Adjusting the gear mesh in the steering box - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2006, 04:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Adjusting the gear mesh in the steering box

I have found the steering box and the allen head set on the top of it with the jamb nut. I know just to turn it a 1/4 turn at a time so that I don't over tighten or torque the gears.
A question,

How in the world did you access this area ?

I have been laying under the truck and trying to weasel both the regular wrench and the allen wrench by the fan shroud and up to the top of the steering box to fix this, but can't feasibly get both up there to be productive. I have small hands and still have barely enough room to work. I have a 'dead on center' steering problem and I know the problem is in the steering box...

All I want to do is tighten up the mesh 1/4 turn, does anyone with a 6.0L and specifically a 05-06 have a remedy?
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2006, 05:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Re: Adjusting the gear mesh in the steering box

They make it hard to get to because it's suppose to be adjusted on a BENCH not in the truck.

Wayne B
2000 F-250 XLT PSD 4X4 ESOF Auto, SC, LB, Gauges, Mag-HyTech Trans Pan & Rear End Cover, <font color="red"> (((XM))) Inside</font>, ATV Racks w/ Two Kawasaki Prairie 400 4X4's sitting on them, 25' Rockwood TT. Ashburn, Va. Member # 103 Pictures

www.CarpathiaHost.com
Wayne B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2006, 08:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

I reached mine on a '02 from the top with a couple of long extensions, swivel and socket.
'02 F-350, auto, 4wd, 4:10, CC, DRW, LWB, Lariat, ISSPRO x 5, MBRP 4" SS, AIC, AIS, DTLS, BriteBox, Red-Head steering gear box, coolant bypass, 203 t-stat, 6.0 cooler, 120k... mostly stock but strong, pulls and hauls whatever I ask!!!
Fastcolts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2006, 10:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

I really don't think the swivel, socket, and extension method will work on the 6.0's.

Anyone w/ a 6.0L ever do this ??
Come on I know ya'll are out there...
Old 04-13-2006, 12:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Remove the battery, battery tray, air inlet, air filter, and intercooler line and it becomes easy to access the allen screw/locknut.
December, '02 build F-250 CC 4X4 Lariat 6.0/Torqshift,Toreador Red over Arizona Beige 4X4 FX4 w/ moon roof. Stull grill insert, chromed tow hooks/bed tie downs, painted door handles, King Ranch flares, '08 aluminum differential cover, Inyati bed liner, Edge 3" lift Bonspeed eight spoke wheels w/BFG AT KO 305/65R18s now gone, but greatly missed
Going_Going_Gone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2006, 04:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

On mine, I loosened the serpintine belt, made the adjustment, then put the belt back on. Less than 5 min job. About to try it again before it comes out of the truck and through the dealership window.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

If it makes the paper, I'll post the article. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

~Demon
99.5 Green F-250 7.3 4x4 Supercab SB, Auto trans 3:73, Tinted windows, Soft tonneau
MODS: K&N FIPK,[color:"red"]DP Tuner 80hp Econo PCM w/PMT1[/color], Clear Corner Headlamp. 4" Turbo-back MBRP Exhaust w/muffler delete, 4 Guage A-pillar (Boost, Pyro, Fuel, Trans) REDHEAD Steering gear (well worth it!).
------------------------
FUTURE MODS: 203* Thermostat, Regulated Fuel system, Coolant Filter, HX fuel line, Wicked Wheel, ATS Turbo housing
------------------------
Repairs: Water Pump @69k, Steering Box @ 72k, New Alternator @ 77k Steering Box #2 @ 84k Shocks @ 90k Ball Joints comming soon!
john99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2006, 04:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

I really don't think the serpentine belt will work either because I have a fan shroud in the way.

Removing all the stuff listed (battery, tray, filter, intercooler line) you have got to be kidding me.

