hypermax 5" turbo back system, triple pillar guages, Heater core shutoff. AEM Brute Force intake. 3.73 gearing. DP PCM with 80HP Installed!
ACD2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2006, 09:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

I just broke one and no one carries them in Washington state, not even Ford had to order...ever one has the 14 x 2 but no 14 x 1.5 and all there parts books said all years were the 2 and thats why I broke it...yea right [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2006, 03:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

RROSE,

Take your pick:

14mm x 1.5mm Hex Rethreading Die Carbon Steel $10.90
14mm x 1.5mm Hex Rethreading Die High Speed Steel $92.30

14mm x 1.5mm Round Adjustable Die 1.5" O.D. $35.90

ACDII, Your right, A Metric Rethreading Bar (Thread File) may be the best choice.. I can offer one tool that will correct the following metric pitches: 0.75mm, 1.0mm, 1.25mm, 1.50mm, 1.75mm, 2.0mm, 2.5mm, 3.0mm ALL for only $15.50

Delivery on the Dies: 10-14 Days
Delivery on the Thread File: 3-5 Days.

Remember, Hex Rethreading Dies are for just that: Fixing an existing thread.

A Round Adj Die is used for producing a new thread and requires a "Die Stock" to hold it during use.

Thread files only clear or clean out the buggered up portion of thread that lies within the ROOT of the thread.

Send me a P.M. if your interested. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Regards
JR44
2003, F-250, 6.0L PSD, Torqueshift, CrewCab, XLT,FX4,Short Bed, All Black Sport Model, Sunroof, Line-X Bed Liner, AFE Stage1 Pro-Guard 7, DPPI/MBRP T-304 Stainless Turbo-Back Exhaust, complete with CNC machined collar!
Banks Tecni-Cooler, Front,Rear Diff & 5R110 Mag-Hytec Pans, AutoMeter Cobalt Boost,EGT,Trans Gauges on A-Pillar, Bridgestone 285 Revo's, Bilsteins,SSBC V8 BRAKE CALIPERS, POWERSLOT CRYO ROTORS, Lund Smoke Bug Shield and Weathertech's AeroVisors on all windows. 16YR N.R.A. member, 14YR D.U. member, 10YR N.W.T.F. member. 5YR Delta Waterfowl member. www.rntcalls.com
warrenpouyer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2006, 11:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

Make sure you use either a thread file or a chaser die but not a cutting die.

If you cut threads to fix them on a machine made thread you will weaken the stud to the point that it could break even just from torquing the wheel.

I like these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Thread-Restore-File-...1QQcmdZViewItem
Mag-Hytec trans pan, 08 Diff cover.
2" leveling kit. RS9000 Shocks. B&W Turnover Ball/ Companion Hitch. Airlift 5000 airbags.
LineX, 20% tint, Weathertech liners.

2012 Heartland Sundance 3100RB 5th wheel. 36' @ 12k pounds.
468LC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2006, 12:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Make sure you use either a thread file or a chaser die but not a cutting die.

If you cut threads to fix them on a machine made thread you will weaken the stud to the point that it could break even just from torquing the wheel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you ever here this? If the thread was cut to the correct specs on the machine, then the die will not cut any more material then ness. I could understand your reasoning if it was a bad thread or if you goofed the thread real bad. You don't weaken the stud at all. Are you reffering to a formed thread rather then a cut thread? My dad has been a tool and die maker for over 30 years, and has owned a precision maching shop for 15, and I've been around the business a long time myself and never heard anything of the sort. Like to know why you think this could weaken the stud? Def. not trying to knock you.

Dan

2001 7.3 - gone
1995 7.3 - gone
4drdually is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2006, 09:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

A lot of machined threads are rolled in high strength applications.

They are not cut. Cut threads are no where near as strong.

Basically saying what you said above, [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

To the best of my knowledge wheel studs are rolled threads.

If I am wrong on this someone feel free to correct me.

I have done this myself, take a rolled thread bolt and run a die down it. You would be very suprised at how much metal is cut off.

Just my .02 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Mag-Hytec trans pan, 08 Diff cover.
2" leveling kit. RS9000 Shocks. B&W Turnover Ball/ Companion Hitch. Airlift 5000 airbags.
LineX, 20% tint, Weathertech liners.

2012 Heartland Sundance 3100RB 5th wheel. 36' @ 12k pounds.
468LC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.