6.0 PSD or Not - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2006, 04:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 PSD or Not

Hi Guys

I'm looking for some opinions. I'm considering trading my 03 F150 for a F250. I'm looking at local dealer inventory for one with a 6.0 but am a bit concerned with all the negative comments I've been reading here. Just how risky are these engines?

This would be my first endevour with a diesel and hope to make it as painless as possible. I don't specifically need a diesel and not looking to play out the numbers to make it work. Just worried about these engines.

If I do take the plunge, what sort of things should I be looking for when test driving these trucks? Are there build dates that are better then others or should I just find a truck I like and hope for the best?

Thanks in advance.
Henry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2006, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: 6.0 PSD or Not

You can probably get as many negative responses about the 6.0 as you do positive responses. I traded my '00 F350 CC SRW 4x4 7.3 in this past December for the exact same configuration in a '06 truck except is has the 6.0. Here is my take on the 6.0. From a standing start, it is much quicker than was my 7.3. But, if I am rolling and kick it in the rear...the 6.0 is much more sluggish than was my 7.3. Both were pretty much bone stock. My 6.0 (automatic by the way) barely gets more than 13mpg with my mixed driving (some stop and go but mostly toll road speeds) to and from work. My '06 truck has 3.73 axle. I never even considered the 4.10 for what I use a truck for. I think you have to "like" diesels or you will probably get tired of it quickly. Remember, your oil changes are less frequent but they also cost you $50-$60 or so if you don't do them yourself. Also, it takes time to fill up a diesel because diesel fuel foams. So if you really want it full, there is not just let the pump kick off and hang up the hose. Mine will take 3-4 more gallons, very very slowly, after the pump first kicks off.

I am not sure I answered your questions but overall I am fairly satisfied with my 6.0 in the '06 truck. I assure you, if there had been a 7.3 option, I would have ordered it. And, NO, I would not wait and order or buy a 6.4 next year. Just look at history...the 7.3 can out in 99 and the 99s had all kinds of problems. The 6.0 came out in '03 and the 03s had the most problems. Well, you can bet, the 6.4, if it comes out in '07, they are going to have problems. Never buy it the first year.

FWIW...the reason I buy Superdutys is simply because I like the body style and I think the diesels have held their value fairly well versuses the gassers. Of course, with the price of fuel going up and up...who knows...that may not be the case any more.
2006 350 XLT CC 6.0 SRW FX4 (no-ESOF) Automatic Trans, White over Arizona Beige, Cloth Captains Chairs, 3.73 LS, ABS, Clearance lights, Nasta polished stainless nerf bars, leveling kit, EGR fender flares
RickK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2006, 08:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
should I just find a truck I like and hope for the best?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that to get the most out of one of these beasts you have to put a lot of attention into it. Do look around for one you like. Make sure it runs well. If it's used, try to talk with the past owner about maintence done on it. Do a lot of reading here, it will help you the most when trying to pick out what you want. Oh, my previous truck was an F150 Flairside v8 5sp so I know what it's like to go from gasser to diesel. The first few months, I almost had to put sticky notes on the dash to "remind" me to put diesel in the tank!!!
Tina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2006, 09:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

i was told that a 6.o with a build date of befor 09/03 was an "anchor"[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]
says that after that build date, there was some 40 odd changes made to the 6.o. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]
he also said dont baby it, drive it like you stole it..... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]

i hope i remembered the correct build date.maybe someone with more hands on will speak up..... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
optipop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2006, 12:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Just look at history...the 7.3 can out in 99 and the 99s had all kinds of problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 7.3 powerstroke came out in 94 and 1/2 if i am not mistaken, maybe it was 95. My point is the 7.3 did not have any problems in 99 to my knoledge seeing as my buddy has a early 99 with almost 200K on it and nothing hass ever gone wrong with it. My personal opinion about the 6.0 is you could not give me one. My truck is made to tow 12K and I beat that thing constently when I am towing stuff, a 6.0 on the other hand will blow head gaskets and also warp heads. Another thing is the 6.0 have many many many problems with the injectors the solonoids in them seem to burn out really fast. How many people can say there 6.0 will last 500K like the 7.3 has with little or no problems. If there is one out there I would like to see it.
03 7.3 EXT. cab 4x4 Powered by No Limit Diesel Performance, Trucks By Buck. DIY Tymar, IDMed, 5" Hypermax 3.5"DP, Autometer gauges, DP Tuner 6 pos. stock/40/80/100/140/High Idle, heater plug delete, BTS Valve Body a must for those of you who cant afford a BTS tranny yet, WW, and the Zoodad MOD.
milskired is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2006, 01:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

