Double DIN deck in 01 F250? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2006, 11:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Double DIN deck in 01 F250?

Has anyone installed a double DIN deck in a 99-04 F250? I have searched and really haven't come up with anything. I found this adapter, but it doesn't have a listing for the F250.
Banks BHA
2" drop shackles

1992 Ford Mustang LX 5.0
1989 Ford Ranger XLT
1986 Merkur XR4Ti
WhiteLX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2006, 03:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Double DIN deck in 01 F250?

If I remember correctly the openings in our dash's aren't really double din. However I have seen some done with double din radios, just requires some dremel work on the opening.
2003 F250 XLT Sport CC shorty,7.3L,Black on black leather,DR 4.5" lift with DR Sig.Series shocks, 17x10 Weld Evo Cheyenne 8 XT's,35x12.5 Toyo Open Country M/T's,DR adj.pan rod bar, DP Tuner F-5 chip w/no start,stock,high idle,40HP tow,80HP econo,and 120HP play,MBRP T-304 SS'Cool Duals'with ITP 6" tips,muffler delete, AFE Stage 2 Intake with PG-7,Autometer Z-series(Pyro,Boost,Tranny)mounted in the pillar, CCV mod, ITP Boost fooler

Street Scenes chrome racing grill,05-06 Harley Davidson headlights,Undercover tonneau,Pioneer Premier 860MP,Infinity 50.5cs components up front,Infinity 5.75cf's in rear,2 JL 12w3v2's behind rear seat,JL 500.1,JL 300.4, lots of ear plugs.XM Satellite Radio. 35% tint up front and 5% over the factory tint in back(No peeking). 10.4" flip down screen with DVD in custom overhead console.Clifford RSX 3.5 Alarm/Remote start
FYRDOC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2006, 01:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yep, they are one and a half DIN. 05 is double. There are many poste about this subject including guidlines with pictures as far as I can remember. To my knowledge there was somebody installing an Eclipse. Search for "radio" some time backwards.

Jim

2007 Suburban LT3
2007 Yukon XL Denali

2005 F250 PSD 4x4 CC LB KR
pictures
JimJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2006, 06:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

If it is only 1 1/2 DIN, is there a kit out there that will allow me to use the 1/2 DIN part for a 1/2 DIN crossover? All of the ones I have seen include a non-removeable pocket as part of the install kit.
Banks BHA
2" drop shackles

1992 Ford Mustang LX 5.0
1989 Ford Ranger XLT
1986 Merkur XR4Ti
WhiteLX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2006, 02:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

Hi WhiteLX,

I am sorry not to remember exactly but the guy had to cut out some part out of the dashboard. It was a kind of one way mod.

Jim

2007 Suburban LT3
2007 Yukon XL Denali

2005 F250 PSD 4x4 CC LB KR
pictures
JimJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2009, 11:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

I am about to install a panasonic 2-din in my '01 F-350. I have done much research and found that this unit being a full 2-din unit will fit with a bit of trimming on the top and bottom of the opening. I will post the pictures when I do this. Install requirements say to plug in pink speed pulse cable into the ECU. Any Idea where this is and which wire?
xRmeAv8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2009, 05:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Wow, learn something new every day........."double din deck". Never heard of it. Thought it had something to do with a camper when I read the thread title.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRmeAv8r View Post
I am about to install a panasonic 2-din in my '01 F-350. I have done much research and found that this unit being a full 2-din unit will fit with a bit of trimming on the top and bottom of the opening. I will post the pictures when I do this. Install requirements say to plug in pink speed pulse cable into the ECU. Any Idea where this is and which wire?
Yeah I think it was a green with orange dashes over near the passenger side kick panel.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

2-DIN Installation on 99-04 F-250, F-350

Ok All Finished the project yesterday and am pleased to say I am triumphant. I will attemt to walk you through this project step by step so you don't make any mistakes I've made or could have made.

