Convert Dual Rear Wheels to 1 wide single wheel? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 09:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Convert Dual Rear Wheels to 1 wide single wheel?

Hey guys, I have been thinking about converting my dually rear wheels to one wide wheel. I still want to keep the truck a "dually" with hips and the D80 axle etc. Just considering swapping to one wide rear tire / wheel like a LOT of big trucks are doing. I have noticed a lot of over the road trucks running one wide tire / wheel on both drive axles of their big trucks instead of duals.

From what I have been told, it cuts down on weight and maintains a similar load capacity as the duals.

I dont know what options are available for pickups but I have been considering swapping to big truck wheels and using the same ones they use in the rear if possible. I need to look at what tires are available and lug nut adapter etc to see if this is feasible. I DONT want to lift the truck as I will be pulling goosenecks / fifth wheels with it a lot.

Anyone heard of anything like this or know of some options?

Found this:
Convert a Dually to a single rear wheel

Thanks

'02, 7.3L PSD 6spd F350 4x4 DRW CC
Mods: IH Bellowed Up-pipes, 4" MBRP Turbo Back Exh, B&W Gooseneck Hitch, Michelin LTX A/T2 235/85R16's and Schaeffer's Oil

Last edited by Muddinf2501999; 01-19-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Muddinf2501999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2011, 11:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I've seen some neat stuff from these guys in the past: Stockton Wheel Service - Since 1883
2005 F-350 CC, LB, 4x4, Dually, 6.0 Powerstroke, Torqueshift, 4:10 Gears. Gooseneck and rear pull hitches. "Truck Covers USA" roll up aluminum tonneau cover. Putco Boss Running Boards. Aluminum finned diff covers. Bilstein HD shocks. ProComp steering stabilizer. XRF ball joints. NC Hornet CCV mod. RCD egr delete kit. AirDog fuel system. Strictly Diesel's regulated fuel and coolant return lines kits. Amsoil oil bypass (by NUC Motorsports) and homebuilt coolant bypass kits. CFM intake elbow. ARP head studs with factory gaskets and all upgrades. FICM by Ed with Atlas 40 tune, DC Power 185 amp alternator, MBRP 304SS "Cool Dual" exhaust system. SCT Livewire tuner with pyrometer. Autometer 'A' pillar gauges (Boost/Trans temp/Pyrometer/Fuel Pressure). 850 CCA Motorcraft Batteries. Using Rotella T-6 synthetic oil. Upgraded degas tank and cap. Hayes deep aluminum trans pan. GoGo Diesel modified direct clutch solenoid. Retro Solutions HID head and fog lights. High idle mod. Jimmi-Jammers. +More.
fordsforever73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
There is another thread just started asking the exact same thing. The problem you will most likey run into is finding a tire that is close to twice the width of a common tire that doesn't have a comparatively tall sidewall. Let alone one that will handle the same weight as two common tires. Stockton does good work, another company is Rickson Wheel. Rickson is currently making a wheel and selling a tire with it to replace the dual wheel with a single. The problem is the tire is only about 8.5" wide. You are looking for something that is closer to 14" to 16" wide. No one makes such an animal right now. And probably won't.

DP-Tuner 80T, 160cc single shots, GTP38R turbo, Ceramic coated IH up-pipes, coolant filter, 6637, DIY exhaust brake, openair CCV, propane, SBC DD all ceramic clutch, ISSPRO EV boost/pyro/HPOP pres./rear end temp, 4" lift, traction bars, 255/70R22.5 tires, York air compressor, 16 flashy lights, 12 strobes, 12 switches on console, 9 switches on the dash, 7 two-way radios, 5 air horns, laptop, siren, 105 gal. in-bed fuel tank, Kennesaw Mountain front bumper

'86 H-D Sportster - 16" apes, custom paint, custom pipes to fishtails, single fire ignition, leather saddle bags on custom brackets, bagger fender, solo seat, home made luggage rack, all LED rear lights