You are correct on the Direct Injection .It was released 94 1/2 as The new model year was being produced.94 was the Only year the 7.3 IDI came with a Factory Turbo.The 7.3 DI(Powerstroke) Has had its issues But in comparison to the 6.0 they were way less severe.When the splitshot Injectors came out in early 99 with the New Bodystyle(Excluding CA. Trks they had them in Mid 97)They had alot of Injector failures.But they were not Like the 6.0's Injector problems Dumping Fuel in the Oil.Mainly they were just missfiring and Failing also the Infamous Cackle issue I dont want to even get into that.So they have both had thier problems. But The 6.0 Has definately had more in comparison and severity,Granted It has alot of New technology In it,But it should NOT have had ALL the issues going on with it that it did,Which some still exist.It has also Given Ford a Black-eye in The customer satisfaction department.Not that they Fixed all the 7.3 issues perfectly But The 6.0 problems really seemed to overwhelm them to some extent and they lost alot of customers to other brands.FWIW I work on the International version and We dont see half of the problems that the Ford application has.But our Dealership shys away from reccomending it when specing a tk for a customer.They will push for a 466 in the application if possible.Nobody in the service dept likes to see one come into thier bay either.So its not just Ford thats sick of working on them [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2006, 05:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (27)

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Guys

I'm looking for some opinions. I'm considering trading my 03 F150 for a F250. I'm looking at local dealer inventory for one with a 6.0 but am a bit concerned with all the negative comments I've been reading here. Just how risky are these engines?

This would be my first endevour with a diesel and hope to make it as painless as possible. I don't specifically need a diesel and not looking to play out the numbers to make it work. Just worried about these engines.

If I do take the plunge, what sort of things should I be looking for when test driving these trucks? Are there build dates that are better then others or should I just find a truck I like and hope for the best?

Thanks in advance.
Henry

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you drive one and it feels down on power or you just don't get a good feeling about the truck don't buy it. I'm one of those guys that happen to like the 6.0 better than the 7.3. Just like one of the posters said drive the truck like you stole it and it will treat you right.
POWDER COATED CAC TUBES
PROJECT TRUCK 85 F250 4X4 6.9 6.0 IN IRAQ
superf350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2006, 07:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

I personally think the "build date" issue is an urban legend (unless there's documented changes like 99 and 99.5), any engine can have a defective part that will fail prematurely. My 2004 has been flawless for 24,000 miles, and I just ordered an '06. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Someone may chime in about an Oasis report, I believe that lists all warranty and recall information for a truck. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

I stand corrected (somewhat). The 7.3 was not a "brand new" motor in 99. Ford made changes to the 7.3 with the introduction of the new Superduty in 99 and there are lots of documented problems related to that year. International builds the motors but Ford adds their "personality" to it and therein seems to lie many of the early 99 problems. As far as your buddy's being a good 99...great. However, I personally know of 2 in the Houston area that were bought back by Ford due to poor performance and horrible fuel economy that Ford could never fix. Both were replaced with '00s, same year I bought mine, and those were great trucks. I still stand by what I said about not buying the 6.4 when it first comes out. Wait a year and it will probably be a much better motor. Ford seems to have worked out lots of the problems with the 6.0 but again you can go find documented issues with the 6.0 in its first release in '03.
2006 350 XLT CC 6.0 SRW FX4 (no-ESOF) Automatic Trans, White over Arizona Beige, Cloth Captains Chairs, 3.73 LS, ABS, Clearance lights, Nasta polished stainless nerf bars, leveling kit, EGR fender flares
RickK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2006, 10:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

I think the changes your talking about in 99 were, that was the first year for an intercooler, and Ford upped the HP rating.

http://community.webshots.com/user/FineFord
FINE69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2006, 05:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

Also I think the HPOP was different and I know for a fact it early 99s had a smaller turbo on it.
03 7.3 EXT. cab 4x4 Powered by No Limit Diesel Performance, Trucks By Buck. DIY Tymar, IDMed, 5" Hypermax 3.5"DP, Autometer gauges, DP Tuner 6 pos. stock/40/80/100/140/High Idle, heater plug delete, BTS Valve Body a must for those of you who cant afford a BTS tranny yet, WW, and the Zoodad MOD.
milskired is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2006, 07:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

Hi Guys

Thank for the comments.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:37 AM   #13 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Guys

Thanks in advance.
Henry

[/ QUOTE ]henry, do yourself a favor and get the super duty with the v10. cheaper gas, and you won't be a part of all the headaches all of us 6.0 leaking,broke,smokin',stuck,blaa,blaa,blah guys are going through.

jim
jimmyk7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2006, 05:51 AM   #14 (permalink)

[/ QUOTE ]henry, do yourself a favor and get the super duty with the v10. cheaper gas, and you won't be a part of all the headaches all of us 6.0 leaking,broke,smokin',stuck,blaa,blaa,blah guys are going through.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speak for yourself, my 04 has 24000 trouble free miles and I just ordered an 06. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 03-22-2006, 08:27 AM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

Honest to goodness. I know you are asking about the engine itself... not the truck.

I have a May 03 build 6.0. The only problems I have had, have been with the truck, not the engine. And still nothing major. Just a few nickel & dime trim quality issues. I have almost 36,000 miles on the truck.
DIY-Coolant Filter

137,000 as of 1/26/2012

3/19/11, Converted to (red) Delo ELC, new bottle & cap, all temps reading good, orig EGR & OIL coolers, probably thanks to the coolant filter, and previously frequently flushed Motorcrap Gold.

Keep on truckin
andrewbalser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.