Dino Oil??? Noob quest? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2008, 09:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dino Oil??? Noob quest?

What is dino oil? (sorry, english is not my first language) From what I have read it would be a "no-name" brand oil, is it right?
Thanks

Sold: 1999 early F-250 XLT, 7.3L auto. with 3" Trailmaster lift, ProComp Wheels & 315/75R16 Good Year, `05 headlight conv., Autometer gauges (pyro, trans & boost), ABOC.
DP Tuner (no-start, stock, 60 tow, 80 econo, 100 performance), 4" SS MBRP, Tymar intake, 203 thermostat, frame fuel filter, Hutch & Harpoon mod, EBPV exhaust brake with TC lockup, and a $100 Stancor relay thanks to UPS...

Trail Rig :'85 Bronco II, 302, C-4, BW1350/1350, full width Spartan super 60, Lincoln 10.50, 5.38 gears, ... on 42" pitbull tires
QcPwrStroke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2008, 09:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Non synthetic, earth made, rotten dinosaur, dinosaur poo & plant life.
Oil & egr cooler finally died at 220K

Last edited by Scot06; 02-15-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Scot06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2008, 09:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

"Dino oil" just means that it is NOT synthetic oil. It has nothing to do with brand names.

For example... Rotella T 15W-40 would be considered "dino oil" where as Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 would not.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Amsoil by far is the best oil around for diesels, it saves money, time labor and fuel. it is the only true synthetic oil sold in the world. the others are a cracked crude that the U S allows to be sold as snythetic. if you want to researce go to the amsoil web site AMSOIL - Synthetic Oil, Motor and Engine Oil, Lubricants, Air Filters, Oil Filters and Greases
aknope1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2008, 02:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aknope1 View Post
Amsoil by far is the best oil around for diesels.....
Please quantify this statement in some meaningful way.

2000 F250 XLT PSD Crewcab, Longbed, 4x4, Auto, LS 3.73
Ford AIS, Frantz Bypass Oil Filter, Baldwin Bypass Coolant Filter, Fumoto Drain Valve, 203* Thermostat, Stancor
Bilstein Shocks all the way around, Timbren SES (Rear), Bridgestone Dueler Revo A/T 265/75/16
Commander Monitor (gauges), Crimestopper CS-2016 DP II FM Remote Start/Alarm/Paging/Turbo Timer/Keyless
Rotella 5W40 Oil
, Texaco ELC Coolant, Mobile 1 ATF Trans and PS

My mods, repairs, and other truck Stuff
Jinco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2008, 03:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknope1 View Post
Amsoil by far is the best oil around for diesels, it saves money, time labor and fuel. it is the only true synthetic oil sold in the world. the others are a cracked crude that the U S allows to be sold as snythetic. if you want to researce go to the amsoil web site AMSOIL - Synthetic Oil, Motor and Engine Oil, Lubricants, Air Filters, Oil Filters and Greases

Quit spamming. The OP asked about what dino oil is made of, not about the all mighty Amsoil.

God people like this piss me off. DIAF....
Old 02-25-2008, 04:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QcPwrStroke View Post
What is dino oil?
There are two basic kinds of motor oil = dino and synthetic.

"Dino" is short for dinosaur. So in other words, dino oil is any oil made from crude oil or petroleum. It's also called "mineral" oil. The 'dino" name is based on the fact that crude oil is the leftovers from dinosaurs and other plants and animals that lived and died millions of years ago.

"Synthetic" oil is usually made from vegetable oil. Ignore the AMSoil salesman - he doesn't know what he's talking about. There are numerous brands of synthetic motor oil that are just as good as AMSoil, and they are all made from vegetable oil, so they are all synthetic. There are also some brands of oil that are semi-synthetic, i.e., a mix of dino oil and synthetic oil. And there is some controversy on the definition of "synthetic".

You can probably look it up in French. Start with the following terms:

Polyalphaolefin (PAO) = American Petroleum Institute (API) Group IV base oil

Synthetic esters, etc = API Group V base oils (non-PAO synthetics, including diesters, polyolesters, alklylated napthlenes, alkyklated benzenes, etc.)

Then there is the API Group III base oils that cause the controversy. They began life as petroleum, but have been refined to be a synthetic oil instead of a normal mineral oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Groups I and II are commonly referred to as mineral oils (or dino oils), group III is typically referred to as synthetic (except in Germany and Japan, where they must not be called synthetic) and group IV is a synthetic oil. Group V base oils are so diverse that there is no catch-all description.
The above quote was found in: Motor oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . There is probably a similar article in the French edition.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.

Last edited by SmokeyWren; 02-25-2008 at 05:17 AM.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.