'66 Bronco "Big Little Monster"
BTBBT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2011, 07:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

what BTBBT said! i have the E450 dually in my avatar. looked into same thing. no problem getting wheels made as wide as you want but tires arent there in the fun sizes we want. i wish we could get 19.5" rickson wheels with tires that were scaled matches to the 22.5" big rig version. would be all over that.
2004 E450 Cutaway, 6.0L, quigley 4x4, ambulance pkg., maxbrake controller, curt 20k fifth wheel. Future mods: 52" sleeper, tandem (6x6?) rear (aint look'n likely), frame cover. maybe a Herd front bumper.
2003 E350, 7.3l, x-cargo
2003 F350 Lariat, 4x4, CC, SRW, Dark Green Fx4 SOLD
1995 C3500 6.5l work trk, 2x4, CC, DRW, white DECEASED PREMATURALLY
2003 JEEP WRANGLER, ooooops, not anymore!
1986 26' Seaway Northstar w/ 454 Mercruiser
2008 Montana Mountaineer 332PHT
1991 GMC Topkick, CAT, 4' vert. gang boxes, 12' dump. if only all were as reliable!
SIC-E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ok, thanks for all the info guys.

You basically confirmed my concerns about doing the "Super Single" on my F350. I will stick to duals and roll on down the road. I still like the idea of having an extra tire if one blows out. ESPECIALLY when loaded pulling a 40' float etc.

I will be in need of a set of tires sometime in the next couple months which is why I was entertaing this idea. Anyway, now I have to decide if I want to stick with 235/85R16's or swap to 255/85R16's and rear steel spacers. Really dont like spacers but I do like the idea of a taller tire to drop my RPMs at hwy speeds.. hmm

'02, 7.3L PSD 6spd F350 4x4 DRW CC
Mods: IH Bellowed Up-pipes, 4" MBRP Turbo Back Exh, B&W Gooseneck Hitch, Michelin LTX A/T2 235/85R16's and Schaeffer's Oil
Muddinf2501999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2011, 09:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
I know it is a lot more money, but why not go with a 19.5 setup? There are setups out there that will bolt right to your truck. You won't get the wider tires, but that's what your other truck is for. You will get a much longer lasting, safer, and better handling tire. And on a tow rig, I think they look great.

DP-Tuner 80T, 160cc single shots, GTP38R turbo, Ceramic coated IH up-pipes, coolant filter, 6637, DIY exhaust brake, openair CCV, propane, SBC DD all ceramic clutch, ISSPRO EV boost/pyro/HPOP pres./rear end temp, 4" lift, traction bars, 255/70R22.5 tires, York air compressor, 16 flashy lights, 12 strobes, 12 switches on console, 9 switches on the dash, 7 two-way radios, 5 air horns, laptop, siren, 105 gal. in-bed fuel tank, Kennesaw Mountain front bumper

'86 H-D Sportster - 16" apes, custom paint, custom pipes to fishtails, single fire ignition, leather saddle bags on custom brackets, bagger fender, solo seat, home made luggage rack, all LED rear lights

'66 Bronco "Big Little Monster"
BTBBT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2011, 07:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Big-Rig 19.5 Direct Bolt On Dually Wheels

American Force 19.5" wheels with 225/70-19.5 tires for $3036.52. Four aluminum plus 2 steel wheels. Commercial 19.5" tires may last as long as 150,000 miles. The tire diameter is 32.2", about the same as stock LT235/85-16. They are direct bolt on with no adapters needed.
2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 170,000 miles, repairs so far: starter, batteries, cps, brakes, tires.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
DonWarkentin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2013, 07:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Send a message via Yahoo to bthor76
I know your truck is not in the same weight class as my F650 and you don't use it in the same capacity as I do (hotshot work). My GVWR is 26,000 and it's not uncommon for me to put an 11,000 lb diesel pump and hual it 500 miles on my flatbed but for what it's worth here's my two cents. I posted the following on another thread earlier today.

Just this week I was on the cusp of buying two for my F650 which of course would've replaced my worn Michelin duallys. The salesman at the Michelin truck tire store said that in ten years all trucks would probably be converting to them due to the MPG increases. They really look cool and I was being swayed but I can't let my emotions or prejudices get the better of me. As I always do before buying I did some research. The drivers on the truckers forums were running about 8:1 against them. The biggest concern was traction control. Although there is more rubber on the road that same rubber doesn't allow for water or snow to quickly go around the footprint like duallys do so the chance of hydroplaning increases dramatically. Go to YouTube and search super singles for more on this. The second major concern is that a catasphrophic loss of air pressure (blowout) requires an automatic roadcall of a tire service company. There of course is no limping to the next exit because of possible damage to the single rim and to make matters worse the rim may be damaged at the time of the blowout due to the weight of the truck and load resting on it. Another concern is that the tire service company may not have the tire and possibly the rim in stock due to the unpopularity of the super singles.

Beware of the super single they say.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.