I want to build a truck-bed-cap stand for storage - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2005, 06:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I want to build a truck-bed-cap stand for storage

Greetings,

I've got a Leer 100xl fiberglas truck cap. Weighs approx 200 lbs. I also have a new (to me) truck camper. I will need to switch between the camper and the cap quite frequently during camping season. I am looking for an easy means of removing the cap, and storing it on a "rack" type device.

I saw a plan that a guy made where he dug 4 footings and stuck 4 vertical 4x4 fence posts in with concrete. He had cut a rectangular notch out of the top (end) of each one. What he does is he backs the truck between the posts, gets in the back and removes the clamps. Then he lifts one end of the cap with his back, and slides a 10 foot 2x4 (on edge) between the cap and the bed rails. He repeats this on the other end of the cap.

Then he lifts one end of one 2x4 (and cap) so the 2x4 fits in the notch on the top of one of the fence posts. He repeats this with the remaining 3 sides, then just drives out.

I don't have a spot in my yard where I can sink poles. I was hoping to build something out of 2x4's or similar, that would be movable. Something like 4 A frames (like a 5 foot step ladder type of stucture) and then like the guy above, lift the cap, slide in a couple of 2x4s and set it on (into) the A frames. I realize that this is a simple description, but that there are many variations.

I am also toying with the idea of building a gantry type structure, and lifting the cap off. The problem with this is; How do I move the cap to a storage area (away from the gantry)? I don't have any suitable trees to hang it from either.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Paul.../NH
03 F-350 Lariat CC 4x4 Long bed DRW 5 speed auto, 36,504 Miles, white/silver, Built 11/02, engine build 11/19/02. RC8 - B28.0.9 flash, Adj pedals, Off road pkg, Camper pkg, Adv security pkg, Michelin LTX, Firestone Ride-Rite air bags, TT heated mirrors, Home Depot Gutter Guard grill.
pwolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2005, 03:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Re: I want to build a truck-bed-cap stand for storage

I did something similiar in my 2-car garage. I used 4 weight-rated eye-bolts and screwed them into the roof support beams. I have lengths of chain attached to each with a quick-release latch at the end. I cut 2 lengths of 2x6 lumber and attached another eye-bolt at each end. When I'm ready to remove the topper, I remove the clamps and slid the boards between the topper and the truck. One at the front, one at the back. I back into the garage, hook the boards with the chains and drive out from under it. I can easily remove or replace the topper by myself. The topper remains suspended by the chain until I'm ready to put it back on.
Todd.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (10)
Re: I want to build a truck-bed-cap stand for storage

My biggest question is it a slide in camper. If it is and you are able to drive to the camper can you build the rack alongside the camper.Think of a boat house and the way they lift boats out of the water.
j_apetersen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.