fuel gauge not registering after fill up - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation fuel gauge not registering after fill up

My truck has been sitting for about a month, I took it out to get fuel over the weekend. Gauge was reading 1/4 as i pulled into the station to fill up. Filled up and started the truck and noticed that the gauge was still reading 1/4 tank after i had just put in 21 gallons!! What could of caused this not to function? I ran it home aprox 10 miles and the gauge did start to move up slightly. Could the float be stuck inside the tank? anyone else had this problem?
PWR UP 08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2009, 08:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Did you leave the key turned on while you were filling?

Best practice to have the fuel gauge read correctly after filling up is to turn off the key while filling. I don't know the whole story, but if you do a few searchs you will find that this is discussed in several existing threads.

-Jim
9 June 2009 has 127,000 miles on it.
Mods to come later...
FryerJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2009, 08:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryerJim View Post
Did you leave the key turned on while you were filling?

Best practice to have the fuel gauge read correctly after filling up is to turn off the key while filling. I don't know the whole story, but if you do a few searchs you will find that this is discussed in several existing threads.

-Jim
As I do recall I just started filling up when I herd the key click on. My girlfriend turned the key to on but never started it, to write down the mileage so she could caculate the mpg's. Did this do any harm, I have always shut the truck off as I filled up even in the coldest winter temps.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

My understanding is that it does not do any damage. It just takes longer for the fuel gauge to realize that there is more fuel in the tank.

Hopefully someone who knows how to speed it along will chime in and let us know what you need to do.

-Jim
9 June 2009 has 127,000 miles on it.
Mods to come later...
FryerJim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2009, 11:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (14)
Won't it reset the next time you turn on the key?

Mike
140A Alternator. 125W solar panel. Sportsmobile off-road trailer.
111845 miles. 16.65 mpg average
From Cal to Alaska, Key West, Labrador/Newfoundland and points in between
Salem Kroger coil spring 4wd conversion - 4" lift
05 F350 front axle and aluminum wheels 275/70-18 tires.
46 Gal tank - harpooned pump vent tube.
Scangauge. DieselSite Coolant Filter@72K. Fumoto valve. Amsoil dual remote oil filter setup.
MikeL46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2009, 04:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL46 View Post
Won't it reset the next time you turn on the key?

Mike
I tried that already. I came home and turned it off and started it again and still the same result. The next day after work I started it again and still the same thing. I let it run for about 20 min as I went and did some work, came back to check it and it is slowly starting to move. (computers you got to love em)
Old 05-20-2009, 04:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think the sending unit starts getting sluggish if not 'exercised' frequently. I'm down to driving my truck once every couple of weeks now. I too have noticed that if I fill up every couple of months (like I've been averaging), then the guage is slow to come up to the full mark. But, if I'm on a trip where I burn through a couple of tanks of fuel quickly, the guage behaves normally. I just chalk it up to the float on the sending unit being stuck in a certain position for a long period of time. imho just my .02 cents worth

short_stuff
Y2K F250 CC PSD Auto, Short-bed Lariat, Woodland Green/Gold, ordered 07/10/99, born 09/12/99, delivered 10/08/99, Access bed cover, Bed Rug, Zoodad mod, Viper Remote Start Alarm, Fumoto valve, 125K somewhat error-free miles (so far) [never back to dealer for anything]
Repairs: CPS, Water Separator Valve assembly, rear axle bearings, VSS, batteries, brakes, alternator, serpentine belt (x2), driver door pwrlock actuator, water pump

2009 VW Tiguan 2.0 l turbo 200 hp gas engine (TDI engine not available for it yet)
short_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2009, 10:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Relax guys, this isn't that big of a deal.

If the key is on while you're filling, the sender doesn't register the increase in fuel right away. It will climb slowly until it hits the proper level.

If you shut off the truck and restart it, it still doesn't register right away. The only way I have had it register after shut off is with time. Whether the key is on, or the key is off, it takes time before your truck will register your full tank.

Dave

- Airaid intake
- MBRP Turbo-Back Exhaust
- Cross Over Fuel Line and 1/2 Banjo Bolt Mod
- Quadzilla Commander
- Zoodad Mod.
- Doorseal Mod.
- X-Springs and F-350 Blocks
- Full Traction 4.5" Hanger lift
- ProComp Add-A-Leaf and Velvet-Ride shackles
- BFG 35" All Terrains on Ultra Predator 17x10s (Hub-centric)
- Centramatics
- Timbrens
- Extang R/T Tonneau Cover
- EZ Down Tailgate Strut
- C.R. Laurence PowerSlider Rear Window
- Sirius Sat. Radio
- Polk Ex3 5x7s and 2 JL Audio 10w0s
driven by a 6 channel amp
- SCT from Innovative (WOW!!)

