Door Lock, dome light, door ajar problem - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Door Lock, dome light, door ajar problem

i have all these same problems, no locks, no dome light, door ajar light, no auto headlights ect. would the a bad (VSM) be the reason i have no power to the lock/unlock switch on the doors? or does any have any idea why im having all these problems at the same time? I have read a lot of these threads and have tired several different fixes, but havent found the right one yet
2002 f350 diesel crew cab
Dirtlove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

Does your radio work? If not, it could be the accessory delay relay.
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

i have a in dash nav/dvd touch screen cd player and yes it does work fine. do the door locks go though the accessory delay relay?
Old 02-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
This may be the GEM located above your interior fuse block. The GEM controls "luxury" items as well as the ESOF system. I had to replace mine last year and when it was out, I remember that a lot of lighting controlled by the opening of the door did not work (I remember specifically the dome lights not working). If the GEM is bad, don't waste your time calling and searching for the best price. They are very expensive and the best price you will get BY FAR is from Tousley when you tell them you are a Diesel Stop member.
2001 F-250 4X4 CC SB 7.3 4R100 3.73, BFGoodrich All-Terrain TA/KO, Motorcraft filters, Mile Marker manual hub locks w/ESOF (No hub "floating"), AIH delete, Rust-Oleum bed coating, Silverstar Ultra headlamps w/ clear headlight assemblies, 5,000K LED interior lamps; Moog greaseable u-joints, ball-joints, front hub assemblies; retractable bed hitch, original black CPS (BEST "mod" I have), Energy Suspension bushings, Red Heavy Duty ELC, Edge Evolution 15001 (for gauges), Walker BTM, Donaldson AIS
01f25073 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

thank you 01f25073 for the info. is there a way to test the GEM to see if it is bad before i spend a lot of money on a new one? would the GEM have anything to do with my door locks not working?
Old 02-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Yes, the GEM controls a lot of those type things like door locks. Since my last post, I also remembered that my electric windows wouldn't operate either when the GEM was out.

Making a long story short, I caused my GEM to fry while I was working on the truck. Immediately after, my ESOF system quit working. That is how I knew what was wrong with my truck. When I took the GEM out to tell Tousley the numbers on it (if it is your GEM, a lot of the original part numbers are not produced anymore so Tousley uses the numbers to find a GEM that is what the dealer would install if they were doing the work), that is when I realized all of the things it controlled. I think that you will need to find someone with a capable scanning tool and read the codes. That should tell you what your problem is with your truck, whatever it is. Don't go to the local auto parts store as their scanner can't read the codes on a 7.3 Powerstroke correctly. The favorite on here is Auto Ingenuity, but I have heard of others. That might be a good thread to start, "What scanning tools CAN read the codes on the 7.3?"

There are some electronics repair shops that I have heard repairs GEM's and other auto electronics but I just felt more comfortable with a new unit therefore being done with it.
2001 F-250 4X4 CC SB 7.3 4R100 3.73, BFGoodrich All-Terrain TA/KO, Motorcraft filters, Mile Marker manual hub locks w/ESOF (No hub "floating"), AIH delete, Rust-Oleum bed coating, Silverstar Ultra headlamps w/ clear headlight assemblies, 5,000K LED interior lamps; Moog greaseable u-joints, ball-joints, front hub assemblies; retractable bed hitch, original black CPS (BEST "mod" I have), Energy Suspension bushings, Red Heavy Duty ELC, Edge Evolution 15001 (for gauges), Walker BTM, Donaldson AIS

Last edited by 01f25073; 02-05-2013 at 03:59 PM.
01f25073 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

thanks again 01f25073, that is interesting i am going to have to take a look at that. my electric windows do work, but they work all the time never shut off. even when the truck is off keys out of the ignition and the doors open, windows still work. i also have read a post about ford changing from the GEM to the VSM in 2002. is this correct or do you know anything about this?
Old 02-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

also would the GEM being bad be the reason i dont have power to the door lock switch on the doors? because i have tested (with a test light) both switches and theres no power at the switch
Old 02-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
RT

No the door locks don't go through that relay - so that kind of rules that out. An 02 doesn't have a GEM, so that's probably not your problem...

This thread sounds like exactly what you are going through - VSM, Door ajar light, No dome light, No auto headlights, Door locks popping??
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

thanks RT for the info. looks like what im looking for
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.