I get a static shock every time I get out of the truck! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2005, 05:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I get a static shock every time I get out of the truck!

Every time I step out of the truck, I get a pretty strong shock when I touch the door to close it. Sometimes it's quite painful!
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

It's hot here so I'm not even wearing sweaters or anything that would normally produce static.

Is here a way to ground out so this doesn't happen?
174K *With a FIXED Torque Converter!
FarmMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2005, 06:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (31)
Re: I get a static shock every time I get out of the truck!

I get the same thing. Usually I suck it up. But, I have had success firmly holding a key and grounding that to the door when you get out so the little spark doesn't actually jump from your skin...
Fat Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2005, 06:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Holding a key to the door is the same thing I do...works like a charm.

Although, you do tend to look a little goofy.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

-Mike

1995 F250 7.3L PSD/4x4/Automatic/Extended Cab/Long Box/4.10 LS Diff./B&W Turnover Ball Gooseneck Hitch/Superchip/Ride-Rite Air Springs/250k miles
mykldn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2005, 06:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hey,
I haven't tried it, but I was told if you use spray static gaurd or wipe the seat down with a fabric softner sheet it would help. I just do the key thing, but one of these days I'm going to try it.
Ravenscliff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2005, 07:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)

Read in the paper this is how the myth that cell phone starts fires at gas stations started. Also saw myth busters show on this one. Myth busted. Cell phones do not have the ability to create a spark that could ignite gas fumes. It is the people (women mostly) who exit the car without touching it (leave the door open) the next time they touch it is when there are lots of fumes...kaboom. Many were on the cell, so you see the deduction. Did you know it's mostly women who drive away with the pump handle still in the fill hole too. Many of them are talking on a cell whan that happens. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Even though this has been proven more than once in scientific studies, many stations and states still require no cell phones during pumping. Sheeesh you can't use hand held cell phone in our state while even driving, but you can eat a subway sub and watch a dvd on the ceiling mounted tv, all while surfing the net on your laptop [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

DP F5 tuner (60tow,80econo,120race,140agres) sportcomp auto meter trans, boost-n-egt's, cyberdyne digital fuel pressure, coolant and fuel temps., napa tymar w/zoodad, wicked wheel, aih delete, evans lifetime 0 psi coolant, 203 t-stat, diesel site coolant filter, diesel site trans. filter, triple disk billet TC, rebuilt tranny with sonnax upgrades,Richter69 tuned valvebody, custom waste vegetable oil fuel system with FASS pump,(Vegistroke design) Made for cold weather w/50 gal. tank. 315/75/16 DickCepek MC's, 2" front spring lift, rino liner, Fisher Minuteman 8' plow, 3.5"dp to 4" w/dual 5" tips straight out the back w/ soot stains on the bumper, and real .357 bullet holes in the tail gate, not the silly stickers.
frashdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2005, 11:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (10)

It has been proven in studies that the female sex has more static than men because the cloths they ware. My sugestion is try putting lotion on your dry skin and get rid of the silk.
j_apetersen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2005, 07:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to AAAJohn

I didn't have to use a key, just make sure that you have your hand on some part of the steel on the door or the frame of the truck before your foot touches the ground. I use to get hit hard until I changed the type of shoe I was wearing.
They said women were most likely to start the fires at gas stations because they got out and put in the pump handle, then got back in the car to get their money or purse and as stated left the door open and got the spark when they touched the pump handle again.
Men got theirs when they were filing gas cans for their lawn mowers by pulling the can across a bed liner and the nozzel touched the can.
Y2K/F250 4X4 7.3 diesel, Extracab, longbed, Build Date 7/2000 Automatic, 350 Badges, DP Tuner 40, 80, 100, 120, High Idle,Overboost control valve, Firestone AirBags, Tuff Country Add-A-Leaf, SS Wheel Trim, Pushbar, Running Lights, Cablights, 700W/Invertor, Gooseneck Hitch, Towing Package, LS/373's,265-16 Michelins AT's, Rancho 9000's, Rancho SS, 4 inch exhaust turbo back, AFE Type Air Filter, President HR2510W/250TexasStar, AutoMeterGauges(Pyro,Trans,Boost,Oil Pressure,Amps.) Electronic exhaust brake with torque lock,transmission shift kit.
AAAJohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2005, 09:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

Gotta love Myth Busters. Honestly I am going to try a non fragranced drier sheet and spray it with the scent I like and tuck a few around the truck in non obvious spots. It will hold the fragrance and potentially diffuse the static problem. Just a thought. Chris
2004 F350 Regular Cab Long Box XLT, FX4, 6.0L and TorqShift, Manual Transfer Case and Hubs, Dark Shadow Grey Metallic, Keyless Entry, Factory Idle Control, 8 1/2' Fisher MMII, XL Steel Wheels painted Black with 285/75R16 ProComp A/T's, Rough Country 2.5" Leveling Kit.

