Need More F250 Headlight Aiming Advice - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2006, 07:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need More F250 Headlight Aiming Advice

Reference my previous post a few days agao regarding how to adjust headlights. Last night I drove my F250 and my wife brought her Jeep Cherokee for comparison over to a dark parking lot. While I could adjust both beams up/down and side to side, I found that the right headlight had a distinctly different beam pattern compared to the left side. I stood in front of each headlight one at a time to see the effect of only one beam. The right beam pattern was actually two distinct bright patterns with one pattern higher than the other while the left beam was a much more even pattern similar to the sealed beam pattern from my wife's car. No amount of adjustment of the top two adjusting screws had any impact on the beam pattern.

Is there a third adjustment (beam pattern?)that requires a special tool or is there something else going on here?

Thanks;

Dick
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2006, 08:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
Re: Need More F250 Headlight Aiming Advice

If your talking about adjusting the beam pattern like a flashlight...no you can't.

Are both bulbs the same in your headlights?

Special Thanks to: Trucktoyzperformance, Autometer, Rize Industries, MBRP, Line-X of Friendswood TX, Accufab Racing, Painless Performance, Retrax, OilGuard, and DC Customs

Also brought to you by Critical Fight Gear & Suckerpunch Entertainment
Suckerpunch Entertainment
Bear_Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2006, 02:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well the bulbs are hidden behind the small bulb reflector (not the main big reflector). It looks like the small bulb reflector distance to bulb might be adjustable but I don't know how that adjustment is made.

Dick
Old 09-17-2006, 04:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)

Your not going to be able to adjust the beam pattern. This is in the structure of the lens and housing itself.

The above suggestion about checking the bulbs to see if they are the same is good. I have run across situations where the bulbs were made by two different manufacuters and the pattern was different.

Again not to say that installing new bulbs is going to adjust the beam pattern in this case.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

OK I will pull the bulbs and check. I ran into a similar situation with my 89 Mustang after replacing the fogged original headlights with repoductions and there was a problem with poor beam pattern. Had a mechanic inspect the headlights with an alignment tool and he told me that the filaments were the problem. I replaced them with Sylvania bulbs but no difference. I replaced those with different (better) headlight asemblies and the beam pattern was significantly better.

Dick
Old 09-18-2006, 08:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

I was able to pull the right bulb (the one with a split beam pattern) There was no mfg. name on the bulb unless it is hidden by the socket. I was not able to get the left bulb out for some reason. It is very hard to get to.

Dick
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.