The Diesel Stop banner

Engine (7.3L) hiccups or stalls when OBD2 interface connected.

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  mnpowerstroke99.5 
#1 ·
I would love to know why whenever I connect my laptop to the truck the engine stalls and wont restart until I keyoff then back on, or sometimes it just hiccups a bit and keeps running. It is the truck in my sig.

The purpose for connecting my laptop is just to look around, pull codes, etc... I am using PCMScan (i know it wont pull all of the powerstroke specific stuff) with an ELM327 type interface. I normally connect my laptop to any vehicle for datalogging and stuff like that (which I would LOVE to find different software for this)

2 things happen when I connect:

1) when the engine is warm and idling if I go to the software and press connect to bring the ODB2 interface online it sounds like the truck "forgets" to feed the engine with fuel, much like if i was shutting the engine off. It will pick back up a second later and tach up a bit to compensate for the lack of RPM because it forgot to feed the engine.

2) so far this only happened when cold, basically the same thing as #1 happened but instead of picking back up the engine stalled, check engine light turned on, ODB2 appeared to be connected, and when I try to restart the engine, it just cranks and cranks, never turns over. I had to turn the key to off then try to start it again, it fired right up.

both of these are reproducible and they are rather bothersome. What I think is happening is there is something wrong with some module that cant handle controlling the injectors and communicating with my laptop at the same time.

What do you guys think? what software do you guys use for simple diagnostics or data logging? I would love to get my hands on auto enginuity but I cant justify the cost.

See less See more
#2 ·
:bump:

#3 ·
nobody?

#4 ·
OBDII scan issue unexplained

I have and do Experience the same OBDII hiccup issues on my 2001 F-350 7.3l diesel. My sons 1999 F350 7.3l diesel. And every other 7.3l diesel I have ever connected to as well. From my vantage point it would seem that it is a common problem with 7.3l diesels. Then earlier this year, I experienced it with my sons F-150 gasser as well. It is now obviously to me, it is a Ford issue.

#5 ·
I use the ELM327 with dash command and torque pro and never ad any issue.... I would guess it might be your ELM adapter that is in fault... did you try another one?

#6 ·
Or you need to play with the settings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I've had the same issue with my code reader and the ELM327 on my '99 7.3. Must be a fairly common problem. Mine won't start until I unplug it from the OBD port.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.