The Diesel Stop banner

2000 F250 7.3L - Water In Fuel Tank

16K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  Catch-All 
#1 ·
Patient: Ford F-250 7.3L Lariat Crewcab
Diagnosis: water/ condensation in the fuel tank
Treatment: fuel additive - "Diesel Kleen" or something like that - that emulsifies the water so it can be burned off. Supposedly it also de-gels and de-sludges the tank.
Prognosis: still fuxated, need advice.

Twice I've had problems with my truck where I let the tank get down to where the Fuel Low idiot-light came on. Each time, the engine began knocking and running poorly. And each time, I de-watered the Fuel/Water Separator, filled the tank up and the problem went away. The symptom is too much water getting into the Fuel/Water Sep (by the way, the fuel contamination idiot-light doesn't come on). But the cause of the disease is there's got to be too much water at the bottom of the tank for the Diesel-Kleen to be able to absorb and burn off.

I bought one of those El Cheapo siphons from an auto parts store but I can't seem to get the curves and kinks out of the clear plastic tubing. I want to get it pretty much straight so that when I remove the fuel-cap and feed the tube into the tank, I'll be sure it's going to the very bottom of the tank where the water is. Can anyone suggest a better way to de-water my fuel tank without it costing me an arm & a leg?

Thanks,
Mark/ Catch-All

See less See more
#2 ·
Take it out and clean it. it is not to much work and you'll be sure that everything is clean.

what fuel filter do you have in? I would suggest to stick with the OEM one.

#3 ·
Why have you diagnosed it as water in fuel?

When you drain the fuel bowl into a clear glass jar do you see water and diesel?

If there is water in your tank then I think the Power Service 9-1-1 is better at removing water:

https://powerservice.com/wp-content...5056-911-Tech-Bulletin-Update-TB-8000_HR1.pdf

If you decide to drop the tank as mentioned above then it would be worth cleaning the two small filters (attached photo) and inspecting the pick-up "foot". These can crack off.

Attachments

#4 ·
Yan7Gin and Arctic Driver - Thanks for replying!

I'm using the Fram fuel/water filter. And yes, every time I've had the Low Fuel light rough-engine issues, I drained water out of the fuel/water separator filter bowl. I used a turkey baster to get it damn near bone dry and sure enough I could see the water at the bottom of the clear glass I siphoned it into.

Mark/ Catch-All

Reactions: ArcticDriver
#7 ·
In my research, there appears to be a general concensus to avoid FRAM filter products.

You can find RACOR and Motorcraft fuel filters online that are competitive with FRAM pricing.

#5 ·
Maybe its your fuel source?

#6 ·
#8 ·
I would suggest to stick with oem

Reactions: ArcticDriver
#9 ·
still fuxated

Okay, I finally had a chance to buy some of that stiff, opaque plastic tubing to attach to the siphon. The only problem is that when I took off the fuel cap and stuffed the hose in, it would only go about 2 or 3 feet and then stop.
*it felt kinda mushy when it bottomed out and wouldnt go in further
*I didn't hear any hard plastic-to-metal "tink" sounds when I stuffed the hose in
*the end of the hose wasn't wet with diesel fuel despite the tank being 1/2 - 5/8's full

Why can't the hose reach the bottom of the tank? Is there some kind of anti-siphon feature in F-250 fuel tanks to prevent theft? I mean....***, right? :frown2:

As for fuel additives, my local Advance Auto carries both 9-1-1 and Diesel Kleen - I bought a quart of each. I'll alternate additives each time I fill up.

Meanwhile, I bought a new fuel/water sep drain valve from NAPA and installed that. At least now I can drain off the water periodically as it accumulates in the bottom of the filter.

#10 ·
Okay, I finally had a chance to buy some of that stiff, opaque plastic tubing to attach to the siphon. The only problem is that when I took off the fuel cap and stuffed the hose in, it would only go about 2 or 3 feet and then stop.

*it felt kinda mushy when it bottomed out and wouldnt go in further

*I didn't hear any hard plastic-to-metal "tink" sounds when I stuffed the hose in

*the end of the hose wasn't wet with diesel fuel despite the tank being 1/2 - 5/8's full

Why can't the hose reach the bottom of the tank? Is there some kind of anti-siphon feature in F-250 fuel tanks to prevent theft? I mean....***, right? :frown2:

As for fuel additives, my local Advance Auto carries both 9-1-1 and Diesel Kleen - I bought a quart of each. I'll alternate additives each time I fill up.

Meanwhile, I bought a new fuel/water sep drain valve from NAPA and installed that. At least now I can drain off the water periodically as it accumulates in the bottom of the filter.

As i remember its a stait shot to the bottom of the tank...

That what the drain on the fuel bowl is for, drain your fuel/water periodically

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#11 ·
I linked this in Post #6.

The 9-1-1 will remove some water but the Power Service Silver bottle won't handle much water as you describe.

This is the product to buy and I sometimes see it at Wal-Mart:

Attachments

#12 · (Edited)
The second concern is how you are accumulating so much water in your fuel tank.

Does the truck sit for long periods? Are you using farm fuel stored in above ground tanks?

And a third concern is using a Biocide because 9-1-1 and PS Silver jugs are not Biocides.

#13 ·
It doesnt sit long but I drive such short distances that I only have to fuel up twice a month. Not using farm fuel. I buy from name-brand fuel stations.

#14 ·
I droped my tank when I had your issue to make sure I got it all. What part of La are you in? I am by Lake Charles

#15 ·
I'm over here by the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain, in Mandeville. Y'all got some good fishin' over in your ******* of the woods, especially big doormat flounder.

#16 · (Edited)
Yes sir and reds to. I go every time I can. I actually live in vinton La right on the boarder. It is one mile to texas by water and 8 miles by road.

#20 ·
Thanks KLHANSEN. I'll try your advice this weekend when I also remove/replace the left front brake caliper. I also went to Harbor Freight and bought a better siphon than the one I had initially bought at AutoZone. It sucked....er, didn't suck....er, you know what I mean. :laugh2:

#21 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.