How do I find out the exact specs of my truck?? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2006, 08:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How do I find out the exact specs of my truck??

Does anyone know where I can find the exact specs of my truck? Gear ratio, locking diff, options, etc. Does this stuff exist online? I'd rather not go to the dealer if I don't have to. The "My Ford" section of Ford's web site doesn't tell me anything but the basics.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2006, 10:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
Re: How do I find out the exact specs of my truck??

[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather not go to the dealer if I don't have to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? If you drive a SuperDuty pickup, you need at least one good friend that works in a dealership - preferably as a manager of some sort, or an experienced salesman.

The most-reliable specs are in a book called the 2004 Ford Truck Source Book. Every manager and senior salesman will have a copy. There are 10-to-12 pages you need to make copies of and take home with you. Then with a little knowledge of FordSpeak, you'll have what you need.

Or for your one pickup, just ask away here and someone will give you the answers you need.

Many of the answers are on the door sticker called the Federal Certification Sticker. It's on the lower doorpost behind the driver's door. It has codes for rear axles and other things.

For example, for your 2004 F-250 4x4 PSD, per the Source Book:

Rear axle = Visteon (Ford) w/10.5" ring gear and 3.73 ratio
Front axle = Dana 60 w/9" ring gear

And from the Workshop Manual: Axle codes applicable to 2004 F-250 PSD:

31 = 3.73 non-limited slip, F-250/Excursion
C1 = 3.73 limited slip, F-250/Excursion

The Ford Body Builder's Book contains a lot of specs, and selected sections are available online as PDF files:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...le_pickup.html
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2006, 12:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Smokey, you know where I can find a guide for the axle codes on my 2000 4x2 F250? I've looked online for awhile but haven't been able to find anything useful.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Smokey, I don't have anything against going to the dealer but I can't get to one during the day. The only one that I've heard is any good around me is too far to make it before service closes.

Besides, who needs to go to the dealer with all of the great info here? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for all of the info. Do you know what class the factory receiver is? My truck came with a tow package but the sticker on the hitch is covered up.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Smokey, you know where I can find a guide for the axle codes on my 2000 4x2 F250?

[/ QUOTE ]

All '99 thru '04 SRW PSDs have the same rear axle codes:

'05-up changed to:

37 = 3.73 non-limited slip
3L = 3.73 limited slip
Old 08-08-2006, 09:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Do you know what class the factory receiver is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Every manufacturer of receivers has their own definition of "class". For your 2004, Ford called the optional receiver on SRWs a Class V receiver, but it has a lot less weight-carrying capacity than some other brands of Class V receivers.

The limits of your optional receiver on a 2004 SRW pickup with a weight-distributing hitch are 12,500 pounds gross trailer weight or 1,250 hitch weight.

Every receiver will have the weight limits stamped into the frame of the receiver - in addiion to that sticker you mentioned. So if you crawl under the truck with a powerfull light, you can probably find the weight limits stamped into the metal frame of the receiver. Yours is probably 6,000/600 WC and 12,500/1,250 WD. WC = weight carrying and WD = weight distributing.

Note: The Ford trailer towing pkg does NOT include the receiver. The receiver was optional on all pickups, while the trailer towing pkg was standard. The trailer towing pkg includes only electrical stuff, such as relays, fuses, wiring harness and 7-pin trailer plug at the rear bumper, etc. But no receivers or hitches. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2006, 01:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Smokey, you know where I can find a guide for the axle codes on my 2000 4x2 F250?

[/ QUOTE ]

All '99 thru '04 SRW PSDs have the same rear axle codes:

'05-up changed to:

37 = 3.73 non-limited slip
3L = 3.73 limited slip

[/ QUOTE ]

I must be blind 'cause I looked all over that door sticker and found no 37 or 3L on it. Right above where it says "AXLE" there's something that says "RC: 41" and that's the closest number I've been able to find anywhere near it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2006, 11:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Right above where it says "AXLE" there's something that says "RC: 41" and that's the closest number I've been able to find anywhere near it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read my post again: For your 2000 F-250, the axle code should be C1 or 31.

I haven't looked at the certification sticker on newer trucks. But on my '99.5 the axle code is under the word "AXLE".
Old 08-09-2006, 01:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I looked all over that door sticker and found no 37 or 3L on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assumed since you were looking for an '05-up axle code that you weren't talking about your '00.

I went down to the Ford house and checked F-250 '06 and '07 cert stickers. Both had code 3L under the word AXLE.

But for your '00, it's in the same place, except it will be code 31 or C1.

Some other folks with '00s stated that it was blank under the word "AXLE". I don't know why, but I suppose Ford forgot to include the axle code on some SuperDuties? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2006, 01:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks again smokey! You've been a big help. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2006, 05:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I looked all over that door sticker and found no 37 or 3L on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assumed since you were looking for an '05-up axle code that you weren't talking about your '00.

I went down to the Ford house and checked F-250 '06 and '07 cert stickers. Both had code 3L under the word AXLE.

But for your '00, it's in the same place, except it will be code 31 or C1.

Some other folks with '00s stated that it was blank under the word "AXLE". I don't know why, but I suppose Ford forgot to include the axle code on some SuperDuties? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I simply mistyped; I meant 31 or C1. Thanks for the feedback. My sticker is indeed blank under the word "AXLE" so I assumed whatever was above it was what I should be looking for.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:10 AM   #12 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
...The limits of your optional receiver on a 2004 SRW pickup with a weight-distributing hitch are 12,500 pounds gross trailer weight or 1,250 hitch weight....

[/ QUOTE ]Depending on which receiver he got it could be as high as 15,000lbs. In 04 you could get two differnt receivers on the SRWs. Mine had the higher rating on it but when I got my 06 they only offered the higher rated one on the DRWs.
2007 Apex9.5 truck camper
1973 Bronco (stock), wife's
1973 Bronco (HEAVILY modified), mine
2006 Mustang V6, Screaming Yellow, wife's
2006 F350, Amarillo, SRW, CC, 4x4, SB, 6.0/auto (traded)
2004 F350, SRW, CC, SB, Sport, 4x4, 6.0/auto (bought back by Ford)
SteveIn29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2006, 12:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
In 04 you could get two differnt receivers on the SRWs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not according to the 2004 Order Guide dated February 1, 2004. For SRWs, only the 12.5k receiver was an option. For DRWs, both the 12.5k and the 15k receivers were options. But Ford may have had a different rule in earlier or later revised Order Guides during the 2004 model year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.