OH, and new heads from Ford along with an EGR Delete and Oil cooler at 195,000 miles.
DecreasingDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2009, 03:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Mine did that once and I guess it was stuck because I ran over some bumpy terrain (rail road tracks) doing about 15 mph and it came back up. As for the key position causing it to stay I have never experienced that. Lots of times I keep my truck running while filling up (south texas heat makes me want to leave the AC on) and I can sit in the truck and watch it go up as I am filling. Though it usually tops off at full as I am driving out of the station parking lot.
Black 2002 F350 XLT 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3L (build date 11-01) - Nito Trail Grappler MT 35 12.5 R18 mounted on KMC XD Monster 18x9 Wheels, 4 inch ProComp Lift w/ dual front shocks, Bilstein steering stabilizer,Red-Head Steering gear, Ranch Hand-Full replacement front/rear bumpers, Leer Camper Shell, Autometer Triple guage pillar pod with Autometer Sport Comp Pyro and boost gages, Autometer Ultra lite digital Trans temp gage, DP Tuner (60hp econo, 60hp tow, 100 hp performance) w/ in dash mounted ex switcher,Ford AIS, International bellowed up pipes, FrX, HD4r100, 6.0 cooler, Stancor GPR, Dieselsite Max cold, Viper 3000 alarm, RBP RX-3 Nerf bars

Cosmetic upgrades: 2010 Tailgate, 2011 power folding/telescoping towing mirrors,

In the works: 2009 FX4 door panels with OEM switches, OEM backup camera and LCD rear view mirror, OEM Overhead console
jposes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2009, 07:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for all the replies, I was on a trip over memorial day weekend and it took about 60 miles for it to register to full. Got fuel on the way home and it registered right away. Thanks all!
Old 05-29-2009, 10:15 PM   #11 (permalink)

Put about a quart of ATF in the fuel tank when it's low, the detergent in the ATF will help clean the fuel gauge.
99.5 F350 XLT Lariat 4X4 4R100 4.10 DW CC LB Centurion conversion Garret Turbo, Radio SD &Tape, SP Performance 40-60-80 chip, 100 Gal.Transfer Flow W/Trimax Control Aux. fuel tank. ScanGaugeII, Boost, EGT, Trans. Temp. Oil Temp. Build date 03/99

92 F350 7.3 IDIT E4OD CC LB dually Banks turbo US Gear O/U

Have AutoEnginuity W/Ford enhanced. Lima OH area.

My mind works lightening fast.
One Flash and it's gone forever.
Bill1013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2009, 04:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (29)
My truck did the same thing today. I always leave my truck running when I fill it up, especially during the summer to keep the A/C going. I drive my truck every day, so no old fuel.
The gauge was moving up and then stopped and dropped to empty. I shut it off and started again, still nothing. I am going to see how it does for the next couple of days.

2002 F250 CC, 4X4 - Sold
2004 F350 CC, FX4, loaded - Sold
2006 F350 CC, DRW, FX4 - Sold
lincster is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2009, 06:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

Does the fuel gauge go hand in hand with the famous "bad clusters" that are found in the psd?
KevinTamu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2009, 11:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (29)
So my fuel gauge started working again tonight. But it was on E long enough that my check engine light came on. Stopped at Auto Zone, checked the codes, it says I had insufficient fuel data..... Duh, so that lines up with my gauge not working.

My question is, will the check engine light clear itself after 5 or 10 starts? Or do I have to go pay the dealer to clear it? Thx.

2002 F250 CC, 4X4 - Sold
2004 F350 CC, FX4, loaded - Sold
2006 F350 CC, DRW, FX4 - Sold
lincster is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2009, 02:56 AM   #15 (permalink)

My truck has been doing this since new in 2003! It is hit/miss. Sometimes it shows full right away, sometimes it takes a few hours, it's event taken over 24 hours a few times. There is no pattern whether the key is on, off, engining running, hot, cold, tap the hose three times before putting the nozzle away like it used the urinal, rub my rabbits foot, throw salt over my shoulder, or knock on the synthetic wood accents in the door. NOTHING seems to work and it is completely random! I even have a new fuel sender, that cost $900 to install at the dealer. =( I've learned to trust the miles to go gauge on the roof console. It has never let me down. Now If I could only stop from walking under ladders with my black cat who likes to break mirrors. Hmmmm.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.