Exhaust Back Pressure Valve - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2007, 05:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust Back Pressure Valve

Is it normal for the Exhaust Back Pressure Valve to operate once I start driving the truck (after it's been warming up for 10 min.)? I could still hear the hissing this morning as I was driving to work, but it seemd to stop halfway there. I also noticed it when I went out at lunch today. It was 13deg this morning and probably low 20's at lunchtime.
This might be a very basic question, but it's my first winter with a diesel and I just want to make sure that all the different sounds I'm hearing are normal.

Thanks all,
Peter
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2007, 05:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Exhaust Back Pressure Valve

hey pete everything sounds normal to me.. if you had straight exhaust you'd want to unplug it for sure.. mine was singing this am too. here in westport it was 11' this morning
early 99 F250 cc 4x4 auto.. gages on the pillar, tymar intake, 5" MBRP exhaust, dp tunner 60,80,120, 30 gallon gravity feed aux. fuel tank, putco chrome on all handles and mirrors, GOS racing headlight harness, clear headlight and corners, accetone badges, blue ovals pelled, zoodad mod
paytontag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2007, 06:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hey tags37, I'm in Somerset. I work in Dartmouth and I was probably close to Westport by the time it started to sound normal. What do you mean by unplugging it? I don't have factory exhaust, and when it sings, it's wicked loud!
Old 01-17-2007, 06:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ritschner

The exhaust back pressure valve is triggered by oil temperature. If the oil temp is below about fifty degrees the valve will close during light throttle. You can split one of the wires and splice in a switch, which will allow you to manually overide and allow the valve to open. It will set a code but no check engine light. I did this on my early 99, I would run it about two miles on a twelve mile morning commute and then switch the valve open. It recovered the two MPG I lost during cold weather driving.
White 06 F350 Lariet CC 2WD DRW Tow Boss, Timbren SES, Bilsteins, Smiths Ultimate Bedliner, RK Tool Box, CondensorGuard, IntakeMod, S&B Intake, SEIC, Banks 4"TB, Accufab, Edge Attitude CS, Blue Spring Mod, Rebuilt FICM, STC and Standpipe update, Harpoon Mod, Coolant Filter, Glove Box Light, Hood Insulator, Rewired Mirror Heat, Seat Heater Indicator.
ritschner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2007, 07:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

pete.. the plug is at the base of the turbo housing its the only plug down there but is a little hard to find..
early 99 F250 cc 4x4 auto.. gages on the pillar, tymar intake, 5" MBRP exhaust, dp tunner 60,80,120, 30 gallon gravity feed aux. fuel tank, putco chrome on all handles and mirrors, GOS racing headlight harness, clear headlight and corners, accetone badges, blue ovals pelled, zoodad mod
Old 01-17-2007, 07:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

I unplugged mine at the sensor on the front of the motor to get it to stop hissing NON stop in below freezing temps. Above freezing it seems to be normal but when below the damn thing was on literally all the time.

Does it matter which one you unhook? The sensor or the connector back by the valve itself?
Mag-Hytec trans pan, 08 Diff cover.
2" leveling kit. RS9000 Shocks. B&W Turnover Ball/ Companion Hitch. Airlift 5000 airbags.
LineX, 20% tint, Weathertech liners.

2012 Heartland Sundance 3100RB 5th wheel. 36' @ 12k pounds.
468LC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2007, 08:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

not thinking so.. i believe that some were getting ses lights on when the front plug was unpluged

does your truck still go to high idle when its cold?
Old 01-17-2007, 08:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

I ran the thing with a dead sensor for 3 years and never had the SES light on. All it did was store a code in the computer.

Yes it still goes to high idle when it is cold out.
Mag-Hytec trans pan, 08 Diff cover.
2" leveling kit. RS9000 Shocks. B&W Turnover Ball/ Companion Hitch. Airlift 5000 airbags.
LineX, 20% tint, Weathertech liners.

2012 Heartland Sundance 3100RB 5th wheel. 36' @ 12k pounds.
468LC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2007, 08:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

still goes to high idle.. cool i'm unpluging mine tomorrow. i wasnt sure if it would still kick up with it unpluged.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Where is the sensor on the front of the motor? Think I might give it a try tomorrow too.....
468LC, how did the new 05/6 front end install? Is it a simple bolt-on procedure? I love the new grills, yours looks great.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.