F550 parking brake adjustment - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2009, 11:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F550 parking brake adjustment

How do I adjust the parking brake on an 01 F550 dual rear on a Dana 135 axle? It has disc brakes, and I can't find any rubber plug on the backing plate hiding a star head bolt as mentioned in some threads. Pictures if possible. Thanks
2001 F550 7.3PS CC 4X4 Lariat Custom Flatbed, AIH delete, Stancor GPR, 6637 w/ battery box delete, zoodad mod, A/C mod, overhead console fix, dual Optima red tops, Amsoil dual bypass, CCV mod, NRA sticker, Superchip gold. 15.5 mpg hwy empty. 10.5 mpg hwy towing 10k 5thr.

1990 F250 Ext-cab 4X4 7.3 IDI Banks Turbo, Monster exh, custom intake, manual GPR, Pyro/boost, overhead console, Bronco capt chairs, doorseal mod, Linex bed, Amsoil dual bypass, "former" centurion model, 4.10, should sell it, anyone interested?

Read The Patriot -- It's Right. It's Free.
http://patriotpost.us/subscribe.php

Last edited by IDIBoltBucket; 05-12-2009 at 12:23 PM.
IDIBoltBucket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2009, 06:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
Check your gmail e-mail account. I sent you a Word doc with the procedure - including an illustration - from the workshop manual.

But basically, unless your F-550 is a motorhome, then you have the same parking brake as an F-250. There is a rubber plug on the back of the hub. Remove that plug to access the "star" adjuster.

On a 2001 that "rubber" plug is probably hard and stiff and dirty and doesn't look anything like rubber. But it's probably there.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2009, 07:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Thanks for the help

Thanks Smokey,
I got the brakes adjusted. After attempting it with all sorts of screwdrivers, I bought a brake spoon adjustment tool for $6.50 and it worked great. Turning the star wheel counterclockwise (looking from the front of the vehicle) tightened the pads.
2001 F550 7.3PS CC 4X4 Lariat Custom Flatbed, AIH delete, Stancor GPR, 6637 w/ battery box delete, zoodad mod, A/C mod, overhead console fix, dual Optima red tops, Amsoil dual bypass, CCV mod, NRA sticker, Superchip gold. 15.5 mpg hwy empty. 10.5 mpg hwy towing 10k 5thr.

1990 F250 Ext-cab 4X4 7.3 IDI Banks Turbo, Monster exh, custom intake, manual GPR, Pyro/boost, overhead console, Bronco capt chairs, doorseal mod, Linex bed, Amsoil dual bypass, "former" centurion model, 4.10, should sell it, anyone interested?

Read The Patriot -- It's Right. It's Free.
http://patriotpost.us/subscribe.php
IDIBoltBucket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.