The Diesel Stop banner

Easy General Questions 6.0L/ 7.3L

3K views 24 replies 4 participants last post by  NOSPARKPLUGZ 
#1 ·
Just want to see what YOU guys think for these questions, maybe I had the wrong idea my whole life lol!

1. How long to wait before driving your truck normally EOT temp wise?

2. Is it OK to rev the truck in park that is not COLD but sort of cool not warm side yet? Does this help warm up and not HELP at all?

3. When you drive your truck cold if you do, do you baby it or drive it NOT hard but normal, and accelerate hard sometimes in traffic etc?

4. Is it safe to floor your truck if warm? How about if Miley cool, or cold?

Thanks !! All are just general questions.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
Easy General Questions 6.0/ 7.3

With my 7.3, i start the truck, wait 1 or 2 min and start driving. I try never pass the 2k rpm until warm.

Rev it went cold, i use high idle often but never over 1500rpm for quicker warm up

That's just me lol

#3 ·
With my 7.3, i start the truck, wait 1 or 2 min and start driving. I try never pass the 2k rpm until warm.

Rev it went cold, i use high idle often but never over 1500rpm for quicker warm up

That's just me lol

So it's ok to rev when cold to me it's like the same thing to floor it in drive when cold which would be bad right? Or not?

#4 ·
#5 ·
Personally I wouldn't floor it cold. 2000rpm under load and 1500rpm no load are my max when cold. But that just me....

My high idle is set at 1200rpm and have no problem warming the truck quickly

140-150 EOT is where i start to be a bit more aggressive with the pedal (if i have to)

Reactions: NOSPARKPLUGZ
#6 ·
#7 · (Edited)
I set my truck to idle at 725 rpm for my 6oh is that safe? It sounds safe it drops to like 690-710 in drive and sometimes in park goes up to 850 and drops slowly back down to 725 is this safe and normal? I set it with Sct Vivian opened user options for me on my custom tune.

Finally does every bodies truck shake and sound a little a shut off key off?

#8 ·
#9 ·
I thought a higher idle would help warmup now just want it back stock and install the hi idle mod.... Stupid me...

#10 ·
#11 ·
Got it back to regular idle speed, and the auto high idle feature is working again and boy am I relieved.... Woooo so happy!

Reactions: ArcticDriver
#12 ·
#13 ·
i revved the truck once quickly today after 3 mins running EOT was 75*. I probably wont do it again because I felt guilty after lol. But if should be fine right after that i drove it and EOT max was 158*. It shouldnt hurt her none right? Also in theory would my 7.3 be under the factory 100k mile warranty for the engine only at 87k. I do realize it would have to be stock and yeah i can make that happen haha. Just let me know someone! Thanks

#14 ·
No, because warranty is also limited to 5 years.

#19 ·
#20 ·
#21 · (Edited)

#23 ·
When should I pass 2k rpm I would say at 110 not hard or regular driving till 135? What's up to temp on these guys? The most I got mine up to was 175? Lmk

#24 ·
#25 ·
No prob! I dont start regular/ harder drivving till 138ish haha so 140. I did driive it regualr at 115 before, and reved it at 75 which i wont do again. I guess once or twice shouldnt hurt her tho. I not making it a habit, i stick to 130-140 for regular driving now.:grin2:

Reactions: yan7gin
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.