Any 6.0L owners out there?
Old 04-13-2006, 07:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

I adjust them by going through the inner fender.
FMT
2000 Excursion Limited 4x4 Dark Satin Green Arizona Beige 7.3 DIT, AXDO, 3.73 LS, DP Tuner F5, TERMINATOR II w R-IPR, Adjustable Boost Regulator, Turbomaster, EBPV Delete, Air Dog, ITP Regulated Fuel Return, Fuel Cooler, Tags 1&2, Harpooned Tank, Magnaflow XL Exhaust w Aeroturbine 4040L, Sonnax/Tricumulator, 8 Autometer Sport Comp 4 Gauge A Pillar 4 Gauge Overhead, Ford APCM, Crimestopper Remote Starter With Remote Fast Idle, Ford AIS w Zoodad, W Code Front Modified B Code Rear springs, Rancho RS9000X, Rancho 5406 Stabilizer, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, BFG Rugged Trail TA, V10 Trans Cooler w Dual Electric Pusher Fans, Coolant Filter, IAH Delete, (((XM))) Line Of Fire Light, Ford Cab Lights, 05 Headlights w GOS Conversion Harness, Jimmi Jammers, 03 Lighted Painted Tow Mirrors w C-BETR, PSD Badges, Pullrite Hitch, Prodigy Brake Controller, Born 01/29/00
fordmastertech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2006, 11:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Just curious, what are you trying to do? If you are trying to "fix" the "there's nothing wrong with it" Ford Super Duty steering, will you please let me know if it works. Man I hate the way my 2005 wanders all over the road. I can't believe I payed that much for a truck, and it feels like the tie rods are already shot with only 13000 miles!
JakeDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2006, 07:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

When the truck is parked and engine off (no power steering pressure) I can wiggle my steering wheel (about an inch or two to each side), see the steering shaft move and watch the pitman arm not move at all. This indicates to me there is a little slack where the two gears meet at the steering box. I can also hear the two gears clanging at the end of the wiggle.

When going down the road I can shimmy the wheel from one side to the other without making the truck turn, the steering is simply too loose for my tastes. When you get past the "dead on center" and actually start to turn the truck either way (we'll use right as an example) after completing my right turn when I start to turn the wheel left again it INSTANTLY turns back left with no play in the steering at all. Also once I am passed the "dead on center" there is NO PLAY what so ever in the steering system.

Having the dead on center problem causes a big headache trying to keep the truck in a straight line on the road at high speeds, especially after I've been drinking. (joking)

Thus, I am trying to get to this adjustment mechanism at the top of hte steering box to increase the mesh of the gears a 1/4 turn to try to fix this problem. I really don't want the truck to sit at the dealer for a week for them to do a 5 minute job, that I would rather do myself.

I would bet you a case of cold beer its not your tie rods, but just the steering box.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

Sounds like excess play in the box to me.

Also on the front wheel bearings might need more preload (at least on 2wd models). I've seen where you can jack up the front end and shake the wheel and feel play in bearing. Putting a little more preload helps.
2000 F350 Lariat CC, 3.73ratio DRW, 2wd, 7.3PSD, Auto with BTS valvebody, DP-Tuner 80hp econo ECM, ITP regulated return fuel system, 203 T-stat, billet T-stat housing, B&W turnoverball gooseneck hitch, Brakesmart controller, Bilstein Shocks, 05' Facelift.

2004 Kubota L3830 HST 4wd tractor

US Navy 2/89-2/93 stationed USS Paul F Foster (DD 964) Long Beach, CA.
Participated in Operation Desert Shield/ Desert Storm.
DIYracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2006, 08:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

[ QUOTE ]
Having the dead on center problem causes a big headache trying to keep the truck in a straight line on the road at high speeds, especially after I've been drinking. (joking)

[/ QUOTE ]

that is the exact some thing mine does. mine might have more that an inch or two of play though. i thought about tightening the nut on top of the box, but from doing it in the past, all it did was make the wheel a little harder to turn, not actually mesh the gears closer. am i right or does it really tighten up the gears?

ECBR
PICS
WEBSHOTS
rednck21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2006, 09:14 PM   #13 (permalink)

With an '05 and 22k on miles let the dealer mess with it. If they say nothing is wrong find another dealer. I have heard of guys making it worse and cause the steering to bind up if they tighten to much.

2000 Excursion 4x4

http://community.webshots.com/user/mmsafd
mmsafd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2006, 05:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

I had the same problems and I just had to replace the steering box. Only had 78,000 miles, that adjustment is easy on a 7.3L and I set it according to Ford, with an inch pound torque wrench on the steering wheel with the tie rods removed. It had no play but it drove worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.