Averaging 11 to 13 MPG! 7.3 Powerstroke - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Averaging 11 to 13 MPG! 7.3 Powerstroke

I have a 2002 F250 with the 7.3 in it, anyways I only average between 11-13 MPG , i don't drive crazy just normal driving. Its a extended cab short box and i did put in the edge Juice with attitude in it thinking it would help out with the MPG and its hasn't helped it seams like. When i bought the truck it did have stacks on it but who ever had to before just cut the exhaust off at the bed and ran stacks up, so i fixed that and now its stock exhaust from the turbo to the bed then from the bed to the back is a 4 inch exhaust. ive heard other people with the same kind of truck/ motor get upwards of 20 MPGs so any tips on what i can do to at least get some better mileage out of the truck
Powerstroke18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstroke18 View Post
I have a 2002 F250 with the 7.3 in it, anyways I only average between 11-13 MPG , i don't drive crazy just normal driving. Its a extended cab short box and i did put in the edge Juice with attitude in it thinking it would help out with the MPG and its hasn't helped it seams like. When i bought the truck it did have stacks on it but who ever had to before just cut the exhaust off at the bed and ran stacks up, so i fixed that and now its stock exhaust from the turbo to the bed then from the bed to the back is a 4 inch exhaust. ive heard other people with the same kind of truck/ motor get upwards of 20 MPGs so any tips on what i can do to at least get some better mileage out of the truck
First things first, how are you calculating the MPG? The ONLY way to accurately do it is to:

1) use the same pump at the same station
2) take your time and fill until you see fuel standing in the fuel filler
3) drive for several hundred miles, then repeat 1&2

I would do this a few times then you'll have an average. When filling these trucks, lots of foam is created from the filling process. From the time the pump first clicks off, and when it's actually full, is 6 gallons shy of full. So I take the time, pump very slowly, wait for the foam to go down, then pump some more. Finally the fuel will be standing in the fuel filler. That's full.

FYI, I get a low of 16 if city driving and not being easy on it. 17 is more my norm. On the highway, 18-20 depending on conditions. Average is usually just over 19. Towing a boat or car will give me 14-15.

Hope this helps.
Steve
Early 99 7.3 F250 Extended cab 4x4 6-speed 200,000 miles DIY intake, MBRP 4" single exit, Isspro EGT and boost, DP Tuner 80 econo flash, South Bend clutch Carbotech Bobcat front brake pads, Door seal and Snowman mods...
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
Do you have any way of checking boost pressure? Try looking at the intercooler boots (all 6 of them) for leaks.

Have you checked the exhaust for leaks between the manifolds and the turbo? The popular spot is the up-pipes from the manifolds to the y-pipe behind the turbo. There are doughnut gaskets in there that are prone to leaking.

Are you noticing any more black smoke from the exhaust than normal? A low boost condition will lead to more fuel than air and less power. Just something else to check.

DP-Tuner 80T, 160cc single shots, GTP38R turbo, Ceramic coated IH up-pipes, coolant filter, 6637, DIY exhaust brake, openair CCV, propane, SBC DD all ceramic clutch, ISSPRO EV boost/pyro/HPOP pres./rear end temp, 4" lift, traction bars, 255/70R22.5 tires, York air compressor, 16 flashy lights, 12 strobes, 12 switches on console, 9 switches on the dash, 7 two-way radios, 5 air horns, laptop, siren, 105 gal. in-bed fuel tank, Kennesaw Mountain front bumper

'86 H-D Sportster - 16" apes, custom paint, custom pipes to fishtails, single fire ignition, leather saddle bags on custom brackets, bagger fender, solo seat, home made luggage rack, all LED rear lights

'66 Bronco "Big Little Monster"
BTBBT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
I was getting 11-13 just like you. I tried everything.. There were only a few things that improved MPG for me:

1) Brakes. I had a stuck slide pin
2) Fuel leaks. Got them fixed up.
3) Borg Warner CPS
4) PHP tunes.

I now get a consistant 14MPG+, never below 13, and thats 75% city.

Phoenix 6pos (Stock, 65dd, Whisper, 100p, 120r, 80t), 6637 Intake, RR-IC Boots, BW CPS, DeFoiled, 08 Tail Lights, MBRP TB 4" w/ muffler, Firestone load bags, 05+ Tow mirrors, Custom Flag Mount

My Youtube videos
A/Ox4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

My experience is that the quality of the diesel fuel makes a huge difference in mpg. I prefer to buy at stations that sell to 18 wheelers. And there is also a pretty big difference between summer and winter blend diesel mpg, at least where I live. I may be imagining things, though.

