The Diesel Stop banner

AC and Heat both blowing warm air -- Neither AC or Heat working properly

875 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Texkenusmc 
#1 ·
Howdy all,

I have a 2003 F250 with a 6.0. This problem started a couple years ago and I just never got around to working on it, but I believe both problems happened at the same time and certainly in the same season so I believe that they are related but I don't know enough about how the system works to fathom how they could be related.

Neither the heat nor the AC work. They both blow warmish air. If it is only slightly hot outside it seems that the AC blows cold and if it is only slightly cold outside then the heat seems to blow hot, but it doesn't seem to want to do anything if the ambient temperature is very far off of room temperature. Is there some thing that mixes outside air with inside air that could be screwed?

• I took the glove box apart and checked the mixer doors. Both of them move when you move their respective switches.
  • The heater core gets quite hot to the touch.
  • The AC compressor kicks on for a second (you can hear and see the wheel spin) then back off when the A/C is on.
  • My Dad put his gages on the thing and it appeared charged, though I don't know much about AC so possibly he wasn't reading it correctly?

I guess the other possibility is that BOTH the heater core is plugged though it seemed hot as hell when I just put my hand on it (ambient temperature about 75 right now) AND the compressor is bad (or charge is low/etc?) and they both just went bad around the same time by coincidence. Is that the most likely?

Thanks

Oliver

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Does the clutch stay in gaged or does it kick on then off. If it kicks off check the gap on the clutch it might need a shim taken out. Last year mine would kick on for a few seconds and then kick out after removing a shim it has work fine. That might be your a/c problem

#4 ·
Well, when I first posted this the compressor was kicking on for a second then shutting down immediately. Since then, I checked a few things and haven't seen the compressor kick back on. What I was seeing is the wheel engage. You could see something move and hear it click. I checked the voltage going to the electromagnet and got 12v, so it's probably not a low charge/sensor failure. The thing is being told to engage but it isn't engaging. So, it seems that is my first problem--replace the clutch. I have not found any instructions anywhere about how to replace the clutch while the compressor is on vehicle with the 6.0. The compressor is buried down on the lower passengers side. Looks like fan has to come off? Anyone know about this?

I am still puzzled about the heat, but it's the wrong season for that and it does appear that I have at least two problems.

I think the mixer door is fine, but I should probably inspect it more carefully. I just noted that it's moving.

Thanks for the help.

#5 ·
I did it last year just take the nut off and it will slide right off just make sure you count youe spacers. I just reused the spacers and placed them right on the new clutch. I t takes live 15 min. Look at you tube and you will see how easy it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.