how-to 2001 F250 power door lock actuator replacement info - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2008, 10:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up how-to 2001 F250 power door lock actuator replacement info

For anyone that has a lazy power door lock actuator motor, don't think you can replace the factory piece with a generic one.

I got a replacement for the front passenger side actuator from Ford Parts and Ford Diesel Parts at Powerstroke Shop (wabash work trucks). Just under $40 bucks. Not cheap but this is direct replacement.

It's a funky unit, looks nothing like traditional door solenoids.

You'll have to remove the door trim. First take off the pillar cover (pulls off). Pull up on front of power window/door lock panel, remove. Remove trim bolt under there. Remove both electrical connectors from the door lock/window switch panel. Remove door light lens with small flat screwdriver, remove hidden trim bolt there.

Pull up on door panel. Pull a few inches away from the door. Remove door light from back of panel (twist and pull). Place door panel out of the way.

Pull back inner door cover. Remove 3 bolts that hold door latch in place (right by the striker hole). Remove door handle actuator rod from upper mount, use large screwdriver to push apart retainer.

Remove 10mm window regulator/rail fastener.

Remove yellow door lock button fastener that holds door lock button rod.

Unplug door lock actuator electrical connector, use small flat blade screwdriver to pry up slightly on retainer while using a larger screwdriver to pry out the plug.

Get your tiny hand into the larger door panel hole and reach back to release the green/black retainer that holds the rod coming from the outer door handle.

Push the clip into the door that holds the cable that comes from the inside door handle to the lock. So you can move the latch around freely.

Push the window regulator/rail towards the outside of the door (away from you) and fiddle the lock mechanism with actuator towards the large hole in the inside door.

Once you can twist the lock mechanism/actuator enough, use a flat screwdriver to pry up the retainer on the inside of the actuator where it slides sideways onto the lock mechanism. Pull it at the same time to remove it.

Install is in reverse with new actuator.
2001 F250 4x4 crew lariat 7.3L auto, DP Tuner F5 no-start/valet/20tow/80econo/140aggressive, NAPC 450series trans w/billet triple disc TC, ISSPRO egt/boost/pyro, foil delete, 6" stainless tip, Magnaflow 17979 4" turbo-back, dieselsite boots & coolant filter kit, HX crossover, boost fooler, 6.0L trans cooler, ported turbo housing, DIY 6637 Tymar, billet grill, line-x bedliner, bug deflector, tint, 08' alum diff cover, clear corners & tails, silverstar bulbs, 2000w inverter, Tekonsha Primus, 220A HD alternator, etc.

2009 VW Jetta 2.0TDI 6spd Highline full load except nav. 19" Audi RS6 rims. REVO tuned. AS7609 navi head unit 7" touch, Custom fiberglass box MD Sound 12" & Boss NXD5500 amp. Tint is next.
westvandude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2009, 10:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Do you have a part number on the actuator....I looked on their website but couldn't really figure out what I'm going to need. Gotta do 3 out of the 4 doors on my truck.
buddha43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2009, 10:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

No, I don't have the part # but not all parts are listed on their website and/or easy to find. Give them a phone call and they will give you the part number that you can slap into their online system.
2001 F250 4x4 crew lariat 7.3L auto, DP Tuner F5 no-start/valet/20tow/80econo/140aggressive, NAPC 450series trans w/billet triple disc TC, ISSPRO egt/boost/pyro, foil delete, 6" stainless tip, Magnaflow 17979 4" turbo-back, dieselsite boots & coolant filter kit, HX crossover, boost fooler, 6.0L trans cooler, ported turbo housing, DIY 6637 Tymar, billet grill, line-x bedliner, bug deflector, tint, 08' alum diff cover, clear corners & tails, silverstar bulbs, 2000w inverter, Tekonsha Primus, 220A HD alternator, etc.

