6 disk changer fix slots full error - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 03:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6 disk changer fix slots full error

After one of the CD's got stuck in the player I kept getting a slots full error on the changer. I took the thing out of the truck at least 6 times tore it apart, but couldnt find anything noticeable out of place. I searched for fixes on the internet but couldnt get it to work.

Well last night I decided to give it one more whirl. Tore it apart for the 7th time. I took the changer portion out of the radio and took the top off, then plugged the ribbon cable back in along with another jumper cable. Plugged it back in to the truck while letting it rest on the cup holder and turned it on to see if I could find the problem. One of the motors would whirl but nothing would happen.

I took it back out of the truck and took a close look at the changer again. One of the motor shafts was missing a gear! I looked in the radio case and near one of the capacitors was a small white worm gear. I reinstalled the worm gear on the shaft through an opening in the bottom of the case, reassembled and viola the sucker works. I relubed as much as I could with white grease and the thing is working again for a while at least.

Thought I would post this as I couldnt find any information on fixing these things.

Ed
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2009, 03:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (175)
Good info.

You sound like me, except I frequently take stuff apart trying to fix it and either discover it's gone, or I make it total trash in the process.

Thanks for sticking with it and sharing the info.

If that worm gear slid off the shaft, you'll probably eventually find it off again unless you glued it on or something like that.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2009, 08:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm having similar problems with mine except mine says No Cd when I try it.There is 6 cds in it but,I can't get them out.I thought about taking it apart myself but, I wasn't sure there is anything I could do,without wrecking it more.I checked it for codes and found a few.The codes B1342CD,U2003CDDJ,U2008PHONE,U2005RICP came up.
1999.5 F-250, 7.3L powerstroke diesel, extended cab Super Duty,short box, 8'-6" Fisher XTREMEV snowplow,Hypertech power programmer III,Banks Trans Command,Detroit locker in rear end,6 disc cd changer,brush quard,2 1/2" Tuff country leveling kit in front,285/75/16" ,Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar tires on MB wheels,Rancho RS9000X shocks
mnpowerstroke99.5 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Mine had the CD's in it when I first tore it apart. I took the CD's out after I tore it apart, I ruined a couple with some pretty bad scratches. It might be worth a look unless you plan on taking it somewhere to get fixed. I figured I was either going to fix it or leave it broken, not much to lose.

Ed
Old 03-12-2009, 12:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieS View Post
After one of the CD's got stuck in the player I kept getting a slots full error on the changer. I took the thing out of the truck at least 6 times tore it apart, but couldnt find anything noticeable out of place. I searched for fixes on the internet but couldnt get it to work.

Well last night I decided to give it one more whirl. Tore it apart for the 7th time. I took the changer portion out of the radio and took the top off, then plugged the ribbon cable back in along with another jumper cable. Plugged it back in to the truck while letting it rest on the cup holder and turned it on to see if I could find the problem. One of the motors would whirl but nothing would happen.

I took it back out of the truck and took a close look at the changer again. One of the motor shafts was missing a gear! I looked in the radio case and near one of the capacitors was a small white worm gear. I reinstalled the worm gear on the shaft through an opening in the bottom of the case, reassembled and viola the sucker works. I relubed as much as I could with white grease and the thing is working again for a while at least.

Thought I would post this as I couldnt find any information on fixing these things.

Ed
Did the same to mine. I got lucky and figured it out on the first try. I was about to put it back together and heard something rattling around in the radio half. Found the gear then spent 30 minutes tryin to find where it went.
AIS intake.
ISSPRO EV Gauges: Pyro, Boost, Trans temp.
4" MBRP turbo back.
DP Tuner: 1,200HI, 80E, 120R, 80tow, 60tow.
Overboost Annihilator.
ISSPRO Turbo Temp Monitor.
IH Bellowed up-pipes.
BTS 4R100. -10/11/2010
diablo53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2009, 09:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnpowerstroke99.5 View Post
I'm having similar problems with mine except mine says No Cd when I try it.There is 6 cds in it but,I can't get them out.I thought about taking it apart myself but, I wasn't sure there is anything I could do,without wrecking it more.I checked it for codes and found a few.The codes B1342CD,U2003CDDJ,U2008PHONE,U2005RICP came up.
Update:I pulled it out and took off the top cover and looked inside.I couldn't see anything wrong so I moved around some of the cds that were stuck in there and some of the little parts and put it back together.I hooked it up and slid it in a little ways into the dash and hit the eject button and what do you know it popped out a cd so I hit eject again until all 6 were out.Then I hit load and it said cd error.I was happy to have the cds out.The next day I got in and pushed the load button for the heck of it and said select slot so I put a cd in, it loaded and works, go figure.I'm hoping that it was just stuck because the day it quit it was about -15F when I hit the eject button and it made some weird noises and didn't eject the cd.I hope it keeps working.
1999.5 F-250, 7.3L powerstroke diesel, extended cab Super Duty,short box, 8'-6" Fisher XTREMEV snowplow,Hypertech power programmer III,Banks Trans Command,Detroit locker in rear end,6 disc cd changer,brush quard,2 1/2" Tuff country leveling kit in front,285/75/16" ,Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar tires on MB wheels,Rancho RS9000X shocks
mnpowerstroke99.5 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.