battery drain - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 06:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
battery drain

i am pretty ignorant when it comes to electrical so i need a little help here guys.

my batteries are draining down and i need some advice on locating the problem.

i have disconected the ground and used a voltmeter between the ground cable and the ground terminal and had power there. i then pulled all the fuses one by one including the main fuse block and the one under the hood but none of them took the power away from the ground cable to ground post. not sure what to do next. i am starting to suspect ignition or solenoid but i dunno, like i said i am pretty ignorant when it comes to electrical issues.
early 99 f-350 crew cab dually 4x4, 6 speed, dual 5 inch chrome stacks, aeroturbine 40/40 tymar intake, TS 4 position chip, Alcoa hot shot polished duallys, full A pilliar gauge mount, auto-meter boost and pyro http://photos.thedieselstop.com/show...at=500&thumb=1
horseshoer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2009, 06:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

OK , unhook the alternator. The diode can go bad and also cause the drain so I would do that next
Unhook just the wires

99 F350 Super Duty CCLB 7.3 Auto DRW 150000 miles, multi disk converter,Hydra chip with TW tunes,ISSPRO EV2 pyro fuel trans

1996 F250 XLT Ext Cab, Powerstroke, 4x4 Dana 60, Bilsteins shocks, BTS Trans, Baby Swamps,Tony Wildman Chip, AutoMeter Pyro/Trans/Boost, Tymar intake, MBRP 4 in turbo back exhaust, 209000 miles,D&B HT Starter

1996 F350 XL PowerStroke 4X4 DRW, Auto Trans, Stock Work Dump truck, DDP down pipe,Tymar intake, 113000 miles
Excavator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2009, 08:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
How old and, What kind of Batteries do you have??
Old 01-27-2009, 02:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

thanks for the responses.

unhooked the alternator wires and still had the same draw. i also checked my alternator output with AE and it was fine.

the draw is like .11 with one negative lead unhooked and 12.4 volts with both unhooked when checking the negative leads to negative terminals.

the batteries are about a year old and are motorcraft. i think they are 850 cca and are 100 month batteries. both test good but have swapped them out with another set but i get the same results.
early 99 f-350 crew cab dually 4x4, 6 speed, dual 5 inch chrome stacks, aeroturbine 40/40 tymar intake, TS 4 position chip, Alcoa hot shot polished duallys, full A pilliar gauge mount, auto-meter boost and pyro http://photos.thedieselstop.com/show...at=500&thumb=1
Old 01-27-2009, 02:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Now you want to check the draw by pulling fuses
Here is how

This is how I find the draw on batteries
You also want to disconnect the alternator plug as that could be bad and will drain the batts. On Powerstrokes disconnect both negative terminals

I do it with the negative leads off and use test light between the negative cable and the negative post on battery.

This is the procedure I follow:
If no other electrical accessory are causing the battery to drain over night a manual draw check of the electrical system will need to be performed. What this means is you will be checking the electrical draw the battery has on it when the car is locked up, with the key in the "off" position". First open the hood and disable the under hood illumination light, if equipped. Next, with the key off and the doors locked wait 15 minutes, then disconnect the battery cable on the negative side. (The 15 minute wait allows the computers to go into "sleep mode" and shuts down all electrical). Attach a test light between the negative battery cable end and the negative battery terminal. The test light should illuminate dimly or not at all. If the test light is on brightly there is a strong electrical draw in the system. To locate this electrical draw start removing fuses one at a time. When the test light goes out the circuit in question has been located.
The alternator could be bad and also cause the draw so if test light or volt meter shows a draw then try unhooking the alternator along with pulling fuses.

99 F350 Super Duty CCLB 7.3 Auto DRW 150000 miles, multi disk converter,Hydra chip with TW tunes,ISSPRO EV2 pyro fuel trans

1996 F250 XLT Ext Cab, Powerstroke, 4x4 Dana 60, Bilsteins shocks, BTS Trans, Baby Swamps,Tony Wildman Chip, AutoMeter Pyro/Trans/Boost, Tymar intake, MBRP 4 in turbo back exhaust, 209000 miles,D&B HT Starter

1996 F350 XL PowerStroke 4X4 DRW, Auto Trans, Stock Work Dump truck, DDP down pipe,Tymar intake, 113000 miles
Excavator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 10:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

good info Excavator,

i followed your procedure using a voltmeter instead of a test light. terminal to cable was 12.4 volts until i pulled the maxi fuse for the "instrument panel / junction box" and then it dropped to 0.14 volts.

i am also getting a code with AE for B1352 (key in circuit failure GEM timer). dont know if its related or not. i am affraid the GEM unit or instrument cluster is bad.

i wondered if the ignition switch could be the culprit so i disconnected it but the draw on the batteries was still there. i think there is a switch on the back of the ignition tumbler that is depressed when the key is in the ignition. i will pull it tomorrow and check it just incase.

any other ideas? is there any way to pinpoint this problem to the GEM or cluster?
Old 02-13-2009, 09:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

any update? having issues with same fuses

play: :01 audi 225 coupe: heavily modded..
tturbonegro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 10:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Keep in mind the GEM unit is using power for 10-20 minutes after you pull the keys from the ignition. It controls the dome lights, parking lights etc.

If you have a weak electrical system with good batteries that go dead quite often I would put my money on the ground cables themselves.
Kanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 02:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

my keys havent been in igniton for like a day when i tested..door is open with latch shut, dome light, glove box light, and under hood light bulbs all removed, trailer eletric hook ups disconnected..no other accesories hooked up..

play: :01 audi 225 coupe: heavily modded..
tturbonegro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.