front wheel studs breaking off - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2005, 07:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
front wheel studs breaking off

For the last 90,000 or so miles my truck has been eating front wheel studs. It will break anywhere between 1 to 3 at a time, always next to each other. This happens on both front wheels. I've replaced all the studs with new ones a couple of times already. It doesn't matter if I use studs from Ford or the local parts house. I swapped wheels from side to side and tried another set of wheels. The wheels are always torqued to specs and the local Ford service manager just scratches his head in amazement. This is driving me nuts not to mention what could happen if I were to not catch a couple of broken ones before I lost the wheel.
Anyone else ever had any trouble like this?
"Early" '99, 4-98, F350 2WD CC DRW Lariat, Diablo tuner, Swamps 20* HPOP, 4" turbo back straight pipe & a 5" tip, S&B 12" open element air filter, CCV mod, EBV gutted, Vedder's built 4R100 with triple disk convertor, 6.0 trans cooler, Dfuser T/C lockup mod, DieselSite coolant filter, DieselSite TurboMaster, ITP reg fuel return, 4:10 gear w/lmtd slip,Centramatics, Western Diesel gauges, AIC, Ride Rite air bags & onboard compressor kit, Super-Vu convex mirrors, R.D.S. 91 gal. diamond plate aux fuel tank & toolbox combo, B&W gooseneck & 18K companion 5th wheel setup, Rhino lined, Drawtite 1,000lb leveler bars, Drawtite Activator II, Brown's Welding shop (New Braunfels,Tx)full grill/bumper/headlight guard, TurboNet V-Gate.

508,058 miles and still strokin'.

BioDiesel:
Feed a farmer, starve a terrorist.

N.R.A. Life Member
ProDriver18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2005, 09:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Re: front wheel studs breaking off

What are you torquing the wheel nuts to?
GrampyJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2005, 10:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Actually at different times they have been torqued at 110, 115 and 120 ft lbs. It doesn't make any difference what they are at, they still break off while driving.
I tow almost daily with this truck for a living but it's not overloaded by any means. I don't jump curbs or small vehicles with it either [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. I'm getting tired of changing wheel studs in truckstop parking lots and rest areas and I'm at a loss as to what is causing this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
"Early" '99, 4-98, F350 2WD CC DRW Lariat, Diablo tuner, Swamps 20* HPOP, 4" turbo back straight pipe & a 5" tip, S&B 12" open element air filter, CCV mod, EBV gutted, Vedder's built 4R100 with triple disk convertor, 6.0 trans cooler, Dfuser T/C lockup mod, DieselSite coolant filter, DieselSite TurboMaster, ITP reg fuel return, 4:10 gear w/lmtd slip,Centramatics, Western Diesel gauges, AIC, Ride Rite air bags & onboard compressor kit, Super-Vu convex mirrors, R.D.S. 91 gal. diamond plate aux fuel tank & toolbox combo, B&W gooseneck & 18K companion 5th wheel setup, Rhino lined, Drawtite 1,000lb leveler bars, Drawtite Activator II, Brown's Welding shop (New Braunfels,Tx)full grill/bumper/headlight guard, TurboNet V-Gate.

BioDiesel:

N.R.A. Life Member
Old 08-25-2005, 10:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (21)

Try taking em up to the recommended torque spec of 165 and see how it goes.

O

02/03 built F350 6L, DRW, 05 Grille , 4" DPPI Exhaust, UltraLites on the A Pillar and Overhead Console, Firestone Bags & Compressor, Hadley Bully Airhorns , 50 Gallon Transfer Flow, Racho 9000's, Leveled 2.5/0, In-Dash PC , XM Commander.
Photos
ozhoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2005, 09:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

165? Hmm, two different Ford dealers said 110 ft lbs is factory spec for this. My local tire shop manager uses All-Data something or other program and said to go with 120 ft lbs. Both figures seemed kinda low to me but all 3 guys showed me in black and white where they came up with the specs. I don't know, I just know it's driving me crazy trying to keep studs in the front wheels.

