Oil change frequency on 2001 f350 power stroke - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2005, 10:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil change frequency on 2001 f350 power stroke

After how many miles do you change the oil on your power stroke?
Do you do it yourself? If not, who do you have do it?

Thanks,
Matt
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
shawv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2005, 10:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Oil change frequency on 2001 f350 power stroke

3000, like clockwork!
Sample to Blackstone. Every change.
NOBODY touches my stoke!
, Dynomax, Tuff Country leveling kit, (UKN1), Onboard Air!, 29" Hadley Air Horns!
rlarkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2005, 10:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

my 2001 diesel manual says every 3000. Alot of people on here do it at 4K, 5K. I change it at 3K just to be safe. If you want, look up blackstone labs ( i beleive this is the company ) and you can order a free oil testing kit that u send them and they will test your oil and you can pay a few dollars more to do some test to show how many more miles you could have gone.. They also give you aot more info than just that

heres the link to the labs http://blackstone-labs.com/free_test_ford.html
Westin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2005, 11:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

3k to 4k between changes. My truck lets me know. I can hear it in the injectors and how long it takes to start the truck. Doesnt have that crisp startup it does like on a fresh oil change.

Change my own. Motorcraft FL-1995 from walmart, and 4 1-gallon jugs of Delo-400. punch a hole in the bottom of the old filter to drain it before removing (less mess this way). Then drain the pan. Wipe the pan clean, tap the pan and listen for any "Piston Cooling Jets" that may have fallen from the engine (not a good thing) and put the plug back in.

Pre-Fill your NEW oil filter with fresh oil, grease up the o-ring and install new filter.

Pour the other 3 1-gallon jugs into the engine and use the leftovers of the 4th jug to top off the truck if the oil stick still reads a little low.

With a perfect oil change, you should be left with about 1-2 quarts of oil in your last jug. This goes behind the seat and used on the next oil change so that the next "leftover" jug as 2-4 quarts in it, etc etc until im left with a FULL JUG and I start over.
Ford_Forgotton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2005, 01:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tut

What is a "Piston Cooling Jet" and what would cause it to end up in the oil pan (doesn't sound like that is where it should be). Sorry for the dumb question, but I have a 21 year old truck.

Thanx, TUT
1984 Ford F250 XL 4x4 Regular Cab, Long Bed, 6.9L Diesel, 4 Speed Manual Transmission, 3.54 Axles, DeeZee aluminum running boards, American Racing Baja 16x8 wheels, Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo LT285/75R16 tires
Tut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2005, 05:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)

[ QUOTE ]
After how many miles do you change the oil on your power stroke?

[/ QUOTE ]

5,000. Blackstone says I can go 5,500, so I change it at 5,000.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you do it yourself?

[/ QUOTE ]

Rarely.

[ QUOTE ]
If not, who do you have do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Walmart. I watch them like a hawk, but so far they have always done it right. And I've had the oil changed at several different Wal-Marts around the country. But when on the road I have to find a Wal-Mart with the grease pits instead of the lifts. My CrewCab PSD is too big to fit on the lifts. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2005, 10:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Blackstone results say to go to 8k miles. I only go as far as 6k so I don't void my warranty. For some reason the Canadian owners manuals say to go 10,000 kms between changes (6k miles). [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

I receive excellent reports from Blackstone using Walmart oil and Fram or Supertech filter.

Cheers,
Chris

2002 F350 CC 4x4 SB Lariat Blue & Silver, General AT2 295/75/16's on 16x8 Panther Rims, KYB Monomax Shocks, Euro Style Tail Lights, billet fuel door, Putco chrome handles, Autometer Z Gauges & Pillar Pod, Billet Grill, Bullbar, JVC KD-AR870 head unit, Sirius, MEI Reference Series 600 Watt amp with 6.5" Alpine DD Drive F17C components front, 6.5" Jensen components in rear, Better Built truck box, auxiliary backup lamps, acetoned badges, blacked out lower weld seams, Dodge auto-dimming rearview mirror, Avital alarm system, heater by-pass mod, in-tank, harpoon and pre-pump mods, 5" SS exhaust tip.

