2000 F-350 7.3L Gem module - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2008, 01:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 F-350 7.3L Gem module

I have a 2000 F-350 crew cab 7.3L with 112,000 miles. About 3 months ago I started having problems with my power locks both key fob and door switch intermittingly locking/unlocking my doors. The same period of time intermittent problems with my drivers power window working slow both up and down. Since March of this year have been thru new calipers both left and right side 2 times with no ABS indicator lights, mechanic states calipers are moving freely. This past Friday after driving 25 miles the drivers side rear wheel was smoking and rim was HOT to the touch with a brake smell, did not feel the brakes hanging up, the vehicle sat all weekend. Heavy rains and severe t'storms hit the area on Sunday. Monday morning got in the truck (keys not in the ignition yet) and the fan (a/c) was blowing cold air, drove the truck about a mile and the overdrive off light was flashing on and off about another mile down the road the speedometer stopped working and then was working intermittly during the 25 mile trip, when reahing the destination all hubs were cool (no brake hangups) and it was pouring rain. The mechanic hooked up a scanner and it said it was the speed control sensor. With all the other problems could it be the GEM module? The windsheild has not been replaced/repaired and no knowledge of any leaks. Thanks in advance. Ed
firefighterEd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2008, 02:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)
Welcome to TheDieselStop.

The GEM doesn't have anything to do with brake problems (you mentioned sticking calipers), except to control the brake failure indicator light. It doesn't even control the speedometer.

The speed sensor sends it's signal to the ABS module, which relays it directly to the speedometer in the cluster, bypassing the GEM.

The window motors, door locks and AC fan are controlled by the GEM however, so THOSE issues may be caused by a GEM that's taking a bath from leaks.

I'm moving your post to General Questions, as its not specific to the engine.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2008, 03:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

So why did I lose my speedometer? I do believe the GEM is the culprit for the other items messing up, there are no leaks in the vehicle. Thanks Ed
Old 07-23-2008, 03:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighterEd View Post
So why did I lose my speedometer?
Sometimes things just break (VSS).

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighterEd View Post
I do believe the GEM is the culprit for the other items messing up, there are no leaks in the vehicle. Thanks Ed
You could be right on that. It wouldn't necessarily take a leak for the GEM to go bad. (see comment above).
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2008, 09:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

If it was the VSS shouldn't there be an ABS code or light? Should the VSS also be changed as well as the GEM? Thanks, Ed
Old 07-24-2008, 12:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to `Jeff` Send a message via Yahoo to `Jeff`
I have a GEM Module that has never taken a bath yet lost the power window / Accessory Delay function last week. Go figure. Trying to find a tech to re-flash it before I spring for a new one.
`Jeff` 99 F250 PSD SC LB 4x4 Auto Lariat (Built 7-98) PMT1 PCM, 4 Pos DP Tuner, Propane, 10K Mod, BTS Transmission & Converter, 4" SS Exhaust Turbo back, Fuel Regulator Shim Kit & Gauge, KCM S.S. HPX, Cold Air PVC/AFEII, Pre-Pump, Tank Mod & Harpooned, CCV Mod, 2005 Headlight Conversion w/HID, 900 watts of Landing Lights, 3" Steel Cowl Hood, 6" Lift, 16 x 10 DC-1 Black w/35" Nitto's, WARN Hubs & Loaded with TOYS! 3/09 - 185,000 - CRACKED PISTON, CRACKED CYLINDER SLEEVE, BROKEN FLEX PLATE... $1045.00 Ford Master Rebuild Kit, $1400 Machine shop invoice for new sleeve, install cam bearings, rebuild heads, about 35 hours of sweat-labor... Having a fresh motor that's quieter than it ever was new.... NOT PRICELESS, $3200! BUT WELL WORTH IT!

