Dim Headlights - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2009, 11:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dim Headlights

I couldn't find anyone else with this problem, so here it is. My headlights are extremely dim. Everywhere I go I have to put the hi-beams on just to see in front of me. If I use the low-beam it looks a candle in my headlights. I am thinking there is not enough power to the bulbs, I purchased sylvania silverstar- ultrastars and they look the same, dim. Any ideas??
guardcasey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2009, 12:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

Are the headlight lenses cloudy and/or yellow looking? Badly oxidized headlight lenses can really impact a headlight's light output.
krshultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2009, 12:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

I had after market lights installed and when they were burning out they got dimmer and dimmer.I do not remember the brand of lamp-pull your lamp out and check it.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardcasey View Post
I couldn't find anyone else with this problem, so here it is. My headlights are extremely dim. Everywhere I go I have to put the hi-beams on just to see in front of me. If I use the low-beam it looks a candle in my headlights. I am thinking there is not enough power to the bulbs, I purchased sylvania silverstar- ultrastars and they look the same, dim. Any ideas??

It would help if you fill in your signature so we know what year truck you have.
Stock. Replaced #1 Injector/harness, Starter Relay,CPS(twice), GPR, VSS, S-Belt, Alternator H2O Pump. AIS Severe Duty Filter, Switched 10K MOD, Bilsteins, Heater shutoff valve, Rotella Syn, Nitto TG's 305/55 on Eagle 20x10's, Mobil 1 ATF,Walker BTM, Optima Redtops,Mesa, Arizona
PRDATR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

It is a 2000 CC LB 4x4. The lens covers are clear and not yellow or cloudy in any way. I have one new bulb in and one old one. they look exactly the same when driving on low beam. and it impossible to see them in front of the car unless pitch black. They emit a dull orange color
guardcasey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (35)
Could be that a wire is partly broken and not getting all of the power to the lights, the socket for the lights are dirty and not letting the power pass from the wires to the lights.
2000 E350 7.3PSD, Hellwig Stablizer bar,140 Lightforce with covers, 55Watt High/Lows HID's (watch which company) , extras in the bumper. 4"Aero Turbin and 4" all the way back. 1705 program, Scangauge II,265/75/16E Toyo Open Country, My Photos http://photos.thedieselstop.com/show...ser/32366/sl/a
"FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION"

It riles them to believe
that you perceive
the web they weave
And keep on thinking free
Alaskapsdvan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2009, 12:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

I think it is a bad ground on the headlights, I had it happen on a gasser. The ground connection had gotton battery acid slopped on it and was very bad. Took everything apart and cleaned it, replaced a section of deteriorated wire (from battery acid) and all was fine after that.
02 F350 4x4 CREW 7.3 150K, BFG Rugged Terrain 285s, AIS, Isspro pyro, boost & tranny temp pillar pod, Dipricol coolant temp, ELC, Isspro EV-2 Fuel Pressure & HPOP, Dieselsite boots, coolant & tranny filters & 203* Stat, 6.0 Tranny Cooler, ITP pre pump tank mod, Bellowed Up Pipes, Riffraff Frx, netbook mount with AE, GPR LED, Stancor, Red Head steering gear, Battery Tender & 2 Marincos.
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2009, 12:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have been doing some searching on here for a while for the same reason, although my truck doesn't seem as bad as you describe. The reason your aftermarket bulbs are the same brightness as you old ones is ford used very small wires in their headlight harness and it doesn't send enough up to the lights to power them. Another reason is the type of bulb they used and the bucket design on our year just doesn't put out enough. There is a few people spending big bucks and doing it right putting the upgraded harness in and the upgraded headlight buckets or going with the '05 front clip look with those housings. There is also a mod you can do once you get the upgraded harness to run the highbeam element and the lowbeam element at the same time. There is also an HID system you can upgrade to I think but also kind of spendy and I don't know if it will work with the oldschool buckets.

Since I am a cheapskate I just mounted some pretty good driving lights in the stock driving/fog light location and aimed them about where the lowbeams should shine. For the highbeams I am planning on fabbing up a prerunner bar of sorts and mounting a couple bigger lights to flood the night with light.

sorry for the long winded post. All this stuff I learned from this site, although the search function can be daunting, the info is there, you just have to find it. Let me know what you end up doing and if it worked or not.
autometer GS series pyro/trans temp/boost gauges
tru-cool trans cooler, sonnax tri kit
riffraff fuel rail x-over and hpx
Bilstein 5100 rear shocks
255/85r16s
scoutguy66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2009, 10:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (35)
Make sure that each of the three wires in that go into the plug , it could be blue or black are all the way in.
I just lost one of my lights, normal when running them for the most part 24/7 and after replacing them with new lights, one of them was very dim, found that the middle wire was not all the way in, after pushing it all the way in ,,,, light at full bright.

Check the wires to make sure that they are all the way in.
2000 E350 7.3PSD, Hellwig Stablizer bar,140 Lightforce with covers, 55Watt High/Lows HID's (watch which company) , extras in the bumper. 4"Aero Turbin and 4" all the way back. 1705 program, Scangauge II,265/75/16E Toyo Open Country, My Photos http://photos.thedieselstop.com/show...ser/32366/sl/a
"FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION"

It riles them to believe
that you perceive
the web they weave
And keep on thinking free
Alaskapsdvan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.