2002 Acura el (only available in Canada)
2002 Fleetwood Wilderness 31G
1988 Campion Allante, 19.5' w/ Merc 5.7 litre
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2005, 03:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Send a message via ICQ to 96Cobra

[ QUOTE ]
Motorcraft FL-1995 from walmart

[/ QUOTE ]

Not anymore.... WalMart doesn't carry Motorcraft any longer. I think I read somewhere that Ford only wants to sell Motorcraft stuff at the dealerships. Looks like I'll be using FRAM after I use up my last 3 Motorcraft filters.

Roger
2002 F350 XLT, CC, SB, 4x4, Auto, AIC, DiabloSport Predator, BD X-Monitor, Kenwood TM-V7A, Pioneer 7400MP3, Infinity 5.25" Components, Infinity 10" Sub in a Q-Logic Box, Heated Mirrors, Gentex/Mito Auto Dimming Mirror, Rear ID Bar, Uniden PC78 Elite CB, Clifford Matrix RS3 Alarm/Remote Start, Keypad Entry, Homemade "Tymar", custom, muffler back exhaust, 6 Whelen LED's in rear window, 6 Whelen Strobes in the Front, Rears still not installed...
96Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2005, 04:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Motorcraft FL-1995 from walmart

[/ QUOTE ]

Not anymore.... WalMart doesn't carry Motorcraft any longer. I think I read somewhere that Ford only wants to sell Motorcraft stuff at the dealerships. Looks like I'll be using FRAM after I use up my last 3 Motorcraft filters.

Roger

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it depends on the wal-mart. I've heard the "no more motorcraft at walmart" posts before, but mine has always had them. Although, they only had 2 fl-1995s, all the rest were for the new 6.0, and they had a ton of them!

Im not due for another change until prolly late june, and I have one extra, so I wont be needing one for awhile.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)

You can easily go 5000 miles on a quailty dino oil. I always change my oil myself. That way I know exactly what went in the truck and how much.

Funny story about wal-mart, my buddy went there to get new tires on his Focus, it took them 4 hours to do the job and when he got home he realized they put 1 wrong size tire on the car [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I guess 3 out 4 ain't bad for Wally World.
2001 F-350 XLT, CC, LWB, 4x4, Auto, Off-Road, DP-Tuner (stock-40-80-120), SP Diesel Air Intake, MBRP 4" Exhaust, Banks BHA, TAG, Dieselsite BRV, AIH Mod, 203 Stat, Sonnax/Tri Kit, Tank Mods, Redhead Steering Gear, DB Electric Starter, Di Pricol Gauges in A-Pillar, 3.5" Custom Lift, 315/75/16 BFG ATs, Delta Toolbox
Truck Pics
rdvit94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2005, 05:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

In my Powerstroke I used the Rotella synthetic, changed filter every 5K, and complete change every 10K. It was all highway driving, running all day long, so I could have gone longer.

Former vehicles, 1994 E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 International 1654 rollback, 6.9L IDI, (2) 1994 Ford E350 7.3L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 DRW 6.9L IDI, 1985 Ford F350 wrecker 6.9L IDI.

*dual ASE Master Certified, Automotive, Medium & Heavy trucks*

Owner / operator, Patriot Automotive, N Ridgeville OH
Mr_Roboto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2005, 01:28 AM   #12 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Change my own. Motorcraft FL-1995 from walmart, and 4 1-gallon jugs of Delo-400. punch a hole in the bottom of the old filter to drain it before removing (less mess this way). Then drain the pan. Wipe the pan clean, tap the pan and listen for any "Piston Cooling Jets" that may have fallen from the engine (not a good thing) and put the plug back in.

[/ QUOTE ]

heard something in my pan on my last change. thought I hit something when I was puting hte plug back in, wasn't sure, put the plug back filled with oil,

guess I better check again what should I look for. my trcuk is still under warranty for a couple thousand. then the extended warratny kicks in.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:34 AM   #13 (permalink)

The piston cooling jets are small little metal nozzles that are pressed into the block and shoot engine oil directly at the underside of the piston skirt to help cool it.

For whatever reason, the press fit fails and they fall into the oil pan. If you find ANYTHING larger than just metal dust, you should have the engine checked. If there is a "chunk" of metal about the size of your little finger nail, that aint right!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.