Gem Modual - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 06:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gem Modual

Do 2002 have aq Gem modual and if so were is it located? Im having a bunch of electric problems.

thanks mike
2002 f250 7.3 lariet cc auto srw short bed 3.73 gears,16k reese slide hitch,reese brake controller,banks 4inch monster exhaust,autometer lunar guages tranny,boost,egt.aFe air box,sonnax valve and tri springs,magnefine,factory aic,led lights in running boards,TS 4pos chip,DR 4.5 lift
03 tt heated/signal mirrors,wicked wheel
94 Pace Arrow 33L Class A P30 454
04 custom ridgid chopper 120RWHP
http://community.webshots.com/user/oneHD
HDone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2009, 10:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
The generic electrical module (gem) is secured (bolted) to the top of the fuse box in the cab. It first appears to be part of the fuse box, but it is a removable top portion of the fuse box. I find it easier to remove the fuse box when replacing the gem. You will need to down load the configuration information from the old gem prior to programming the new module. You’ll need a Ford IDS (Ford Integrated Diagnostic System) to perform this task.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

hdone,

If you have a '02 then you do NOT have a GEM you have a VSM (Vehical Security Module). Pull out your radio. The VSM is mounted on the fire wall behind the radio. Black box about 3" x 5'' with 3 electrical plugs. Still not to hard to get to but you will need small hands.

If you check with ford the VSM will set you back about $120 BUT you will have to have it reprogramed by the dealer for about $140 more ! (that was the cost for fixing my '02)

Mark

'02 CC DRW Lariat 7.3 Auto
gp49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2009, 05:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Mark is correct, in 2002 the GEM was no longer used and it's functions were split up by three seperate modules: the instrument cluster (IC) the vehicle security module (VSM) and in 4X4 equipped truck, the 4X4 module.
Diesel Mentor Directory
ford_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2009, 09:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ok thanks guys. My door locks go up and down for no reason,the horn blows and the flashers. Does this sound like its the VSM? If so were can I get one and will Ford program it if I dont get it from them??
2002 f250 7.3 lariet cc auto srw short bed 3.73 gears,16k reese slide hitch,reese brake controller,banks 4inch monster exhaust,autometer lunar guages tranny,boost,egt.aFe air box,sonnax valve and tri springs,magnefine,factory aic,led lights in running boards,TS 4pos chip,DR 4.5 lift
Old 11-10-2009, 12:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

The symptoms you report are functions of the VSM IF the truck is equipped with keyless entry. The module will require programming/configuring which can only be done with Ford diagnostic equipment to the best of my knowledge.
Diesel Mentor Directory
ford_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2009, 04:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks Ford Dr. Should I be seeing any codes with this problem? I just got my dash apart. That thing is a PITA to get to. Also when you say keyless entry is this with the number keypad? Mine has key entry or the fob no keypad.

Last edited by HDone; 11-10-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

hdone,

to remove the VSM, remove the center dash/radio. The unit itself is attached with 2 bolts/screws. The one on the right is a PITA. What I did on my truck is to reroute the VSM so it's just hanging down on the tranny tunnel and drove to the dealer with the new VSM sitting on the passanger seat in the box. The tech just swapped it and programed it using the buildsheet I had with me. (they usually download this info from the old VSM - mine was totally fried) If you don't have a buildsheet the service guy can/needs to print one from their computer.

Mark

ps. There was no error codes stored in the system...the original problem on my truck was: auto headlights not working, inside dome lights working sometime, radio would stay on after engine off and door open, doors locks not working properly with my remotes....

pss. I just looked at the wiring digrams for the '02 and flashers, horn and doors are all somehow interconnected thru the VSM. I'm no expert but I would say you are on the right track.

Last edited by gp49; 11-10-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

Mark were did you purchase your VCM?

Thanks Mike

I have not driven my truck in about 8months and now that you told me your problems you had I started to remember more on my truck that were acting up. My radio also would stay on,my fasten seat belt or door ajar would chime all the time,my headlights would go on in the middle of the night
Old 11-11-2009, 09:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

PM sent

Mark

Old 11-11-2009, 10:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
gdp

I'm having problems too but different than mentioned. I've been trying to install an alarm system, probably touched a wrong wire and now I don't have instrument lights, parking lights, or fog lights. I've disconnected the alarm system and the fuses in the cab look ok. Any ideas...could it be the VSM? Is there a way to get a wiring diagram for an 02? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by gdp; 11-12-2009 at 10:29 AM.
gdp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2010, 07:10 AM   #12 (permalink)

Mark were did you purchase your VCM?

I'd like to know also...Mark were did you purchase your VCM?

Thanks,
SKI
paulwestski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2010, 09:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

Ski,

Do you mean the VSM or VCM.........?

I frequent a different diesel forum. There is a guy name ED there (forum sponsor and a Ford dealer) I got the VSM from him. Paid ~$120 bucks plus the programming (that was $140 more to a local stealer).

I heard the VSM's are backorderd now !

Good Luck

Mark
Old 10-31-2013, 02:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

2002 f250 module

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford_doctor View Post
Mark is correct, in 2002 the GEM was no longer used and it's functions were split up by three seperate modules: the instrument cluster (IC) the vehicle security module (VSM) and in 4X4 equipped truck, the 4X4 module.
I am new here and trying to troubleshoot my husband's truck. I have more time on my hands I guess than he does. Maybe I should have started a new post but his reply was kind of what the problem is all about. 4x4 is not working on our 2002 F250 7.3L and there is no light on the dash switch, key fob doesn't work, put key in to unlock door and alarm goes off, radio stays on, there has been times the windows wouldn't work in the heat of the summer and the dome light was staying on after starting for about 15 minutes. From reading info on other sites (didn't find yours til now) he had swapped the relays and checked the fuses. After swapping the relays the dome light now works as it should. He also took to a friend of his brothers who is a mechanic and ex ford tech. He tested everything & ran diagnostics and thinks the problem is a wire somewhere. He did find a corroded wire in the instrument cluster and replaced it but it didn't fix anything. He said he could not test the gem/4x4 control module though. We had read numerous posts stating on the 2002 f250 4x4 7.3L they had replaced their gem and fixed some of these 4x4 and electrical problems. The part number behind the dash on my husband's truck is YL34-14B205-BA and is referred to as a GEM/4x4 shift control. The replacement part we purchased is 3C3Z-14B205-AA. The mechanic agrees with the above quote and stated that the part is just a 4x4 control module and doesn't control anything else. He plugged it in and didn't program it and said it did not fix the 4x4. Any thoughts on something I read that stated "they stopped mounting the vsm/gem behind the fuse box in late 01 due to the water problems shortening them out. The 4x4 along with the windows, power door locks, and everything else it controls is all in one box."
Just hoping for a fix using a part already purchased. Like I said he did not program it & I don't know if that would have made a difference or not. I was also told by the store that sold me the part that it may not be programmable now that he installed it without programming & "as built" data may be required to complete the programming sequence.
ryno00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2013, 03:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (175)
ryno00

From what you're describing, and the information earlier in the thread, it sounds like you have a VSM issue as well as the 4x4 issue. Sounds like your guy may be capable of troubleshooting it, but is lacking the essential tools that a Ford dealer would have.

As was said above, an 02 truck would NOT have a GEM, but the features controlled by three separate modules (VSM, IP module, and 4x4 module).

First thing would be to check ALL the fuses with a fuse tester, then get it checked for codes.

Welcome to TheDieselStop
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.