Correct tire pressure - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2010, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Correct tire pressure

I recently bought a new set of Michlein tires for my 2002 F350 4x2 crewcab from Discount Tires, on the sidewall it says the pressure should be 80psi front and rear, but the manual and the psi amount on the backside of the fuel filler door says 80psi on the rear and 50psi on the fronts. What psi do all of you guys use for longer tire wear?

Advertisement

Old 06-14-2010, 05:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I may be wrong but isn't the PSI rating on the sidewall the maximum pressure rating, not the recommended pressure.

I Can't remember off hand what I run but I think I run about 65-70 in all 6 tires.
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2010, 06:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The PSI on the sidewall is the maximum PSI tire can take. The only time you should inflate your tires that much is when you have over 6,520 pounds on the rear axle..IOW, only when severely overloaded.

The PSI on the Federal Certification Label on the lower doorpost behind the driver's seat is the PSI you need when loaded to the GVWR of the truck.

The PSI you should run depends on the exact size of the tire, and the load on each tire. Use a tire load/inflation table for your size tire to determine the PSI to run if you want to maximize the life of the tire.

A 2002 F350 4x2 SRW came with size LT265/75R16E tires. If you still run that size, here is the load/inflation table:

PSI max load per tire
--- -------
35 . 1910
40 . 2100
45 . 2280
50 . 2470
55 . 2625
60 . 2790
65 . 3000
70 . 3105
75 . 3260
80 . 3415

Example 1: Your truck when loaded for bear weighs 4,500 on the front axle and 5,500 on the rear axle. So that's 2,250 on each front tire and 2,750 on each rear tire. Applying the above load/inflation table, you need a minimum of 40 PSI in the front tires and 60 PSI in the back tires. I'd probably pump both ends up 5 PSI more and run with 45 front and 65 rear.

Example 2: your truck when unloaded has only a driver and a toolbox and some miscellaneous junk behind the back seat and in the bed, so with a full tank of diesel it weighs 4,200 on the front axle and 3,750 on the rear axle. Or 2,100 pounds on each front tire and 1,875 on each rear tire. The table calls for a minimum of 40 PSI in the front tires and 35 in the rear. I'd probably run 45 front and 40 rear so my sweetheart could jump in with me without my having to pump up the tires.

Discount Tire has those load/inflation tables. The tire companies encourage truckers to use the load/inflation tables to get the max life out of their tires without danger of blowouts caused by underinflation. But for some reason some of the tire companies don't encourage use of the load inflation tables for pickups and vans. I guess they think we're too stupid to use the tables. Michelin doesn't even include them on their website for LT tires. They are on the MichelinTruck website for RV tires, but that doesn't include the LT265/75R16E on your truck. However, the tables apply to all brands of tires that are the same size, regardless of brand. So any load/inflation table you can find for your size tire is applicable to your Michelin tires. For example, here's the GoodYear table:
http://www.goodyear.com/truck/pdf/da...dInflation.pdf[/QUOTE]

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.

Last edited by SmokeyWren; 06-14-2010 at 07:15 PM. Reason: clarify
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.