Installing pit an arm - Page 3 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #31 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to rammertide07
Thanks for the input ryhed. I'm sure I wouldn't need another pitman arm, and no...the original is gone. If the Red Head unit only has one big spline, this pitman arm wouldn't work on it since it has 4 big splines.
2001 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/ Aeroforce Interceptor/ BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/ 4" turbo back straight exhaust / CCV Mod /DIY 6637/ TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40 Tow WITH Whsiper tune, 80 Daily Driver, 100 Race, 140 Extreme, 140 smoke show)/160/stock FFD/PowerSlot rotors and green EBC pads/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Hood/HPx/FRx/GPR switch-Indicator

50 State + Canada Diesel Shops

Power Stroke Dyno/Tech Site
rammertide07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #32 (permalink)

Where did you get the gearbox and pitman arm you are currently using?
My oem and redhead gearbox were identical. Used original pitman arm that I thought only had 1 big slot, but I dont remember exactly.
Something seems very odd. Im with rt, not sure 2hat else to say, its supposed to be a sraight forward process.

Ill have to look when I get home but that pic that you were asking what the plugs are for look like thats where the hydraulic lines hook up

PHP/Beans tuned/250/100 FF inj's, BTS Tranny, Strictly Diesel complete fuel system with RR & FB delete, Pius LASB from Irate, Swamps HVHF IDM.
Autometer Nexus Guages, 4"MBRP, DieselSite Coolant filtration system/billet housing/HP X-Over line. Baldwin PA2818(6637) RR Boots/CBillet Plenums, ('06) 26 row Tranny & PS Cooler, LarryB's Genuine Denso Starter
INFRNL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
Where did you get the gearbox and pitman arm you are currently using?
My oem and redhead gearbox were identical. Used original pitman arm that I thought only had 1 big slot, but I dont remember exactly.
Something seems very odd. Im with rt, not sure 2hat else to say, its supposed to be a sraight forward process.

Ill have to look when I get home but that pic that you were asking what the plugs are for look like thats where the hydraulic lines hook up
Gear box from Orielly's and pitman arm is the original.

Its raining now so that means the ground has turned to soup, so I won't be working on it this evening...maybe start the intercooler.

I just saw your edited post with the pics Do you know how far the pitman arm is from the leaf springs when turned all the way to the driver side?
2001 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/ Aeroforce Interceptor/ BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/ 4" turbo back straight exhaust / CCV Mod /DIY 6637/ TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40 Tow WITH Whsiper tune, 80 Daily Driver, 100 Race, 140 Extreme, 140 smoke show)/160/stock FFD/PowerSlot rotors and green EBC pads/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Hood/HPx/FRx/GPR switch-Indicator

Old 02-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #34 (permalink)

Re: Installing pit an arm

Should the pitman arm be inline of the steering shaft (lengthwise if the truck) when the steering box is centered?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

Old 02-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #35 (permalink)

Just took a video of center the steering gear box so y'all could tell me if I'm doing it wrong. I'll post the link after it loads.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #36 (permalink)

http://db.tt/c7F5vwpE

Here's the video. In the video, I turn the shaft 4 times the back 2 to CENTER it. I then put the pitman arm on both ways it would make sense for it to go on. In either way it goes on, it will have 45 degrees left to go left/right.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #37 (permalink)

Thats how I would center it. Let me go center my wheels to see where the arm ends up. Also let me turn both ways and see where the pitman arm ends up. Really wish one of us was closer to you to try and help you figure this out.

I'll report back soon

Ok Rammer, got some info for you.
Looks like the pitman arm is straight (inline with the frame) when tires are straight adn steering wheel centered.

Turned all the way to the left minus the natural backoff doing this by yourself. I have roughly a qtr in os so before the pitman arm hits the leaf spring. Thats how you said your dads truck was too.

When I turn all the way to the right, the pitman arm appears to be at a 45* angle from straight towards the right (passenger side)

something that might help also: Measuring myself, from the far pass side (outside) of the zirk of the drag link attaching to the tie rod, measuring to the center of the zirk of the drag link attached to the pitman arm is 37.25". This should give you a rough measurement of how long your drag link should be.
So basically letting the tape edge catch the lower zirk to the middle of the top zirk is approx 37.25". Hope that makes sense and possibly helps with something.

I'm starting to wonder if you got a 2wd gearbox and it aligns the pitman arm differently? Or maybe v10 vs diesel is different? IDk. with the gearbox centered as you showed in your vid, the pitman arm should definitely be inline with the truck/frame.