1991 VW Jetta 1.6L Diesel 5 Speed.

Displaced '97 F-350 Powerstroke XLT, auto, 355 gears, and LT285/75R16 Cooper Discover LT's. I have a Stan's Headers downpipe. Custom built cat delete pipe. 4" exhaust exiting at a 45 in front of the rear wheel, chrome of course. Homemade open element with a K&N Filter. 8' Fisher Minute Mount SnowPlow.
auken98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2005, 04:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ya know how they always say , Never file gas cans in the back of a truck. Static is suppose to spark it. Well, I never believed it until I ran across this http://www.big-boys.com/articles/gaspumpfire.html
tbird460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2005, 07:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

try not to wear shoes that has plastic bottoms. I have a little gizmo that takes the spark away.
wildbill1963 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2005, 10:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

what is the gizmo you have wildbill?

Some people have been watching to many mythbusters episodes!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] That was a pretty good episode.

I have been getting a shock when getting out of my van lately. I attribute it to the weather. It happens to me every spring for a month or so and then stops until the next spring. I could be wrong about the weather but I doubt it is just a coincidence. Most of the time I "suck it up" (as Fat Diesel put it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) but some of those pops get me pretty good!

If it is REAL bad you could mount an anti-static strap (like what you would use when working inside a computer) to the door somehow and just grab it when you step out of the truck. Might look a little goofy to have it hanging there though.

In the past, I have seen anti-static strips that you mount under the truck. It is basically a flexible strip of metal that moves off the ground while driving (from the air hitting it) but when you come to a stop it will be touching the ground (releasing the buildup of static in the truck). I have never tried one myself so I don't know if you would here it dragging at real low speeds (such as heavy backups in rush hour trafic).

Just something to think about [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Pair of K&N High flow filters
HPX Hose from D.I. (blew out.....pulled it and plugged now)
In-tank and prepump mods (homemade version)
203* thermostat (dieselsite)
Tru-Cool 4739 MAX Transmission cooler (dieselsite)
Boost Relief Valve (dieselsite)
Pillar mount Di-Pricol gauge set
Sonax/tricumulator (Black Cloud)
Jody flashed econo tune PCM (DP-Tuner)
Van specific regulated fuel return (ITP)
70k miles driven annually...mostly pulling 8 1/2 foot tall 7x14 enclosed trailer
Cruise on at 61mph and 1736rpm's I don't stop 'till she needs more go juice!
stroked_van is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2005, 10:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Interesting how some vehicles do it and others do not. My wife's CV does it every time; ZAP! My truck never does it. I think it is the upholstery. Leather in the truck, cloth in the CV.

*SOLD* 2000 F350 7.3, Auto, Lariat. John Wood transmission, Airdog, ITP reg return, AC single shot injectors, DP Tuner, live tuned.

2011 F350 C&C, 6.7, service truck

2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2007 Forest River Wildcat 29RLBS
Scottz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2005, 11:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

My X has leather and does it every time.
04 6.0 EB PSD Excursion, 4x4, 7" Superlift 10 leaf system, 315 BFG AT's, DVD System, Pioneer GPS NAV, iPod connection, Remote Start Alarm, 6 Infinity 5x7's, 2 amps, 2 Infinity 10" subs, 3 Pillar Gauges, 4" Magnaflow SS TB exhaust, Bilstein shocks, 8" Pro Comp lights, and airbags.

PICS http://community.webshots.com/user/skygod73
skygod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2005, 05:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Send a message via ICQ to MudHog

Since I had my first 2wd '01 I had a habit of grabbing the upper door pocket and using it to close the door. Never a worry of static as it's plastic.

'06 F250 FX4 CC SWB
MudHog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2005, 06:40 PM   #15 (permalink)

Drive naked. I have never had a problem since I began shaving my backside. Of course, it's a little awkward while filling up. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Ordered 2/03/05 -- Picked up 4/08/05 '05 Black ext/Tan int., F-350 FX4, Crew Cab, Long bed, SRW, 6.0, Auto 3.73, Lariat, Moonroof, Cab lights, ESOF, Power rear slider, Reverse sensors, Upfitters, Heated seats 40/20/40, 6 CD, Adjustable pedals,Snow plow prep, Stabilizer pkg, Tow command, Hitch receiver, PTO, Chrome tube steps, remote start, Hefty bill!
Upgrade from a 1987 Honda Accord.
FallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.