The Diesel Stop banner

Ignition key won't turn!!

5K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  oilcan1001 
#1 ·
Whent out to start the truck this morning and my key will not turn!! Even if you take the tension off the steering wheel it will not turn.. [censored]!
Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Got the right Key??
Squirt some WD40 in there, run the key in and out a few times.

Might be able to pull the tumbler out but if it's the key not setting correctly, that won't happen either.

#4 ·
Make sure there is no tension on the steering wheel and then try to turn the key to accessory. Then try turning to run. Do this three or four times and it will let go (MAYBE).
Joe

#7 ·
Mine has done that a couple of time if I shut the truck off with the wheels turned.
First time I jacked the front off the ground to get it to turn.
The other time I pulled the steering wheel hard to one side and that worked. A PIA either way.

#8 ·
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffhask</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whent out to start the truck this morning and my key will not turn!! Even if you take the tension off the steering wheel it will not turn.. [censored]!
Any suggestions? </div></div>

Jeff, post back and let us know how you got it to let go. Surely it's not still sitting there locked up.
Joe

#10 ·
after ten years . . . yeah I think we can give up on this one.

#11 ·
Similar post on ps.org 6yrs old, I got a reply today from OP, :clap:

#12 ·
What was the response?

#13 ·
Holy thread resurrection batman! The problem with my truck turned out to be a worn out key. I had a locksmith cut me a new key... not copy my existing key, but cut a new key to the correct depth like a brand new key and boom everything worked and it easily rolled back into ACC mode with no problems. There are two ways to do this, a dealership may be able to get you the code based on your VIN if you can provide proof of ownership, or a good locksmith should be able to cut you a new key to spec... no clue how they do it, but the locksmith did it for me. Best of luck and hope this helps!

I actually went to my local dealer and they said they only keep key records for like 10 yrs so SOL.
I asked a locksmith and he said cost would be about $50. I just havent pulled the trigger yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.