2009 VW Jetta 2.0TDI 6spd Highline full load except nav. 19" Audi RS6 rims. REVO tuned. AS7609 navi head unit 7" touch, Custom fiberglass box MD Sound 12" & Boss NXD5500 amp. Tint is next.
westvandude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2010, 05:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

I used a aftermarket actuator on the driver side today and so far, so good! Got it from O'Reilly's for about $45.
2001 Silver F-250 7.3L 4WD, extended cab, 130k miles, BF Goodrich A/T 285/75; BTS auto tranny w/6.0 cooler, AIS severe duty intake and filter w/Zoodad mod, 6 position chip from BTS, 4" turbo-back exhaust, Magnaflow muffler w/5" tip, Speedliner sprayed-in liner, Monroe Reflex shocks, Isspro pillar gauges
sparvin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2010, 11:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

Beautiful

Fantastic info for those of us who are victims of these weak door handle designs. And no matter how well we can care for our trucks, some junkies feel the need to help themselves

2002 F250 7.3 4R100 4x4 at 155k

Last edited by BigGreenJr; 08-16-2010 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Lack of picture posting abilities
BigGreenJr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 08:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by westvandude View Post
For anyone that has a lazy power door lock actuator motor, don't think you can replace the factory piece with a generic one.

I got a replacement for the front passenger side actuator from Ford Parts and Ford Diesel Parts at Powerstroke Shop (wabash work trucks). Just under $40 bucks. Not cheap but this is direct replacement.

It's a funky unit, looks nothing like traditional door solenoids.

You'll have to remove the door trim. First take off the pillar cover (pulls off). Pull up on front of power window/door lock panel, remove. Remove trim bolt under there. Remove both electrical connectors from the door lock/window switch panel. Remove door light lens with small flat screwdriver, remove hidden trim bolt there.

Pull up on door panel. Pull a few inches away from the door. Remove door light from back of panel (twist and pull). Place door panel out of the way.

Pull back inner door cover. Remove 3 bolts that hold door latch in place (right by the striker hole). Remove door handle actuator rod from upper mount, use large screwdriver to push apart retainer.

Remove 10mm window regulator/rail fastener.

Remove yellow door lock button fastener that holds door lock button rod.

Unplug door lock actuator electrical connector, use small flat blade screwdriver to pry up slightly on retainer while using a larger screwdriver to pry out the plug.

Get your tiny hand into the larger door panel hole and reach back to release the green/black retainer that holds the rod coming from the outer door handle.

Push the clip into the door that holds the cable that comes from the inside door handle to the lock. So you can move the latch around freely.

Push the window regulator/rail towards the outside of the door (away from you) and fiddle the lock mechanism with actuator towards the large hole in the inside door.

Once you can twist the lock mechanism/actuator enough, use a flat screwdriver to pry up the retainer on the inside of the actuator where it slides sideways onto the lock mechanism. Pull it at the same time to remove it.

Install is in reverse with new actuator.
Thanks for that helpful information thou you don't have the part number for actuator, that was already a big help. They all the list of parts there.

Last edited by clarkandrew45; 04-08-2011 at 02:12 AM.
clarkandrew45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2011, 04:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hello,
I am new to the site. I registered just to say thanks for the detailed 'How To' on this issue. I have a 2001 F250 Platinum and both door lock actuators are bad on the passenger side.

I have the front door apart and have purchased the part from O'Reilly's. I had trouble getting the thing out of the door. So I will try the above instructions.

I assume the back door comes apart in much the same way?

The part number is:
Master Pro
2-DLA2

Thanks again

4RE KLR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2011, 09:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

OK I want to give everyone an update.

This past weekend I replaced both front and rear passenger side door lock actuators on my 01 F250 SD.

The job was very easy to do and only took me about 30 minutes per door with very few tools. The process works just like described above. I printed off the above directions and followed right down the line. Thanks for the detail.

I would like to add that I found it easier to go ahead and remove the door handles. They come out in about one minute. There is a rubber grommet in the door jamb and that provides very easy access to the upper nut to remove it. Just pull out the grommet and insert the socket and unscrew.

On the back door I also found it easier to remove the lock bar. Once you get the door panel and inner sheet off you will see a long bar that goes from the front of the door to the back of the door. This is the rod that moves the lever up and down in the door. If you simply un clip the yellow holding clip on the front side of the door (where the hinges are) then remove the back clip the rod will simply lay down and make it MUCH easier to get the lock actuator out.

You really don't have to do either of these but I found it easier to get my big hands in those little spaces.

Thanks again for the instructions above.

4RE KLR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.