BioDiesel:

N.R.A. Life Member
Old 08-26-2005, 09:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)

Ford sent out a bulletin to owners with a new tire changing placard showing the new lug nut torque and installation procedure (a drop of oil between the nut and the washer), probably back in 00 or 01.

Changed the torque to 165 ft-lb.

Have the dealers look closer. I'm sure they must have gotten a notice as well.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2005, 04:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

110 is for 12mm studs.... your SD has 14mm. FWIW, 14mm studs on the half ton get 140ish ft/lbs.

FWIW, you have two Ford dealers to avoid, a tire shop to avoid and anyone using "someData" to avoid.... The learning curve is never-ending...
Old 08-27-2005, 06:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)

I don't have the actual message, but below is I believe the actual OASIS BROADCAST MESSAGE....

[ QUOTE ]
3952 ANNOUNCING SPECIAL FIELD ACTION 02L11 ON THE WEB

SPECIAL FIELD ACTION 02L11: CERTAIN 1999 THROUGH 2002 MODEL YEAR F-SUPER DUTY VEHICLES, 1999 THROUGH 2002 F-53 STRIPPED CHASSIS VEHICLES AND 2000 THROUGH 2003 EXCURSION VEHICLES - WHEEL LUG NUT TORQUE SPECIFICATION AND PROCEDURE LABEL
THE DEALER BULLETIN FOR THE SUBJECT FIELD SERVICE ACTION HAS BEEN POSTED TO THE FCSD COMMUNICATOR WEBSITE (QCDEALER.COM) AT THE FOLLOWING URL ADDRESS:
HTTP://WWW.QCDEALER.COM

[/ QUOTE ]

from <font color="red">HERE</font>

and on page 190 from the 2003 owners guide <font color="red"> HERE</font> it clearly state the torque to be 150 to 165lb-ft and those in the know say to use the 165 figure. That page also give the procedures for lubricating the fastener and retorquing procedures which should be applicable I would think to your 99. Even my Van with the more forgiving conical seat fastening system requires 140lb-ft.

Larry
2001PSD(PCM:HPI2)SD E-350,Dk Emerald Grn,4.10LS, <font color="blue">Mustang dyno - 183.9/400.4 stock</font> [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], BTS w/Schaeffer's ATF[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] , ITP 3.5"/4" exhaust w/Magnaflow & Aeroturbine,Dieselsite 203* T-stat/Zerex G-05,F.Pwr, Ext/Int. Upgd. pkg,R. Bds,AIC,Tow Pkg, Rear & Slider windows,<font color="red">AMSOIL air, oil-bypass & rear end 75w-140 fluid ,<font color="blue">3/8" fuel sys w/10 Dieselsite DAHL100 & fuel manifold/sight glass</font>,6 way dr. pwr. seat, Magnefine trans/P.S. filters</font>, husky mats,<font color="red">5 gauge A-pillar ISSPRO EVs w/Grn mkr illum. + air & fuel restriction gauges</font>,Dieselsite coolant filter and zinc electrode, manual GPR switch & GP LED, blinking security LED, weathertechs, a few other "Gadgets" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], & a 1981 26' Prowler TT(26Y)
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2005, 09:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks guys, getting ready to go talk with these managers right now.
BTW, I've never broken any on the rear wheels, it's always been on the front wheels. Maybe the duals are absorbing some of the shock from bumps, chuckholes or whatever?

BioDiesel:

N.R.A. Life Member
Old 08-27-2005, 10:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (44)

As Kevin mentioned, back in '01 Ford sent me a big "recall" pkg with a new laminated placard to keep with the jack and tire-changing tools. They also told me to make a pen-and-ink change to my Owner's Guide. It said to torque my lugbolts to 165 lb-ft. And the Wordshop manual changed to say the same thing.