PHP/Beans tuned/250/100 FF inj's, BTS Tranny, Strictly Diesel complete fuel system with RR & FB delete, Pius LASB from Irate, Swamps HVHF IDM.
Autometer Nexus Guages, 4"MBRP, DieselSite Coolant filtration system/billet housing/HP X-Over line. Baldwin PA2818(6637) RR Boots/CBillet Plenums, ('06) 26 row Tranny & PS Cooler, LarryB's Genuine Denso Starter

Last edited by INFRNL; 02-25-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:44 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFRNL View Post
Thats how I would center it. Let me go center my wheels to see where the arm ends up. Also let me turn both ways and see where the pitman arm ends up. Really wish one of us was closer to you to try and help you figure this out.

I'll report back soon

Ok Rammer, got some info for you.
Looks like the pitman arm is straight (inline with the frame) when tires are straight adn steering wheel centered.

Turned all the way to the left minus the natural backoff doing this by yourself. I have roughly a qtr in os so before the pitman arm hits the leaf spring. Thats how you said your dads truck was too.

When I turn all the way to the right, the pitman arm appears to be at a 45* angle from straight towards the right (passenger side)

something that might help also: Measuring myself, from the far pass side (outside) of the zirk of the drag link attaching to the tie rod, measuring to the center of the zirk of the drag link attached to the pitman arm is 37.25". This should give you a rough measurement of how long your drag link should be.
So basically letting the tape edge catch the lower zirk to the middle of the top zirk is approx 37.25". Hope that makes sense and possibly helps with something.

I'm starting to wonder if you got a 2wd gearbox and it aligns the pitman arm differently? Or maybe v10 vs diesel is different? IDk. with the gearbox centered as you showed in your vid, the pitman arm should definitely be inline with the truck/frame.
Awesome info INFRNL!! I really appreciate your help. Seems like the spline shaft of the steering gear box must be 45 degrees off. Makes me a little happy that I'm not just making it hard on myself.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:45 PM   #39 (permalink)

Also, not sure on V10 gear box vs 7.3 gear box but I did go back up there with my dad to get some oil and filter for his truck and got the 2wd and 4wd part numbers. I was kind of surprised when they gave me the same part number. I thought they were different??

Old 02-25-2013, 11:56 PM   #40 (permalink)

I did this same job today. At 2 turns which is centered the pitman arm should just about be vertical. Once drag link is on, straighten wheels. Then straighten steering wheel if moved and slip steering shaft over.
2001 F-350 CC ZF-6 DRW 4x4 4.10, 7.5 ton modified J&I flatbed dump, Rifraff frx, Garret BB, Non EBPV pedistal, IH bellowed pipes, DP tuner F-6 chip, SB dual disk, Midwest short shifter, Ranch Hand legend front end, Ford AIS, AGR super pump, AGR gearbox, Mile Marker 10k hydraulic, 4 inch turbo back, Riffraff boots, Pacbrake, 2WD Low mod, ISSPRO boost, pyro, trans gauges, DIY gooseneck/bumper hitches, Prodigy brake controller, 4 leaf overload springs, Viair compressor with horn, Dieselsite 203* t-stat, ESOF lines, DIY Oil HX mod, 08 mirrors, 245/70r19.5 tires. All led lights.

1997 F-250 EC SB ZF-5, 4x4, d60 front swap, E-fuel, Full Force stage 1s, DP F-5 chip, Swamps IDM, 6637 filter, 3in downpipe to 4 in exhaust muffler delete. Leveling kit on 18 weld wheels and 35's, all led lights, Reunel Rear bumper, Flatbed w/stackrack

AE in Northern California
fire57dan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #41 (permalink)

New gear box should be here in the morning. Something tells me its not going to be any better.

Can anyone confirm if the 2wd and 4wd gear box is the same?

Old 02-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #42 (permalink)
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

I know there is a 32 tooth and a 36 tooth variant - I believe the 2WD uses the 32 tooth and the 4WD uses the 36 tooth.
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 09:57 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
I know there is a 32 tooth and a 36 tooth variant - I believe the 2WD uses the 32 tooth and the 4WD uses the 36 tooth.
The spline count is for the steering shaft right? I don't see the same pitman arm going on if they were different spline count. The parts store guy counted 32 splines twice. I'll try to dig more into this. Thanks RT.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:09 PM   #44 (permalink)

I know that there is a difference somewhere between 2wd/4wd or v10/7.3. We have all ford trucks at work and they had to order a gearbox. They might have even had the same issue as you, I do not recall. There is definitely a difference, I just wish I knew where it was exactly.

I'm just hoping there was an issue during build process on the one you are having troubles with. I also hope the one tomorrow resolves your issue. Best of luck; I know you will keep us posted

Old 02-26-2013, 11:37 PM   #45 (permalink)

I will, I like giving the reolutions to the issue

I did find this in my searches...PSN link in case its blocked.

http://"PSN".com/forums/showpost.php?p=1786956&postcount=9

I also tried going on Ford parts site and use my VIN # but it still gave me every option.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/97...36-spline.html

Last edited by rammertide07; 02-26-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.