The Diesel Stop banner

2001 7.3L Won't Crank, under dash relay clicks

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  ArcticDriver 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I am new to the boards although I have been reading for a while.

I have a 2001 F-250 7.3 193k miles, original owner.

There are a few issues so let me start at the beginning. Last week my key fob/remotes stopped working.
A couple days later I noticed my OD light flashing while I was driving home on a rainy day. The following morning I noticed my driver side floor board was wet along with the connections at fuse panel. The truck would not start and inst cluster and panels were going crazy. Disconnected Batteries and I removed the fuse panel, dried out connectors and replaced.

The crazy clicking and door chime stuff has gone away and everything seems normal until I go to turn the key....faint click from the relay under the dash is all I get....so quick rundown
1: Remotes stop working
2: Fuse Panel wet (Dried and back together)
3: Now won't crank

any help would be appreciated.

Brand new batteries last month
New Alternator
Battery cables seem tight and no corrosion

See less See more
#2 ·
Check on top of your drivers side wheel. The battery cable runs under the air filter, over the wheel well, and into the fire wall. The cable is in two parts and is connected with a bolt type connector under a plastic cover. Look to see if that connection is corroded. It is in a spot that can get wet. If it is you can replace the cable ends, and just use a short bolt to make the connection. Just tape it up real good, or you can go to Ford and buy a new connector. I had the same problem.

#4 ·
Is the rain water leaking into the cab from the front window seal? Is it leaking into the wiring under the dash?

#6 ·
So I pulled the starter today (It was BAD) replaced the starter and same thing...turn key and a single click.

Good news is I was able to jump the solenoid with a screwdriver ( would not work before) and it fired up...ran fine.

So with that in mind...do you think my starter solenoid is bad?

#7 ·
**PROBLEM FIXED**

I just wanted to update you guys. I replaced the starter since it ended up being bad. The problem still existed except I could jump the solenoid. Got a new starter solenoid on the passenger fender well today and now it cranks with the key.

Thank you guys for the help!

#8 ·
Thats great news.

What was the cause of the driver side floor board and the fuse panel being wet ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.