1. Get prepared. This project took me about a month to put together because of all of the additional things needed to put it in.
Stuff you'll need:
2-Din head unit (your choice)
Wiring harness for the truck. This fits the existing harness so no need to cut wires. I bought this a the local store that sold car stereo's (Part # 70-1771 made by Metra Electronics. Metraonline.com)
You'll need a new mounting kit which comes with a trim ring and hardware. Bought mine on eBay for a few bucks and worked perfectly. Part # FM-K552
I also picked up some accessories like XM adaptor and a back-up camera (all optional)

Put the two harness together at the kitchen table. It's easier than doing it in the truck.
Step two: don't be fooled when the installation manual says step 1: disconnect battery. Step one is: turn key on and remove all CD's from current stereo before you take away power.
Next, disconnect battery (important due to ding, ding, ding of door ajar (very annoying!))

Now, go get a clothes hangar and cut the hook off. Make two U shaped pieces with ends about 1 1/2" apart

Insert these tools into the each side of the stereo and gently push them apart and slowly pull the unit. It should slide out (with a bit of help)

Disconnect the antenna and unclip the harness.

take a screwdriver and gently pry out the headlight controller/dimmer from the bottom and disconnect the harness.

Now, gently pull the entire dash cap aft. It should pop off from the top and a few clips holding on the bottom.

After it's loose, disconnect the 4WD harness, Airbag and ACC harnesses.

Remove fuse panel cover for easy access to wiring.

After the cap is off, you notice there is a lip around the stereo opening of about 1/4". This is what makes it a 1 1/2" DIN instead of a true 2-DIN.

Get a small cut off tool (I used a Dremel) and loose both the top and the bottom pieces. Leave the sides. (I had to file the sides a bit to fit the new mounting brackets) Once this is done, you may now dry fit the stereo in the opening to see what it will look like and remove.

Plug in the harness you built and you may plug in the stereo to test it prior to reassembly. (don't forget the battery) Kind of a pain to put it all back together and find out you missed something

Disconnect battery

Now is a good time to wire all of the accessories and and such.

Note: I did find that if you just ground the wire reserved for "side brake" the DVD works all of the time. (Not recommended....Just say'n)

The last part is just a reversal of these steps.

Hope this helps everyone.

Send me a PM if you have any other questions. Glad I could help!
Attached Thumbnails
Double DIN deck in 01 F250?-100_3504.jpg   Double DIN deck in 01 F250?-100_3507.jpg   Double DIN deck in 01 F250?-100_3512.jpg   Double DIN deck in 01 F250?-100_3513.jpg   Double DIN deck in 01 F250?-100_3518.jpg  

Old 01-11-2010, 10:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quick add-on to the previous thread......

Don't forget to remove the screws above the old stereo....cracks the dash if you don't remove them first. Second. The new trim bezzle clips in without anything else. You may have to file the sides to fit but bottom line is that i fit'z ok
Old 11-26-2010, 09:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

Mounting kit

Thanks very much for sharing your lessons learned. I have looked for the mounting kit and can only find one that has a cross piece horizontally in the middle designed for turning the opening into two x single DIN openings.

Is this the correct part, and then you just cut out that cross piece?

I have an early '99 F250 Super Duty.

Thanks - Geoff
hbkcs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

That's the one. Just clip and file the middle piece and your done. By the way, I had to put the mounting brackets as far aft as I could to eliminate interference from the tilting front panel.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:13 AM   #13 (permalink)

xRmeAv8r did u have to cut the dash at all?
Mitch350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 06:27 AM   #14 (permalink)

i fail to see the issues with this? i installed a pioneer avic d3 in less than an hour. including bluetooth, gps and satellite antenna.

radio
trim kit
wire harness.
whats the confusion?
Anthony k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2010, 09:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

me too ... i installed a pioneer avic in my early 99 f250 ... minimal trimming with my dremel tool. "looks factory"
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.