Installing pit an arm - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 05:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to rammertide07
Installing pit an arm

Putting the new steering gear box on.

Should the shaft be turned so its all the way in? Half way?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App
2001 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/ Aeroforce Interceptor/ BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/ 4" turbo back straight exhaust / CCV Mod /DIY 6637/ TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40 Tow WITH Whsiper tune, 80 Daily Driver, 100 Race, 140 Extreme, 140 smoke show)/160/stock FFD/PowerSlot rotors and green EBC pads/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Hood/HPx/FRx/GPR switch-Indicator

Information .zip file

Last edited by rammertide07; 02-23-2013 at 05:47 PM.
rammertide07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Installing pit an arm

Pitman arm...stupid spell check.

2001 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/ Aeroforce Interceptor/ BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/ 4" turbo back straight exhaust / CCV Mod /DIY 6637/ TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40 Tow WITH Whsiper tune, 80 Daily Driver, 100 Race, 140 Extreme, 140 smoke show)/160/stock FFD/PowerSlot rotors and green EBC pads/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Hood/HPx/FRx/GPR switch-Indicator

Information .zip file
Old 02-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Anyone?

Taken this thing off at least 10 times now. I'm so good at it, its getting aggravating. Right now, the pitman arm is as far to the driver side as the gear box will allow it and the tie rod still sticks out past where its suppose to bolt up to, even after taking all of the adjustment out of the tie rod to shorten it up.

I've had the pitman arm on several ways and just doesn't work out any way I put it on. I didn't figure I would need to adjust the tie rod any.

Any help is greatly appreciated right now. I'm going to do some more research in the mean time. Parts store guy better hop I got the right gear box:banghead:

Information .zip file
Old 02-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Just a thought, is there a difference in the F350 and 250 steering gear box?

Just read a thread on the differences of the pit an arm.

Information .zip file
Old 02-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

There are two different spline counts used but it doesn't have anything to do with 250 or 350, just 2 different ones were used so you gotta count them. Not sure what you are asking in your first post, but the new box should be centered where you need to be, you shouldn't need to turn the sector shaft, and no reason to mess with the tie rods. Just make sure the spline count is right and the wheels are straight, slip it on and set the nut to the proper torque. Then when you are done you just crank on the drag link coupling one way or the other to center the steering wheel.

hope this helps
02 F350 4x4 CREW 7.3 150K, BFG Rugged Terrain 285s, AIS, Isspro pyro, boost & tranny temp pillar pod, Dipricol coolant temp, ELC, Isspro EV-2 Fuel Pressure & HPOP, Dieselsite boots, coolant & tranny filters & 203* Stat, 6.0 Tranny Cooler, ITP pre pump tank mod, Bellowed Up Pipes, Riffraff Frx, netbook mount with AE, GPR LED, Stancor, Red Head steering gear, Battery Tender & 2 Marincos.

Last edited by bigb; 02-23-2013 at 08:55 PM.
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
There are two different spline counts used but it doesn't have anything to do with 250 or 350, just 2 different ones were used so you gotta count them. Not sure what you are asking in your first post, but the new box should be centered where you need to be, you shouldn't need to turn the sector shaft, and no reason to mess with the tie rods. Just make sure the spline count is right and the wheels are straight, slip it on and set the nut to the proper torque. Then when you are done you just crank on the drag link coupling one way or the other to center the steering wheel.

hope this helps
So I need to center the gear box shaft before putting the pitman arm on, then the pitman arm should be center with the body of the gear box? I have turned that shaft (spline count is 32) so many times now...

Information .zip file
Old 02-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

OK, the shaft makes 4 turns. I went all the way one direction then back 2 turns. If it doesn't work this time, I'm done for the night.

Information .zip file
Old 02-23-2013, 09:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

And you'll need to put the tie rods back to where they were. Might need alignment now.
02 F350 4x4 CREW 7.3 150K, BFG Rugged Terrain 285s, AIS, Isspro pyro, boost & tranny temp pillar pod, Dipricol coolant temp, ELC, Isspro EV-2 Fuel Pressure & HPOP, Dieselsite boots, coolant & tranny filters & 203* Stat, 6.0 Tranny Cooler, ITP pre pump tank mod, Bellowed Up Pipes, Riffraff Frx, netbook mount with AE, GPR LED, Stancor, Red Head steering gear, Battery Tender & 2 Marincos.
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
And you'll need to put the tie rods back to where they were. Might need alignment now.
Probably so.

