Front Axle Seal Replacement - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2007, 09:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front Axle Seal Replacement

The driver's side front axle tube seal/dust boot needs replacing. The outer rubber part has separated from the inner part that is on the output yoke on the driver's side. It appears that you can take off the caliper, caliper bracket, rotor, and four nuts holding the hubassembly to the steering knuckle, and then the whole hub assembly with the u-joints and yoke will slide out of the axle tube so that the seal/dust boot can be replaced. Am I correct on this? Also, what are the torque values on the caliper bracket bolts and 4 hubassembly retaining nuts? Finally, what is the part number for the seal?

Thanks in advance for assistance.
Black/05/F350/XLT/CC/LWB/FX4/SRW/3.73/6.0L PSD/ TorqShift/Updated TBC/Upfitter Switches/SEIC Mod/Diesel Site Coolant Filter/Fumoto Valve/ITEC HFCM Drain Plug/Bilstein Shocks/BFG A/T 28565R18/Built September of 2004

Texas Proud.
God Bless our Armed Forces.
Black05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2007, 10:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (38)
Re: Front Axle Seal Replacement

Ummmm... Why bother replacing that dust seal? It doesn't really stop anything, and there is a much larger "seal" deeper in the tube that guides the axleshaft into the differential...
Old 09-24-2007, 02:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Greg -- Thanks for the advice. I had reached the same conclusion after looking at an exploded diagram of the front differential. It appears that the seal (#1175) is down in the axle tube butted up against a collar on the shaft. Would you recommend cleaning out the space between the yoke and internal seal to get whatever dust and debris accumulates, or is this unnecessary?

I also understand that you cannot replace just the dust boot -- it is part of the entire axle assembly (which is a bit pricey).
Black/05/F350/XLT/CC/LWB/FX4/SRW/3.73/6.0L PSD/ TorqShift/Updated TBC/Upfitter Switches/SEIC Mod/Diesel Site Coolant Filter/Fumoto Valve/ITEC HFCM Drain Plug/Bilstein Shocks/BFG A/T 28565R18/Built September of 2004

Texas Proud.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

You can get just the dust boot, but like Greg said, it only keeps dirt out... not fluid in. Incase you don't know what you may be getting into, the differential needs to be removed from the axle to get the seals out... at which time you could pressure wash the oil out of the tube if you so desire.
Ford Senior/Master/Diesel Technician in the Greater Toronto Area. Contact me for help getting your vehicle serviced. Do not contact me with anything pertaining to performance modifications. Proud to be a member of Ford Doctors Diesel Technician Society.
alexb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2007, 09:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Alexb -- I would have thought you could have gotten the dust boot separately, but it's not the case. The Ford parts diagram for the front differential shows this as part of the axle shaft assembly -- not a separate part. My local auto parts shop showed no listing for it.

Texas Proud.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

You can replace the dust seal. Here is a an excerpt from an article on this site.

"First you will need to replace the two seals on the axle shaft. The larger is on the outside and is Ford part number F81Z-3254-CB and will cost about $30.00. The smaller one is a dust seal on the inside and is Ford part number F81Z-1S175-HCA, around $15.00. I also found the smaller one is made by National and is part number 710413 at Car Quest, around $7.84. Picture The inside small dust seal can be easily installed by hand. The large outside main seal will require a little more ingenuity."

The entire article

Pics

'Everything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about'
LOOSEWHEEL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2007, 01:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Loosewheel -- I had seen this article before. Per the exploded front differential diagram that I got form Ford, the front axle on my 05 is slightly different and has a collar pressed onto the shaft at the half way point (this is for the internal seal to butt up against). There would be no way to get the dust boot over this collar and up to the yoke without tearing up the boot. The Ford parts guy told me that the boot is sold with the new axle shaft as a unit, not separately. The internal seal (#1175 on the diagram) is serviceable separately.

Texas Proud.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

Hmmm... I guess yours must be different than the hundreds of axle seals that I've replaced on mono-beams. That "collar" you speak of, is there to help keep the end of the axle up to guide it into the differential case. It can be removed... infact, I don't recall it being pressed on, sometimes they fall off in the tube when you're pulling the axle out... I replace the dust boots on every axle seal job I do.
Ford Senior/Master/Diesel Technician in the Greater Toronto Area. Contact me for help getting your vehicle serviced. Do not contact me with anything pertaining to performance modifications. Proud to be a member of Ford Doctors Diesel Technician Society.
alexb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2007, 09:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

Alexb -- If your correct, then it appears I got some bad information.

Texas Proud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.