Brakes Pads are too hard says Ford - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2007, 05:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brakes Pads are too hard says Ford

Has anyone heard of brake pads being too hard? I took my truck into the dealership today ( still under an extendacare ford bumper to bumper warranty) the brakes were pulling really hard to the right under aggressive braking. Normal braking ( light pressure) no problems, but if you really had to get on them they would pull bad.

Well just got a call from my friendly service adviser. He told me there aftermarket pads. DUH. I had a brake job done about 7K ago. He also informed me that the pads were too hard and thus causing the pull. I am throwing the BS flag on this. I believe the calipers may be bad, though they were checked and all appears well!? says the advisor. He also informed me that to replace rotors and do brakes for the front axle woud cost $800. I laughed at him and told him I will be picking up the truck this afternoon..

My question is would aftermarket pads that are too hard be causing this? if this is the case I will just re-mill the rotors and throw some ford genuine pads ( from sponsors so the don't cost so much)

Thoughts?
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2007, 05:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Brakes Pads are too hard says Ford

sounds to me like a caliper might be sticking.. if its pulling to the right i would check the left caliper an see if its working.. an check the pads on that side .. an see how they are wearing compared to the other side..you could put the pads from right to left an see if it switch's the pull but i would bet its the caliper
Old 06-28-2007, 05:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)

Change the pads to the other side and see if the pull follows the pads or stays the same. If it still pulls the same, you know it is the hose, caliper or slidepins.
2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 Auto 4.10 DRW, DP-Tuner F5 live tuned stock, quiet, 40dd, 40, 60, 80 tow, 80e and 120r, B&W GN, BrakeSmart, 'pooned tank, tank and pre-pump mods, 2 Dahl 100 filter, regulated return, BTS dual HPOP, AC singles with EDM 34 lpm nozzles, AIS, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC, Hypermax 3.5" dp--> MBRP 4" 304SS exhaust, BTS tranny, 203 T-stat, Chevron ELC, coolant filter, Oilguard bypass with Schaeffer 9000, WranglerNW 200 amp alternator & Optima group 31 batteries, Nippon-Denso starter, SPA gauges, SteveRacer mods, Hella 80/100W 9007s, Hella Micro DE foglights, 1000FF driving lights, 220W backup lights, Stancor contactor, Michelin XPS Traction tires, X-Springs, Bilstein shox, custom bumpers but otherwise stock. Nov 30 '99 build engine with 16 K miles, Fluidampr, Comp Cam 910 springs, Melling LPOP and ARP headstuds.
haul_n_horses2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2007, 06:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)

The dealer may be having a knee jerk reaction to an old problem with the OE pads, where batch to batch friction was not as consistent as it needed to be on this vehicle, and therefore pulls would occur.

This vehicle is very sensitive to side to side running condition. If there is a temperature difference due to slight hangup, there will be a pull (it will go to the hot side). As mentioned, if there is a friction difference in one or two pads on one side of the vehicle, there will be a pull. And unfortunately, a few other situations too. The 99-04 vehicle's brakes need too much attention. Also your pull could be from the front or the rear.

First is the pull a hard snap right from the start of the brake application, or does it happen towards the end of the stop and drifts over. Drifts come from the rear brakes.

Unfortunately the common mechanic method of just removing the caliper and seeing if the slides work OK and the piston boots are OK doesn't OK the brake assembly. You also need to check if the pads are free in the brackets.

If the pads have been conditioned with more heat due to a slight hangup, they will still have higher friction and pull if the slides, brackets or other issues have been addressed. It's best to switch the pads side to side and see if the pull goes that way. If it stays to the switched side for more then a few days, then switch back only the outer pad. That usually clears things up if the pads are over conditioned.

If we get a pull on a test vehicle, will spend a few days trying these little things until we have found the root cause. Not sure if you are going to want to play that much.

Truck Pictorials on Facebook. Google - Facebook TooManyToys

Step Lights;Painted Flanges; Bypass Oil Filter; Heated Mirror Switch; Reverse Lights; 7.3L Fuel Reg Shim; 6 Disc Radio Speed Volume Mod; Coolant Filter, etc.
FMTRVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2007, 11:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would go to Autozone and get there best brake pads about $80.00 bucks, rather than all that trouble switching, sure is a lot cheaper than $800.00 and all that work. You can check all of the above while replacing the pads.
99.5 F350 XLT Lariat 4X4 4R100 4.10 DW CC LB Centurion conversion Garret Turbo, Radio SD &Tape, SP Performance 40-60-80 chip, 100 Gal.Transfer Flow W/Trimax Control Aux. fuel tank. ScanGaugeII, Boost, EGT, Trans. Temp. Oil Temp. Build date 03/99

92 F350 7.3 IDIT E4OD CC LB dually Banks turbo US Gear O/U

Have AutoEnginuity W/Ford enhanced. Lima OH area.

My mind works lightening fast.
One Flash and it's gone forever.
Bill1013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2007, 12:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

I had problems with my 02 F350 dually pulling. A fresh brake job (pads and turned rotors) fixed it but only for a couple of weeks, then pulling again. Shortly there after got a brake (ABS) warning light. Was a sensor for one of the front wheels. After it was changed, no more pulling. I'm sure the sensor was screwing up all along, just not enough to set the light earlier in time.
fullservice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2007, 02:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Swapped pads last night from side to side. All calipers and hardware seemed in good working order. Today it does not seem to pull, though I have only driven mabye 25 miles on the switched pads. I will update if any more pulling occurs. Thanks
Old 07-01-2007, 06:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

id ask the dealer how he MEASURED the hardness (durometer)
of the pads...and id ask him to SHOW you the measurement readings
so that he could ALSO do the same (demonstration) in front of
you w/ the "FORD" pads !

the dealer is FULL OF IT !
Old 07-02-2007, 03:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

No reported pulling. Seemed the swapping of pads solved the issue. Must have been a bad seating of the pads when changed. All is well. thanks guys.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

I wish I knew what I did with them, but I had images of test days of an F-150 that developed a brake pull with a temperature imbalance of 100F. When this happens during a durability / wear test, the first thing we generally do is switch the pads side to side. Most often, the issue never returns and the wear measurements show no issues.

We used to tear everything down, measure dimensions of the steelback, caliper rollbacks, pressure differential, and never found anything significant. But flipping the pads does it's thing.

There are two common methods of measuring the hardness of brake pads. One is a Rockwell tester, but that plunger is too small and can give false readings. The other tool is a Gogan Harness tester, and with it's larger plunger is more appropriate. A Durometer is fine for soft materials like rubber compounds, but brake material is not compliant enough.

Step Lights;Painted Flanges; Bypass Oil Filter; Heated Mirror Switch; Reverse Lights; 7.3L Fuel Reg Shim; 6 Disc Radio Speed Volume Mod; Coolant Filter, etc.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

jack thanks for the education !
Old 07-03-2007, 01:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

One of those goofy friction material science situations. While some compounds look like they are rubber based, they are too hard for a durometer. As weird as it sounds, some railroad wheel brake shoes are soft enough for a durometer and have a large rubber constituent. You just would not think something that brakes such a heavy train car would be like that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.