The Diesel Stop banner

Best way to remove rear view mirror mount??

20K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Dubco1 
#1 ·
I am getting ready to install a overhead guage pod over the rearview mirror, and need to relocate mount lower on the windshield to make room for the mount. There is not enough room to mount the guages and adjust the mirror with out lowering the mount. I need to know if there is a solvent used to remove the adhesive or will I need to pry the mount off(poss. cracking of glass)

Also I will need to lengthen the wiring that goes to the mirror, is there any excess wiring tucked in the headliner or will I need to add a length of wiring to the harness?

Thanks,
Brian Moore

#3 ·
Any old pair of pliers and a gas grille lighter set to a low flame will do the trick. Just hold the button with a very slight twisting force and hold the heat directly on the button. As soon as the adhesive softens it will turn and come off. Clean the button good with a razor blade and then use a scotchbrite on the surface. This will aid in a better bite when you reinstall it. Place the button on a 8 inch long piece of tape, apply the adhesive to the button and tape it to the glass. Leave the tape on over night and you will have a better bite than the way the instructions tell you to do it.

And don't be surprised when you find it in the floor one hot day. The factory glue is far better than what you buy in the parts house.

FOMOGO

#5 ·
Was also gonna suggest heat gun. Don't you just hate this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif(Factory glue is far better etc.) My rview mirror fell off, why me?

FWIW...coulda been glue, but here's what I think happened. Thinking about it noticed window reflect.shade did not have cutout for mirror. Shade was on inside (rear off) mirror. This was older one I had. Noticed my car shade had cutout for mirror. Anyhow, got glue from part store, reglued & cutout area in old shade for mirror. Hi desert here, so I suspect harsh/intense sun/heat intensified from reflection of shade caused it to loose grip. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif Anyhow, still holding w/aftmkt. glue. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Tks. again!

#6 ·
What kind of pod did you get? I just installed my pod over the rear view and had no clearance problems.

#8 ·
The pod is from guageworks? There was enough room to mount the pod, but not enough room to adjust the mirror. Getting the mount and mirror off was easy(after getting help from the list 8>))
Now i can't get the mirror completely back on the mount.

Live and learn, I really like the guages. I have to be careful not to stare at them while driving.

Brian Moore

#9 ·
Just a thought...

Did you put the button on upside down???

FOMOGO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.