Well my last plan didn't work. I've got one last idea. If it doesn't work, I'm taking it back.

Information .zip file
Old 02-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

How does this not fall under engine and drive train mods?

Is it possible to adjust the shaft that that the pitman arm goes on? I know for a fact, by looking at my dads truck, watching as he steers it, that my pitman arm is on the splines right. But the tie rod is still too long to bolt up.

Information .zip file
Old 02-24-2013, 12:40 AM   #11 (permalink)

did you match up the gearboxes when you did the swap? I think the 250/350 use the same gearbox. However the 2wd and 4wd use different gearboxes.

Its should be a straight simple swap like BigB said. no need to do anything except make sure the shaft is centered as you have already done. The pitman arm only goes on 1 way, there is no way to mess that up.
has anything moved since you pulled the gearbox? You have your tires centered? you havent hooked up the steering shaft yet have you?

EDIT: can you show us a pic of what you have going on. I just can't picture how you could be having such a problem. Even if the stem of the shaft was longer or shorter, it should bolt up. Also rereading, the tie rod does not connect to the pitman arm, the drag link connects to the pitman arm. The tie rod goes wheel to wheel on the steering knuckles. Not sure if you just used the wrong words, or if you are really trying to hook the tie rod to the pitman arm

PHP/Beans tuned/250/100 FF inj's, BTS Tranny, Strictly Diesel complete fuel system with RR & FB delete, Pius LASB from Irate, Swamps HVHF IDM.
Autometer Nexus Guages, 4"MBRP, DieselSite Coolant filtration system/billet housing/HP X-Over line. Baldwin PA2818(6637) RR Boots/CBillet Plenums, ('06) 26 row Tranny & PS Cooler, LarryB's Genuine Denso Starter

Last edited by INFRNL; 02-24-2013 at 12:58 AM.
INFRNL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
did you match up the gearboxes when you did the swap? I think the 250/350 use the same gearbox. However the 2wd and 4wd use different gearboxes.

Its should be a straight simple swap like BigB said. no need to do anything except make sure the shaft is centered as you have already done. The pitman arm only goes on 1 way, there is no way to mess that up.
has anything moved since you pulled the gearbox? You have your tires centered? you havent hooked up the steering shaft yet have you?

EDIT: can you show us a pic of what you have going on. I just can't picture how you could be having such a problem. Even if the stem of the shaft was longer or shorter, it should bolt up. Also rereading, the tie rod does not connect to the pitman arm, the drag link connects to the pitman arm. The tie rod goes wheel to wheel on the steering knuckles. Not sure if you just used the wrong words, or if you are really trying to hook the tie rod to the pitman arm
I questioned myself if I was calling it the right thing.

I'll try to get a video or some pics in a minute and post it up.

Information .zip file
Old 02-24-2013, 08:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
RDG

My Photos: (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rammertide07 View Post
How does this not fall under engine and drive train mods?

Engine and drive train: Engine, Transmission and rear and or front axle. No brakes, suspensionn, steering or tires. Thats why.
NRA Member
Retired UAW 383
RDG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDG View Post
brakes, suspensionn, steering or tires. Thats why.
Well this app doesn't have the best layout. IIRC, the browser version has the option for that specific subject area, so figured it'd fit better in the Engine and drivetrain section since its hooked to the hydroboost. Oh well....

Information .zip file
Old 02-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #15 (permalink)

I have to post multiple posts of the pics because the app shuts down when I try to add a second picture.

In the pics, the wheels and steering gear box are turned as far to the driver side as much as possible. The pitman arm goes on at 12:00, 3:00, 6:00, and 9:00 increments on the shaft.

Looking at my dads 250 4x4, when the tires are turned all the way driver side so is the steering gear box. His pitman arm is as close to parallel to the frame as it can be.

Attached Thumbnails
Installing pit an arm-uploadfromtaptalk1361717776353.jpg  

Information .zip file
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.