2001 F-Super Duty/Excursion Workshop Manual
SECTION 204-04: Wheels And Tires

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>

Torque Specifications
Description Nm lb-ft
8-Lug M14 wheel bolts 210 155
Spare tire carrier bolts 20 15
8-Lug M14 wheel bolts (loaded vehicle) 224 165
</pre><hr />

Ford will win no prizes for technical writing, but I'm pretty sure that says if you haul more than a toothbrush in your truck or tow more than a rowboat, then you should torque the lugnuts to 165 lb-ft.

In your case, I suspect the lugbolts are not breaking because of the 120 lb-ft torque. Instead, the lugnuts are coming loose because of not enough torque, then the bolt breaks because you have zero torque on the lugnut.

Before the "recall", my '99 Owner's Guide said 140 lb-ft. Ford soon found out that wasn't enough and issued the recall to raise it to 165 lb-ft. So your 120 lb-ft is definitely not enough.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2005, 01:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (10)

How are the tires wearing? I had this same problem on a 94 F350, and it turned both tires were toed out, and it was putting alot of stress on the lug nuts. Maybe an alignment is in order.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

I am going to suggest you have someone check the mounting surface of the wheel for flatness. If the wheel mounting surface on the rotor &amp; hub is not flat, then there is a slight possibility that the torqueing of the wheel onto that hub &amp; rotor is createng stress load to the studs in question &amp; contributing to their failure.
Since you have checked the whell torque many times &amp; at many different rates I do not believe torque is your problem.
BTW I have the same vehicle you have &amp; I have the torque at 110 tp 120 ftlbs since I have owned the vehicle &amp; I have never had a stud break. I also pull a 38ft 5ver &amp; have been doing it for over 140,000 miles.
I still think it is in the mounting area, rim or hub &amp; rotor.
BTW do you have aluminum rims or steel? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

Reg
Old 08-28-2005, 10:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

It's been a busy weekend, first chance I've had to reply.

Tire wear is really good, 76,500 on the current set of tires with 7/32s left to go and they are worn even and flat all the way across.
I've tried different wheels and have swapped them side to side several times when I had the rotate and balance done. It's not finicky, it'll break studs on either side and sometimes both sides at once. Everything has been visually inspected several times. The rotors are not warped so I'm running these hubs as long as I can.
All this seemed to start at around 280,000 to 285,000 miles but I don't remember anything that happened around then that may have caused it. Before that I never had a single problem with them at all.
One dealer suggested that because I have aluminum wheels that I should stop and have the torque checked every 500 miles. Yeah right, I'm sure every aluminum wheeled truck owner does that right? Not to mention that when I'm out working I put 700-800 miles on this thing everyday.
Now the wheels are torqued to 150 ft lbs. That is because I don't have a torque wrench that goes any higher than that....yet. The tire shop came up with a 148 ft lb figure after a phone call to yet another Ford dealer and would not tighten them any more than that. I didn't have time to get to my local dealer Saturday to talk with them.
I leave tomorrow morning (Monday) with a 5ver going to Kaysville, Ut to be delivered on Wednesday so we'll see what happens on this trip.
Thanks for all the help guys, let ya know how it went when I get back Friday.

BioDiesel:

N.R.A. Life Member
Old 08-29-2005, 10:12 AM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (44)

[ QUOTE ]
I've tried different wheels ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope your "different" wheels were Ford stock wheels. Or aftermarket wheels that meet Ford's specs exactly. Including being "hub centric" with 4.93" center bore.

If your wheels are lug centric (center bore more than 4.93"), then that's the problem.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2005, 01:09 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Ford updated the wheel torque spec in about 2003... This new spec may not have made it into every publication (for sure not seeing as many shops try to save money by updating subscriptions only every third year or so).

If you are running stock style wheel nuts, a tiny drop of oil between the washer part and the nut part is a must. If you have aftermarket wheels using tapered nuts, be sure that the stud isn't botoming in the acorn of the nut.... DAMHIKT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.