Foam and trapped air take a lot away from tank capacity. So I agree that filling should be very slow and the tank truly filled. You can often hear the air bubble burps for the last four or five gallons.
vineyridge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

I checked all the bolts and everything was tight, also i use the same pump ever time i fill up , i did try pumping alittle slower and that did help me get more fuel in the tank, but still getting 12 mpg , should i invest in a whole new exhaust , i was thinking 4 inch down pipe with 4 inch all the way back to a 5 inch tip now would that help as well. the truck has 205000 miles on her should i do some maintenance on it , im pretty new to diesel engines, currently going to school for an diesel mechanic. new glow plugs or something , my brakes do squeak when im driving but one i apply the brake pedal it goes away so i think new brakes here soon , once the weather warms up
Old 03-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

also forgot to mention my exhaust right now does have some small leaks towards the end before the rear axle, I have stock downpipe and stock exhaust all the way back to the bed , then from there its a 4 inch pipe over the rear axle then a 4 inch tip, the owner before me had stacks on it and just cut off the exhaust at the bed and ran pipes up , it was a hack job thats why i got rid of the stacks and now i want to get a new exhuast but want to do it myself rather then buying a a whole system since i already bought a 4 inch tail pipe. any tips on how to do my own exhaust, i do weld so welding is not a problem for me
Old 03-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Since you are new to diesels, I will give you what has worked for me.

A diesel exhaust leak toward the rear will make no difference in mpg, so don't worry about that.

Glowplugs are for starting a diesel and will not affect overall mpg

You say you have over 200K so you should "overhaul" the truck for maintenance (not inside engine and trans) if you plan on keeping your ride.
Get (motorcraft parts are best, part # in () )
1-oil and oil filter change (FL1995)
2-new air filter (FA1750 for stock filter box)
3-new fuel filter(you will need the cap and filter FD4596)
4-transmission fluid change (filter also while you are at it, look up the one for your trans.)
5-make sure your brakes are not dragging, jack each wheel up and spin it by hand and check yourself for drag.
6-Look on the diver door jamb for proper type/size of tires and the proper inflation of cold tires. Bigger and under-inflated tires cost you
7-The cps you use will have an effect as well. Original black is best (no longer manufactured or easily available), look this highly discussed issue and learn the differences
8-Fuel. Make sure the station you use sells a lot of diesel. Winter blend gets worse mpg. Use a fuel additive if you want. Some experience a valuable benefit, some don't. There are studies on the net about this issue as well.
9-Stop all leaks. Make sure your turbo pipes are not leaking and your fuel bowl area is not leaking. Look at your engine valley from the front to rear, fuel bowl to turbo, and make sure it is dry. If not, you have a leak that needs to be repaired. Use some simple green and a water hose to degrease your engine to pinpoint leaks.

I have found that maximum mpg in these trucks is a sum of all what I listed and not just 1 or 2 of them. If your truck has all of what I listed above done correct, you should be getting your max mpg's.
2001 F-250 4X4 CC SB 7.3 4R100 3.73, BFGoodrich All-Terrain TA/KO, Motorcraft filters, Mile Marker manual hub locks w/ESOF (No hub "floating"), AIH delete, Rust-Oleum bed coating, Silverstar Ultra headlamps w/ clear headlight assemblies, 5,000K LED interior lamps; Moog greaseable u-joints, ball-joints, front hub assemblies; retractable bed hitch, original black CPS (BEST "mod" I have), Energy Suspension bushings, Red Heavy Duty ELC, Edge Evolution 15001 (for gauges), Walker BTM, Donaldson AIS
01f25073 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Brakes dragging is a big one. I had that happen 2 separate times with my truck.

Just an FYI, I just got 18.5 MPG mixed highway and city. And that's filling up at the same station and filling until I see fuel in the filler.

You'll find something, especially with what everyone here has mentioned.
Early 99 7.3 F250 Extended cab 4x4 6-speed 200,000 miles DIY intake, MBRP 4" single exit, Isspro EGT and boost, DP Tuner 80 econo flash, South Bend clutch Carbotech Bobcat front brake pads, Door seal and Snowman mods...
Steve91T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

thank you all for the tips i will slowly start to work on everthing and see how it goes thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.