2001 Front Right Shock Lower Bolt Won't Come Loose - Please Help - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2006, 10:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2001 Front Right Shock Lower Bolt Won't Come Loose - Please Help

2001 FORD F350 front right lower shock bolt will not come loose. I have air tools and it has started to round off. What do I do to get it off? It is on there extremely tight.

Can a brake/tire shop do anything to get it loose, or should I take it to the dealership and have them do something?

Also, since the bolt is almost rounded off, can I replace it with any type of bolt that would go through the hole? or should I get a part from the dealership, or would car parts places have it?

I need to take care of it first thing tomorrow morning since we are going on a trip in the afternoon.
shawv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2006, 11:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2001 FRONT RIGHT SHOCK LOWER BOLT WONT COME LOOSE

First question- Have you soaked it in anything? (PBBlaster)

Second, have you tried to apply a little heat to the nut. A propane torch will do wonders for a tight nut.
, Dynomax, Tuff Country leveling kit, (UKN1), Onboard Air!, 29" Hadley Air Horns!
rlarkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2006, 11:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

I put wd-40 on the nut after I realized it was starting to round off, I have a propane torch. The nut has a rubber backing so I would be worried about burning it, but maybe hitting it with a little heat then using the airgun to get it off might work.
shawv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2006, 09:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

If all else fails just cut it off.

cary

We developed the Reverse Shackle SD spring swaps for D60 '85-04 and D60 '05 up axle swap with suspension for the OBS.
We developed the B mod, Bilstein special valving, suspension and handling cures for the Excursions.

We know what it takes to make a OBS or SD ride fantastic!

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Custom kit H2e and H2e modded turbos, Full Force Diesel Injectors! Icon, Pure Performance, Bilstein, RS-SD and 99 up suspension swaps kits for OBS and SD trucks, BTS Trans, Tunes by Tony Wildman , Tymar products, Hella lighting, True Projection Hid's, Isspro guage kits, If I can help you with your truck please PM or Email me.

Cary
email: ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com
Website: http://www.ctperformanceinc.com introduction only, we want personal contact to insure you get what you need.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2006, 11:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

If its already rounded off, well then I agree just to cut it off and get a new bolt/nut from your local dealer or powerstrokeshop.com. It will only get worse next time. Maybe replace both of them why you are at it. You might be able to "true up" the edges with a file, but I don't really like doing this.

Wondering why it rounded off though...you using the correct sized socket?

Anytime I am about to work under my truck, I spray the item with PBBlaster or WD40 and let it sit overnight, then spray it again prior to working on it. Some of these things seem to glue themselves together [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

- C
CamoFlogged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2006, 11:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)

I agree, just cut it off, the damage is already done. For future reference, spray any tough bolts with PB Blaster the night before and the bolts pracitcally fall off.
2001 F-350 XLT, CC, LWB, 4x4, Auto, Off-Road, DP-Tuner (stock-40-80-120), SP Diesel Air Intake, MBRP 4" Exhaust, Banks BHA, TAG, Dieselsite BRV, AIH Mod, 203 Stat, Sonnax/Tri Kit, Tank Mods, Redhead Steering Gear, DB Electric Starter, Di Pricol Gauges in A-Pillar, 3.5" Custom Lift, 315/75/16 BFG ATs, Delta Toolbox
Truck Pics
rdvit94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2006, 07:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Re: 2001 Front Right Shock Lower Bolt Won't Come Loose - Please Help

Are you trying to turn the bolt or the nut. The nut is the better way if you can get to it. Sometimes the bolt seizes in the shock.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Big94Ford

If its the upper its not a bolt its a long shouldered stud. The "rubber backing" should be the shock bushing, which is being replaced so burn away
2002 F-350 SRW 4X4, 3.71s, warn premium manual hubs, 305X70 BFG Mud terrain tires, full pillar gauge pod with autometer sport comp tranny temp, boost and pyro gauges, AFE stage II, Straight piped,TS 50-75-100-125, AIC, Fabtech 3.5 inch leveling kit, Bilisten shocks, Viair onboard air with 2.5 gallon tank, 2003 lighted/heated mirrors, (((XM))) Inno
My Truck Pictures
My Myspace Page
Big94Ford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2006, 12:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

A good trick I was shown on old shock studs was to just put a deep well impact socket on a log extension and snap it off. Don't use a regular socket or you will break the socket at the same time. Lower bolts are another story, break out the torch or cut off tool!

Good Luck!
Autolite ultralite 3 gauge pillar pod
6gunstroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.