AE/FORD ENHANCED - IN THE CHICAGO AREA
`Jeff` is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2008, 03:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

I too have am having issues with my GEM. The door locks randomly work and I recently lost the control of my window switches. I was able to jumper past them to get the windows rolled back up, but there is no power going to the switches. I have read somewhere on the web that there was TSB for these trucks regarding the GEM. I believe it was that they were located in a place that they were more susceptible to water damage from the windshield. I have not been able to verify this. Where is the GEM located??
timberwolf223 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2008, 01:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to `Jeff` Send a message via Yahoo to `Jeff`
The GEM is screwed to the back of the fuse panel under the dash.
It comes out in about 10 min with the right tools. Hardest part is unscrewing the bulkhead connectors from the fuse panel.
`Jeff` 99 F250 PSD SC LB 4x4 Auto Lariat (Built 7-98) PMT1 PCM, 4 Pos DP Tuner, Propane, 10K Mod, BTS Transmission & Converter, 4" SS Exhaust Turbo back, Fuel Regulator Shim Kit & Gauge, KCM S.S. HPX, Cold Air PVC/AFEII, Pre-Pump, Tank Mod & Harpooned, CCV Mod, 2005 Headlight Conversion w/HID, 900 watts of Landing Lights, 3" Steel Cowl Hood, 6" Lift, 16 x 10 DC-1 Black w/35" Nitto's, WARN Hubs & Loaded with TOYS! 3/09 - 185,000 - CRACKED PISTON, CRACKED CYLINDER SLEEVE, BROKEN FLEX PLATE... $1045.00 Ford Master Rebuild Kit, $1400 Machine shop invoice for new sleeve, install cam bearings, rebuild heads, about 35 hours of sweat-labor... Having a fresh motor that's quieter than it ever was new.... NOT PRICELESS, $3200! BUT WELL WORTH IT!

AE/FORD ENHANCED - IN THE CHICAGO AREA
`Jeff` is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2008, 05:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks. I will try to remove it and see if there are any issues with the connectors or such. Has there been any sucess with re-flashing the GEM to get them to come back from the dead?
timberwolf223 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2008, 11:27 AM   #10 (permalink)

Same issues....

It has to be the GEM because I have had the same exact problems with my 2000 F350 4X4 7.3L manual. Heater blower motor on one morning, no speedometer indication, no 4X4, etc.
dvjv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2008, 11:29 AM   #11 (permalink)

My GEM has never had water on it since I have had the truck (4 years) but it continues to do strange things.......
Old 01-01-2009, 10:00 AM   #12 (permalink)

Fixed ESOF 4X4

My four wheel drive system works flawlessly now that I found the lock portion of the shift motor encoder connector broken. The connector had slid back off the encoder approximately 1/8th of an inch. 4X4 would self-test OK on startup but no shifting. Tried to glue connector lock back on but wouldn't hold. Fix was to drill (3/32) throught the lock portion of connector and socket while holding on firm then slide 3/32 cotter pin through.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

i think my gem is draining my batteries...does the truck have to be hooked up to machine or anything after installing new GEM or will it configure itself?

play: :01 audi 225 coupe: heavily modded..
tturbonegro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2009, 09:50 AM   #14 (permalink)

I installed a new GEM in my truck during troubleshooting and everything "seemed" to operate correctly without configuring/machine hookup. I have since removed the new GEM and reinstalled the original because the 4X4 problem was the connector at the transfer case and not the GEM. The other odd problems (heater blower staying on, etc.) have been fixed since disconnecting all connectors to the GEM and reinstalling. In my business that happens alot (disconnect/reconnect, problem goes away).
Old 02-22-2009, 11:37 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

dvjv... I am not sure of what business you are in.... and neither is anyone else.

If disconnecting a connector and then reconnecting it "fixes" a concern, it is time to look closer.

Module communications deal with very low voltages and very low current flows. In the computer world, it doesn't take much of a concern to wreak havoc...

So... what business are you in?

On edit.... replacing a part (in this case the GEM) is going to be hard to call "troubleshooting". We diagnose a concern to avoid replacing parts unneccessarily... Replacing parts uneccessarily to diagnose a problem is hardly progress.

Call me an ass...

Last edited by GrampyJim; 02-22-2009 at 11:43 AM.
GrampyJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.