The Diesel Stop banner

how to kill chime when key in accessory and door open???

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  doczenith1 
#1 ·
i work outside and like to listen to the radio.
the only way i can get the chime to stop is to turn the key on
I have removed the black wire from the tumbler which stopped the chime while key is on and door open but what about in acc?
any help would be GREAT
2001 7.3

#2 ·
Maybe you should just unplug the dinger.

#4 ·
maybe I will...

TAKEN FROM A POST ON ANOTHER SITE:

No More Dingers...
This is for the 1999-2004 model years. Not sure if it's the same for 05/06.

I just recently disabled the dingers in my new 2000 F350, because they drove me crazy. Here's how:

Key-in-ignition dinger
When you open the door and insert the key, you will hear an obnoxious dinging... or say you want to have the radio going and driver door open while you work around the truck... can't, the dinging drowns out the radio.:barf:

To fix this, the easiest way is to look under the steering column, at the bottom of it. There are three holes all the same size, each w/ a screw that holds on the bottom panel of the steering column. There is a 4th, smaller hole - turn the ignition to ON (don't start) and take a very skinny instrument and poke in this hole. You will poke a small metal bearing/ball in a sort of detent on the key/ignition unit/cylinder. Once you've pressed the ball, you can pull the whole key cylinder right out. Now, you can look inside where the key part was and remove the little brass contact... it just pops out. Or, you can put a bit of electrical tape over it, or over the corresponding contact on the key cylinder. Replace the key cylinder and no more key dinger.

An alternate fix is to remove the lower panel by removing the three screws, and then follow the black/pink wire all the way up the column, leading right to the key cylinder. Remove the little red clip, and unplug the wire. If you want to you can just snip this wire, but then if you ever wanted to reinstate the dinging, you've got to repair the wire.

Seat Belt Dinger (Minder)
Refer to your owners manual, under Seat Belt Minder, for the procedure for your truck. It involves turning the key a certain way, and buckling/unbuckling the belt a number of times. It's a ridiculous little dance, really, but it works... sometimes. I've tried it a few times on mine to no avail.

Others have simply reached under the seat and unplugged the smaller connector, which disables the seatbelt warning dings/lights. (The larger connector is for power seats, if so-equipped.) Some feel that this will have negative repurcussions on the air bag system, so the choice is up to you.

Lights-On Dinger
This is the dinger that blares when you open the driver door and turn on the lights without starting the truck. Sometimes, I like to go out to the truck, put on the parking lights, and make a few trips loading stuff up, with no plans to start it for a while. The dinging about drove me nuts. After extensive searching for a fix for this, and only finding posts about the key-in-ignition dinger that stated "does not affect lights-on dinger!" I posted on TDS, and FordMasterTechnician (FMT) came to the rescue.

You remove the headlight switch, and disconnect or cut the white wire with red tracer. On older models with no foglights, to remove the headlight switch you turn the lights on, pull out the swtich so it sort of pops out a bit, then insert a tiny probe of some sort into the hole you'll see. This will release the knob itself, which you pull off, then turn 180 degrees and reinsert the knob. Turn the lights off... then you sort of have to turn them back toward ON, and you will feel the switch hit a release lever, and the entire black rectangular unit, including dimmer switch, pulls right out. On newer models with foglights, where popping the switch out a notch activates fogs, I believe you simply yank the whole unit out to remove the headlight switch.

Be sure that you always check to make sure your lights are off when you finally leave the truck to go inside or wherever... without a dinger, you just might forget and leave them on and come back to a drained battery.

If anyone needs clarification on anything, please don't hesitate to ask!

#5 ·
maybe I will...

TAKEN FROM A POST ON ANOTHER SITE:

No More Dingers...
This is for the 1999-2004 model years. Not sure if it's the same for 05/06.

I just recently disabled the dingers in my new 2000 F350, because they drove me crazy. Here's how:

Key-in-ignition dinger
When you open the door and insert the key, you will hear an obnoxious dinging... or say you want to have the radio going and driver door open while you work around the truck... can't, the dinging drowns out the radio.:barf:

To fix this, the easiest way is to look under the steering column, at the bottom of it. There are three holes all the same size, each w/ a screw that holds on the bottom panel of the steering column. There is a 4th, smaller hole - turn the ignition to ON (don't start) and take a very skinny instrument and poke in this hole. You will poke a small metal bearing/ball in a sort of detent on the key/ignition unit/cylinder. Once you've pressed the ball, you can pull the whole key cylinder right out. Now, you can look inside where the key part was and remove the little brass contact... it just pops out. Or, you can put a bit of electrical tape over it, or over the corresponding contact on the key cylinder. Replace the key cylinder and no more key dinger.

An alternate fix is to remove the lower panel by removing the three screws, and then follow the black/pink wire all the way up the column, leading right to the key cylinder. Remove the little red clip, and unplug the wire. If you want to you can just snip this wire, but then if you ever wanted to reinstate the dinging, you've got to repair the wire.

Thanks, i have already removed it and the dinging has stopped UNLESS the key is in the ACC position, (turn key counter clockwise)
The dam thing still dings.

maybe my question should be: is there more current draw on the battery or some other negative effect of leaving the key in the "on" position with out the engine running?

thanks for the help
Larry

#6 ·
The dinger in my 2002 will stop dinging after about 10 minutes when I leave the door open with the key in the ACC position for listening to the radio.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.