Good ole ABS Light - need help - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 01:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Good ole ABS Light - need help

Had a squealing noise coming from the front brakes so I decided it was time to remove the front wheels and check everything. Pads looked good (cheap pads so that is probably the culprit for the noise) rotors were ok but while I had the wheels off I decided to remove the rotors and took them down and had them turned. Did all this last Thursday, drove the truck everyday since and today (Monday) at lunch I noticed the ABS light come on for a couple of seconds and then go off. I quickly figured out that the light would come on when turning the wheel left. Not sure the "brake job" that I did has anything to do with it since it didn't start until today but I am at a loss as to why the light is coming on only when I turn the wheel left - only comes on when I get 3/4 of the way left to all the way to where it won't turn left anymore. Any ideas as to what is causing this problem?
Bully Dog GT
Tarbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
The only time that my ABS light has come on was when I had a wheel bearing going out. It sounds like making a left turn is screwing with the tone ring.

Gone but not forgotten...
2002 F-350 SRW
Lariat, Crew Cab, Long Bed
4X4, Auto Trans, Tymar Intake
Wicked Wheel, Zoodad Mod
DP Tuner - 60E, 80E, 40T, 80T, Decel
05+ Harley Headlights
6" Upper and Lower Windshield Brows
ISSPRO Gauges, Edge Insight CTS

Sold at 206,000 miles
lone_star_dsl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012, 11:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

My second reply since registering and it's the same subject as my first reply.

The ABS coming on at seemingly random times was one of the first indicators when my wheel bearing was going out. Relatively easy fix if you're mechanically inclined.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Did you guys have to replace the whole hub assembly for the wheel bearing?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

HEROS NEVER FALL.... THEY EARN THEIR WINGS.... RIP LCPL JASON D. HILL - IRONMAN, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN. SEP 18 1990 -JUNE 11 2011
PBGUY420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)
Yep you do. It can also be the ABS wire if you pulled on it excessively while doing the brakes.

Good hubs are not cheap and take some work to R/R. Lift the front end and see if there is any play in the wheel assembly. If you don't find any, it might not hurt to take the chance on the cost of a new sensor before the work and cost of replacing the hub, especially if just after a brake job.

Truck Pictorials on Facebook. Google - Facebook TooManyToys

Step Lights;Painted Flanges; Bypass Oil Filter; Heated Mirror Switch; Reverse Lights; 7.3L Fuel Reg Shim; 6 Disc Radio Speed Volume Mod; Coolant Filter, etc.
FMTRVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2012, 12:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

Camp Lejeune! Semper Fi bro.

Yes, as the other poster already replied, you do have to replace the whole hub assembly.

Lift the front end, check for wheel play, etc.

Swapping in a new hub assembly does take some time, but it's not too technically intense. Online tutorials will mention that it's a little bit of work to get the hub off of the spindle once the hardware is removed, but mine was seized to the axle. Long story short, that wasn't as much trouble as it might sound like, but it did slow us down a bit.

When my bearing went out, I was pulling into the driveway so the damage was minimal, but the bearing did technically quit working to the extent that it was not drivable. Point being that I damaged my brake caliper and rotor more than I realized and had to make multiple trips to the store so don't forget to check everything out before you get neck deep in the process. The pistons had over-extended which I didn't realize until I had everything buttoned back up.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Ya thanks brother I just bought the whole assembly so hopefully I'll be able to get it on tomorrow... Got some new ink getting done tonight the hub will have to wait while I drive the wife's car

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

HEROS NEVER FALL.... THEY EARN THEIR WINGS.... RIP LCPL JASON D. HILL - IRONMAN, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN. SEP 18 1990 -JUNE 11 2011
PBGUY420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.